General All 500 owners in USA, report in

Currently reading:
General All 500 owners in USA, report in

MR. FIAT has been really good for me when I've needed parts.
The thing to remember regarding coils is that if they are 1.5 ohm resistance, they will need a ballast resistor in the system---if they are 3.0 ohm, they will not. Petronix is normally good gear---just remeber that little detail.

Hi all… New to the forum and new owner of a 1973 500L here in Reno, NV. Looking for a good machine shop with experience on these little 2 cylinder models. My car has been pretty much refurbished except for the tired 110F. I’d like to rebuild it as either a 540 or 595. Not sure if the block needs to be machined for the 595 upgraded. Regardless, would like to get the crank balanced and head opened up with larger valves. Any recommends would be greatly appreciated.

Hi all… New to the forum and new owner of a 1973 500L here in Reno, NV. Looking for a good machine shop with experience on these little 2 cylinder models. My car has been pretty much refurbished except for the tired 110F. I’d like to rebuild it as either a 540 or 595. Not sure if the block needs to be machined for the 595 upgraded. Regardless, would like to get the crank balanced and head opened up with larger valves. Any recommends would be greatly appreciated.
Welcome to the Forum---probably the friendliest of all the forums. If you bring it up to '540', you will NOT need to enlarge the crankcase 'barrel holes'. If you go up to '595' you quite probably WILL need to enlarge the barrel holes (I will measure my spare 595 crankcase for you). I have written a technical paper regarding the tuning of the 500 engine---if you would like a copy, contact me direct on--- [email protected]. Balancing the 500/126 crank is normally not needed---the 'from the factory' balance is quite good (just don't continually exceed 6000rpm!). There is also the problem of finding somebody who CAN balance a '2-cylinder' crank---it is VERY difficult on this side of the 'big pond'---almost impossible on your side. For honing/boring barrels I would suggest that you try a 'Motor-bike' workshop---they will be experienced in dealing with individual barrels.
With regard to fitting bigger valves, for 'road-use-only' you only need to enlarge the inlet valves---I suggest +2mm. There is no need to fit bigger exhaust valves. What DOES help is 'porting' the cylinder head and exhaust 'elbows'----the standard head is not renowned for its 'gas-flow' ability!
The 500 (110) engine is small and very easy to strip/rebuild, but I always reccomend that you mount it on a simple engine rotisserie---makes it much easier to work on.

To save Tom from measuring his 594 crankcase I can tell you that fitting 594 cylinders to the 499 crankcase definitely requires machining and a spacer. I have recently completed a 540cc engine from the crankcase up and showed the whole thing on a thread here “Nanni “ something or other, should be easy to find if yous roll down a little. The 540 conversion comes as a ready to fit kit so no machining involved and also has high compression pistons. Tom seems to have covered most of the basic formula.

To save Tom from measuring his 594 crankcase I can tell you that fitting 594 cylinders to the 499 crankcase definitely requires machining and a spacer. I have recently completed a 540cc engine from the crankcase up and showed the whole thing on a thread here “Nanni “ something or other, should be easy to find if yous roll down a little. The 540 conversion comes as a ready to fit kit so no machining involved and also has high compression pistons. Tom seems to have covered most of the basic formula.
Thanks for the information. I’m probably just going to go the 540 route. Traffic around here is murder with average posted road speed of 45MPH and most people driving 50+. Feels like I’m going to get run over so far. I read your other post and hoping the 540 will give it just a bit more off the line. Not looking for a rocket… Kind of funny while stopped at a light and having to cross a 4 lane road, I was the first car at the light. When the light turned green, I took off and was shifting into 3rd before I had cleared the intersection. Once she’s in 3rd and then 4th, seems to be okay, but the getting there is the rough part.

To save Tom from measuring his 594 crankcase I can tell you that fitting 594 cylinders to the 499 crankcase definitely requires machining and a spacer. I have recently completed a 540cc engine from the crankcase up and showed the whole thing on a thread here “Nanni “ something or other, should be easy to find if yous roll down a little. The 540 conversion comes as a ready to fit kit so no machining involved and also has high compression pistons. Tom seems to have covered most of the basic formula
Welcome to the Forum---probably the friendliest of all the forums. If you bring it up to '540', you will NOT need to enlarge the crankcase 'barrel holes'. If you go up to '595' you quite probably WILL need to enlarge the barrel holes (I will measure my spare 595 crankcase for you). I have written a technical paper regarding the tuning of the 500 engine---if you would like a copy, contact me direct on--- [email protected]. Balancing the 500/126 crank is normally not needed---the 'from the factory' balance is quite good (just don't continually exceed 6000rpm!). There is also the problem of finding somebody who CAN balance a '2-cylinder' crank---it is VERY difficult on this side of the 'big pond'---almost impossible on your side. For honing/boring barrels I would suggest that you try a 'Motor-bike' workshop---they will be experienced in dealing with individual barrels.
With regard to fitting bigger valves, for 'road-use-only' you only need to enlarge the inlet valves---I suggest +2mm. There is no need to fit bigger exhaust valves. What DOES help is 'porting' the cylinder head and exhaust 'elbows'----the standard head is not renowned for its 'gas-flow' ability!
The 500 (110) engine is small and very easy to strip/rebuild, but I always reccomend that you mount it on a simple engine rotisserie---makes it much easier to work on.
I sent an email… When you have time, I’d appreciate you write up.

