Alloy cleaner?

Currently reading:
Alloy cleaner?

Just wondering what brands people suggest for simple alloy cleaning?

That is to say, quick and simple. I'm not looking for a "show car" finish. I keep my Evo looking new by wiping them every use with a dry microfibre cloth. Far from practical for everyday use and that is what the Panda is for.

Any opinions of Sonax Xtreme?

For the last two years on the Panda, I've been using Sonax Xtreme wheel cleaner on the alloys. Can't say I notice any damage to them and the product certainly cleans them up.

Here's a wheel with about 3 weeks of brake dust on...

After applying the Sonax it turns purple (even the brake disc)...

Given a couple of minutes to work and a very good wash off afterwards..

Rather clean, but is that purple stuff doing any good to the alloy, the brakes or even the tyre?

Hmm, yes I do know my nuts are rusty. :p

on my company car I use a dilution of Flash floor cleaner and spray that on, seems to shift the dirt and brake dust quite well, don't think it ever harmed the alloys but I'm not using it on my own car just in case, sticking to car wash and water and a brush and cloth.

can somebody help?

iv been using wondewheels. personaly i think its been brilliant.iv used a whole bottle and no damage done.my mate recomended it to me heuses on his 147.

but iv had people go on about it saying to bin it now saying its acidic.dont know what to do or what to believe.anybody had good or bad experiences with wonder wheels?its run out now so im going to need more stuff so i wanted to ask before buying more.

If you take car of your wheels then buy some bilberry wheel cleaner or normal car shampoo will do the job if you clean them on a reg also you should consider sealing them with something like poorboys wheel seal or planet polish wheel seal+shine etc. Ive used wonder wheels before and id say it should only be used on wheels which are buried in brake dust as it contains acid which can cause damage.

If you take car of your wheels then buy some bilberry wheel cleaner or normal car shampoo will do the job if you clean them on a reg also you should consider sealing them with something like poorboys wheel seal or planet polish wheel seal+shine etc. Ive used wonder wheels before and id say it should only be used on wheels which are buried in brake dust as it contains acid which can cause damage.

on my abarth it does collect alot of break dust.so much that if i used a sponge or something..i would have to throw it away every time as it would turn black aswell as my hands all black.

so wonder wheels for me or not?lol

on my abarth it does collect alot of break dust.so much that if i used a sponge or something..i would have to throw it away every time as it would turn black aswell as my hands all black.

so wonder wheels for me or not?lol

if you clean on a reg then bilberry if not then go for wonder wheels if you dont mind puttin acid on your alloys

Wonder wheels IMHO should be used as a very last resort (ie next stop is refurbishers!).

If wheels are cleaned often then you should only really need to use normal shampoo or at a stretch some bilberry/very cherry at 10:1

Even a little bit of wonderwheels left over without proper rinsing will turn the clearcoat to dust on them in no time.

I use Autoglym Alloy Wheel Cleaner. Can't leave it on for more than a minute or two though dues to the acid. Works wonders for me though.

autoglym clean wheels is acid based or you could try autoglym cutom wheel cleaner which isnt acidic i use this its a good cleaner.

I use Autoglym Alloy Wheel Cleaner. Can't leave it on for more than a minute or two though dues to the acid. Works wonders for me though.

Have to agree that Autoglym's wheel cleaner is fantastic. Spray on, leave 2 mins then rinse off (thoroughly). Even removed dust that had been on the wheels for over a year first time without needing to scrub etc.

Quite expensive but you don't need to use much so a spray bottle will last a long time.

Back