2012-12-19_10_54_53.jpg

Alfa 159 Sportwagon jtdm TI

Introduction

Alfa 159 Sportwagon TI jtdm

So picked this up this morning, quite happy today :)

Just before i drove it off the forecourt.
2012-12-19_10_54_53.jpg

Next to my dads car (one of my old cars lol) who kindly took me to get it
2012-12-19_12_06_59.jpg

2012-12-19_12_07_30.jpg

2012-12-19_14_11_39.jpg

2012-12-19_14_11_50.jpg

2012-12-19_14_12_12.jpg

I have decided to call it Urchin in memory of Richard Brown, not sure it suits the car but it feels right.
thats a really good colour combo, very classic looking like that, certainly better than the factory silver on the wheels!!

I'm still waiting on parts to arrive before i bother doing anything else, as theres not much i can do before i need the gaskets and stuff I've ordered - really hoping it all arrives today or 2moro as with the bank holiday weekend coming up I'll have time to play..

Also got a forum'er friend coming to visit towards end of next week and hopefully can get everything swapped over ready so they can give me a hand manhandling the engine and box back in the car.
jatkinson had some gold-ish bronze-ish TI wheels on his sportwagen (same colour as this one) - didnt look as good as i thought it would, they didnt stay either so I assume he didnt think so either lol.

I have been posting some little videos on youtube if anyones interested - not that my youtube is a proper channel of anything and the videos are not edited really - just be moaning mostly and tripping over all the crap in my garage lol
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPh65pj6Dj-Nz2AxbWr8C9_j8cEYE2EnR

well i'm slow I know, but i'm getting there.. engine is in, wires all connected up, cooling pipes all connected up etc. engine has new timing belt, tensioner, all idlers, waterpump, crank pulley, aux belt, new flywheel and clutch kit etc

subframe is all cleaned off, primered with rust encapsulating stuff and sprayed black. Got new lower rad supports that bolt to it and bumper brackets that bolt to them. Also the 2 engine stabiliser mounts that go on the subframe.

I pulled the pipe from the intercooler out the way when putting the engine in and a big bit of oil drained out, facepalm. So i have rebuilt the turbo, thats back on and the exhaust - at which point i discovered I hadnt ordered a gasket for where i split the exhaust - so waiting on that atm..

stuff left to do that i can think of right this moment: refit the subframe, then the battery tray and ecu etc can go back in (bolts for subframe underneath them), airbox to turbo inlet pipe to fit and connect maf, fill fluids, bleed clutch, put some fresh diesel in it, charge the battery... think thats about it beyond a general bolt check and check around for an MOT. Obviously needs a huge clean up as well, but its pretty close..

not been taking many pics but here is a few

20210619_152217.jpg
engine in front of car having new bits attached to it

20210619_165937.jpg
new timing belt, pump etc fitted

20210630_133812.jpg
new dual mass flywheel fitted

20210630_151934.jpg
and the clutch on

20210701_123431.jpg
it was a tight squeeze getting it under the car

20210701_144616.jpg
and hanging on its mounts

do have some subframe refurbing pics somewhere but can't find them atm.

not really taken any pics since then but theres nothing exciting to show, just pipes and wires etc, A LOT of pipes and wires haha

Last edited:
Still no more pics but really close now. Subframes on, all the front suspension is on, all the pipes are connected and clamped, battery tray and ecu fitted, battery charged..

Just need to fill the fluids, bleed the clutch and connect the battery to starter cable and i think its ready for a attempt at starting.

Re: Alfa 159 Sportwagon TI jtdm

well tried to start it and fail.. the battery isnt upto the task.

further investigation online and its slightly under spec for the car, not enough CCAs. Plus on my battery tester its showing as weak, it's only managing around 400cca and 10v under load.

It did turn the car over a bit and it did cough a few times like it almost fired but the battery died before it managed to get there, tres tres annoying. But hey-ho - new battery ordered to arrive on Monday. I could have driven into Gloucester and paid over the odds in a shop but 2moro is a family day as me and the wife are off away for the weekend without our little girl so we gonna do family stuff 2moro, then going away Friday and not back until Sunday, so I've just ordered one online from where i normally get batteries (tayna if anyone was curious, excellent company - well priced and speedy deliveries, i just chose Monday am delivery as thats when I'll next be able to play).

So we will have to wait until Monday now, but i can report that I connected up the laptop to the ecu and it doesnt show any errors, so theres that lol.

Last edited:

https://youtu.be/AlJbMpVe4oM

Can I get a hallelujah! runs, no fault codes. Ran it for a good long while, no nasty noises, cooling system all bled, cooling fan eventually started cycling. Home stretch now, might even give it a wash soon lol

Well I've gone through all the random bits and pieces now, stripped brakes and cleaned everything put them all back together with new slide pins and squeak plates etc.
Bled the clutch, a lot, that's all good now and omg it's so so light, this car always had quite a heavy clutch but now it's so light I can hardly believe it.
checked all the bulbs, it only needed one taillight bulb which I had a spare of.
the sump plug was weeping and already as tight as a sump plug should ever be, annoying. But the head was a bit rounded so ordered a new one and 5 new crush washers so covered for next few oil changes.
ermmmmm, probably some other odds and ends I'm forgetting about.

oh, I did give the bay a quick clean up as it was utterly disgusting, far from a detail or anything but it looks much nicer.

20210820_160616.jpeg
That's how minging it was

20210820_163947.jpeg
And now it's all more like that.

I've given it a little test drive around my estate and all seems to be well. So today I've spoken to my MOT man who said he could do it 2moro. So today has been spent making it look respectable, I know I don't have to clean cars for the MOT but I always do lol.

20210824_124650.jpeg
20210824_140234.jpeg
20210824_140309.jpeg

Fluids double checked, tyre pressures checked, car clean. Everyone cross fingers at midday 2moro please lol.

Well driven it about 500 miles this weekend. To North Yorkshire to help my sister and dad put up some RSJs on my sister's house build.

And drove it home with my dad in passenger seat last night. No incidents, running sweet [emoji108] Just needs the tracking doing basically now which he'll get done when he's back home. Dad will be taking away with him this evening as his car for the foreseeable.

Will I own it a 4th time after this.... Maybe, probably not lol, but I'm sure it'll be back for servicing etc while he has it.

20210830_122820.jpeg
So here's one last picture of Urchin the 159 for your viewing pleasure.

Back