General All 500 owners in USA, report in

Currently reading:
General All 500 owners in USA, report in

Whereabouts in Maryland are you? I’m in Solomons. Happy to help get you road worthy if I can.

A bit north of you in Annapolis! I’m going to attempt to start working on her (and documenting it here) this week. She doesn’t need much, so hopefully I’ll be able to get it sorted myself.

I'm in Atlanta. I bought my 1971 500 F out of an estate in Miami back in October, 2020. It has a 650/126 engine. I love it. Still sorting out a few issues--mostly the oil pressure light comes in intermittently. Given the ridiculous size of the typical automobile in this country and the ****-poor driving skills of the average American, I have added daytime running lights--front and rear--to my little 500. Hopefully, that bobble-headed texting soccer mom in her 5,700 pound Chevrolet Suburban will see my 1,100 pound Fiat before crushing us like a cockroach.

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Attachments

• Gattina-with-running-lights-WEB.jpg
    Gattina-with-running-lights-WEB.jpg
    638.7 KB · Views: 94
  • fiat-gattina-rear-WEB.jpg
    fiat-gattina-rear-WEB.jpg
    820.9 KB · Views: 98
  • Fiat garage best.jpeg
    Fiat garage best.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 59
"L" over-riders on a "F"? What size instrument cluster have you---the little one with just an'idiot' light for the fuel or a proper fuel gauge on the large instrument cluster?
With regard to your oil-warning light intermittantly coming on---as well as a possible wiring fault or faulty sender unit, when was the last time the oil-filter was cleaned out? Just in case you are not aware where the filter is---it is the aluminium cover on the crankshaft pulley. It is a centrifugal filter (and remarkably effective it is too). The cover needs cleaning AND the inside of the pulley--the muck spun out of the oil looks like rubber. When cleaning out the inside of the pulley, make sure no muck goes back into the system. The cover has the timing mark cast onto it, but it can only go back in one position.

Tom: It's Keith here! It's been too long since we have communicated! That is a typo; this is, in fact, a Lusso. I haven't had much time to do much of anything. . .work is still going full-tilt. I intend to tackle the oil filter whenever a get a free weekend. I've perused the Hayne's manuals and the wealth of info found on this forum. It looks like a tight squeeze...any trick to getting at the oil filter cover?

Hi Keith---long time no hear! It IS a bit of a tight squeeze to remove the filter cover with the rear cross-member still in-situ, but better than having to support the engine and remove the rear cross-member. Instead of hex-head bolts I use cap-head (allen key) bolts and a right-angle allen-key with the short end (the part that goes into the bolt) cut down so that the allen-key protrudes out as little as possible. I realise that the oil-filter cover will only alighn in one place, but to prevent you having to fish around trying to find that 'right place', put a dab of 'tip-ex' or marker pen on both the cover and the pulley.
Your description of the American driver really made me chuckle, but on a serious note, your decision to fit "daylight driving lamps" sounds very wise. You sound to be very busy---however, don't forget--"all work and no play will make Keith a very sad boy" Life is NOT a practice---it is the only chance you will get to enjoy yourself. Drop me a line when you have a moment.

Hey all! Moved Giulia Capri to San Diego! Hope the sea Breeze is nice to her!

Attachments

• 967D47E3-58ED-4B84-B02D-31EC90DF597A.jpeg
    967D47E3-58ED-4B84-B02D-31EC90DF597A.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 58
Been taking pics all week!

Attachments

• 1B99913F-60DD-4C84-AF7B-AD08574831D8.jpeg
    1B99913F-60DD-4C84-AF7B-AD08574831D8.jpeg
    737.9 KB · Views: 56
  • DCFCCB98-FBCB-40FE-8CEC-59A8A8385B48.jpeg
    DCFCCB98-FBCB-40FE-8CEC-59A8A8385B48.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 60
I am in Charlotte and have two 1959 Fiat 500's, a Jolly and a Nuova Sport, both USA models. The Jolly runs and the Nuova Sport is in need of restoration.

1959 Nuova 500 Jolly and 1959 Nuova 500 Sport

Attachments

• 1EC643C6-00BC-486C-B2E6-E7E7CEE76625.jpeg
    1EC643C6-00BC-486C-B2E6-E7E7CEE76625.jpeg
    520.6 KB · Views: 58
  • 9AD82014-3E33-45AD-BF6E-AD4F38496605.jpeg
    9AD82014-3E33-45AD-BF6E-AD4F38496605.jpeg
    719.6 KB · Views: 65
All the information that I have regarding the 'Sport' 500 shows them having a solid roof, not the fabric type ?

Nuova 500 Sport (1958–1960)
In mid-1958 Fiat introduced the Nuova 500 Sport, featuring a more powerful engine and a two-tone livery—white with a red stripe along the flanks. Unique to the Sport was an all-metal rigid roof with three longitudinal grooves. A short-open-roof model was added a year later, in 1959.[8]

Coded type 110.004, the 500 Sport's two-cylinder engine had been bored out to 499.5 cc from the original 479 cc (bore and stroke now 67.4 × 70 mm), giving it a very respectable horsepower with the same block: 21.5 PS (15.8 kW; 21.2 hp). Top speed was over 105 km/h (65 mph).[8]

One is never too old to learn---so you have a late(ish) '59 car. Believe it or not, the fabric roof was used on the 500 as fabric was cheaper than metal!

Enjoying my 1969500L. Went to the World Micro/Mini car meet inKalamazoo MI and had a great time.

Team 500,

I have a 1968 500F, having some issues going up hill... changed the weber 26 to a weber 28 and not much difference. Now i'm thinking of adding the electronic fuel injection but haven't decided. Have any of you ever done it or know someone that has done it? or is anyone having issues going up hill?

Thank you!

Before you go to the expense (and it WILL be expensive) of fitting fuel injection, may I suggest that you check all the basics of the engine. I admit to not knowing how big a hill and with what load you are contending with, but the Italians (some who live in quite hilly terrain!) seemed to be able to cope with the car's performance. The car is always going to be working hard on long hills, but I would start with a compresion check and take it from there. Let us know how you geton with that.

Hitting up a motorcycle shop for repairs/rebuild/machine work on 499-650cc engines is a good idea that I never thought of. Thanks for a great suggestion. An in-line FIAT 2 cylinder engine makes sense at a MC shop.

I'm a fairly new member but have been mechanically restoring our '71 FIAT 500F this last year. I bought a rebuilt 650cc eng & trans from a FIAT builder in the UK. I've just started driving the car yesterday (14 Aug 21) & found very few problems. The biggest challenge of the whole rebuild was: 1.) removing & installing swing-arm bushings; 2.) getting the rear brakes just right (stretching shoe springs were something else); 3.) Restringing call new control cables through the tunnel, as well as installing new 6mm copper fuel supply & vapor return lines.
If anyone needs guidance or suggestions on anything please drop a note. I couldn't find many resources in my area, this website & the internet were helpful. I'm in Va Beach, VA area.
(I tried uploading a photo but the website won't allow it. Not sure if you have permissions turned(?) on or I'm doing something wrong.)

I think I figured out the photo upload, here it goes...

Attachments

• C878B217-D462-4F3F-A736-066BFA4BF3B8.jpeg
    C878B217-D462-4F3F-A736-066BFA4BF3B8.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1647.jpeg
    IMG_1647.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 41
Back