Small world! I actually just picked up a 1974 Fiat 500 from Reno a few months ago and brought it to Southern California. After a few months of enjoying the car in its original trim, I have started to tear into it.

There are not a lot of part options for these in the US that I have found, but I have had pretty good luck with Mr. Fiat out of Florida. They offer rebuilt engines that might be easier than finding a shop to rebuild yours.

Pics of Francesca!
IMG_9013.jpeg
3B7233AB-6FDF-44A1-8685-F0630CFD16E2.jpg
IMG_2883.jpeg

Small world! I actually just picked up a 1974 Fiat 500 from Reno a few months ago and brought it to Southern California. After a few months of enjoying the car in its original trim, I have started to tear into it.

There are not a lot of part options for these in the US that I have found, but I have had pretty good luck with Mr. Fiat out of Florida. They offer rebuilt engines that might be easier than finding a shop to rebuild yours.

Pics of Francesca! View attachment 414499View attachment 414500View attachment 414501
Be VERY careful with regard to the complete engines that "Mr Fiat" supply. I have just spent 2 weekends (plus quite a bit of time in my own workshop) making an engine supplied by that company run properly--to put it mildly, I was NOT impressed! If you are a comptetant mechanic, I would suggest that you go the route of re-building the engine yourself. As has been mentioned previously, the '540c' conversions require no crankcase machining--it is just a 'swap-job'

Be VERY careful with regard to the complete engines that "Mr Fiat" supply. I have just spent 2 weekends (plus quite a bit of time in my own workshop) making an engine supplied by that company run properly--to put it mildly, I was NOT impressed! If you are a comptetant mechanic, I would suggest that you go the route of re-building the engine yourself. As has been mentioned previously, the '540c' conversions require no crankcase machining--it is just a 'swap-job'
That's too bad, but very good to know!

That's too bad, but very good to know!
Good morning "PeachsGarage"---apologies that I don't know your name. That's a very nice looking 'Cinquecento' that you have there---also VERY envious of your garage! I got your e-mail requesting various information regarding the 'enhancing' of the 500, but without having your e-mail address, I can't answer you direct. Contact me on--- [email protected] and I will try and answer all your queries. I will also send you a copy of my thoughts on the tuning of the 500 engine. I look forward to hearing from you.

Been lurking a little while. Just got confirmation that our 1969 500F is on it's way to us. Being shipped as I type this. This has been the wife's dream car for quite a while. We were hoping it would get to us before Christmas, but this will do.

Been lurking a little while. Just got confirmation that our 1969 500F is on it's way to us. Being shipped as I type this. This has been the wife's dream car for quite a while. We were hoping it would get to us before Christmas, but this will do.
Congrats! Looks like we're pretty close, so hopefully I'll get to see it in person one day!

Car came today. The engine definitely needs some work. But she’s awesome.

Attachments

• E1FC1C17-26E4-45F4-BF94-FC17297AFB96.jpeg
    E1FC1C17-26E4-45F4-BF94-FC17297AFB96.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 52
  • 0ECF0CB4-00B7-4D33-8685-8578B3036FAF.jpeg
    0ECF0CB4-00B7-4D33-8685-8578B3036FAF.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 57
Hello all! I'm a newer member and owner of a 1972 Fiat 500L in Massachusetts. I'm taking a trip to Northern Italy this September and hoping to make a stop or two at a classic fiat supplier to pick up some parts to take back with me. Does anyone know of any stores in Italy that sell classic Fiat 500 parts?

Thanks!

Hello all! I'm a newer member and owner of a 1972 Fiat 500L in Massachusetts. I'm taking a trip to Northern Italy this September and hoping to make a stop or two at a classic fiat supplier to pick up some parts to take back with me. Does anyone know of any stores in Italy that sell classic Fiat 500 parts?

Thanks!

Welcome and lets see the ride!

You're in luck, these guys are outside of Milan, highly respected too.

Welcome and lets see the ride!

You're in luck, these guys are outside of Milan, highly respected too.

Thanks @lazylobster! It looks like they are in Turin (Torino)? Unfortunately that will be a little out of the way I will be in Milan and driving out to Val Gardena and Cortina D'Ampezzo and looking for something in Milan or on that route. Do you by chance know of any other vendors?

Back