Technical All Stilo owners!!!!!

Currently reading:
Technical All Stilo owners!!!!!

I used to have a Fiat Bravo, now have a Stilo ... but I fitted an Ecotek value to the Bravo. The car covered approx 60K miles with it fitted.

The first thing I noticed was that throttle response was improved. I didn't need to put my foot down as far to achieve the same acceleration, which also allowed me to change gear less.

The fuel consumption also improved. But I found that within a few days it was back to how it was, as the ECU corrected itself. The better throttle response stayed though. So I left it fitted to the car. It made driving more relaxing, as I didn't change gear as often as before. The car seemed much more alive in terms of get up and go.

I did notice some draw backs though. Winter was one of them ! In cold weather the car of course idled higher while warming up. If you drove off straight away, the engine could hunt when throttling off at low rpm. This was only annoying until the car warmed up.

The other draw back was insurance .... do you tell your insurance you are cutting a brake related hose .... and bunging a device on it ? I did send them an email, but I told them it didn't change the spec of the car, as per the leaflet that came with the device ...... I didn't like that though !

When I fitted it, it did make a rasping noise. be careful to set it up correctly. Its easy to get it wrong at first, and think you have set it up. I also fitted a silencer, but bought that from Halfords, as an oil vent filter. Probably not as good but good enough. After about 30K miles, the unit didn't make anymore noise.

So in summary, yes I noticed the better throttle response on my 1.6SX. But no, the fuel consumpution return back to normal (unless I reset the ECU). Buy one for the throttle response, not the fuel consumption. Though I have to admit that I won't be fitting one to the Stilo, its good enough without, and I don't really like messing about with brake related hoses. Maybe it would work well on the Stilo, but I'm sure the fuel consumption won't be improved as the ECU with re-calibrate itself, given time.

Back