Technical aircon problem cooling fan won't start

Currently reading:
Technical aircon problem cooling fan won't start

snaipaz

Hi,
I searched the forum but i didn't find the fix... when i start the aircon it blows cool air for just a few minutes than it blows air at outside temperature. If i turn it off and wait a few minutes and then turn it on again the same... cold air only for a few minutes.
I looked under the bonnet and the cooling fan doesn't start with the aircon switched on, can anyone tell me how can i solve this problem???
Many thanks.

Does the centre part of the compressor
pulley turn (does the magnetic clutch kick in)
and continue to run.

Check the alloy aircon pipe where it goes from the
compressor down to the bottom of the condensor radiator
if there's oil there the alloy pipe could be cracked.

John

I might be lucky... i interchanged the relays and one of them burned out and it made the heater fan stop working, i'll see if this was causing my problem and let you know...
Thank for the quick replays everyone.

It should kick in as soon as the air-con is turned on but it's unlikely you'll actually hear it. It runs at a much reduced speed and you'll have to get your head in there to see it turning (y)

It should kick in as soon as the air-con is turned on but it's unlikely you'll actually hear it. It runs at a much reduced speed and you'll have to get your head in there to see it turning (y)

Mine deffinatly don't go all the time. Stuck head under and checked. Turn aircon on, and compressor kicks in, but fan only intermitantly.

Aircon seems to work fine (nice and cold inside the car).

Car's still under warrenty, and needs to go back for some other bits. Do I need to add this to the list?

Jon.

It should come on intermitantly to draw air across the condensor, you can use aircon without a working fan when driving at speed but you will damage the system if you sit stationary without a working fan. (This is what I was told by an aircon engineer anyway)

It should come on intermitantly to draw air across the condensor, you can use aircon without a working fan when driving at speed but you will damage the system if you sit stationary without a working fan. (This is what I was told by an aircon engineer anyway)

Thats ok then as mine goes on intermitantly. So condenser is the 2nd rad isn't it? Is that what sometimes drips water when the car is left parked up?

Last edited:
I wouldn't have though that you'd get water drip off the condensor... if anything, it would drip off the evaporator in the cabin, wouldn't it? It'd be caused by the water vapour in the air condensing on the cold evaporator, in a similar way to you getting water condensing on the inside of windows when it's winter.

I'll be honest, that sounds more like a rad leak as they're located next to each other... :(

I wouldn't have though that you'd get water drip off the condensor... if anything, it would drip off the evaporator in the cabin, wouldn't it? It'd be caused by the water vapour in the air condensing on the cold evaporator, in a similar way to you getting water condensing on the inside of windows when it's winter.

I'll be honest, that sounds more like a rad leak as they're located next to each other... :(

It's ok. I haven't got any water leaking, lol, just wondered where it would come from on the Stilo, as some cars do often have the water drip off of the aircon units. lol.

It's ok. I haven't got any water leaking, lol, just wondered where it would come from on the Stilo, as some cars do often have the water drip off of the aircon units. lol.

The Stilo does too. I don't recall where it comes from though, as mine isn't working at the moment. :rolleyes: But when it works, it drips from underneath somewhere. It's plain water... condense.

If it's to do with the aircon, it can only come from either the drip pipe off the evaporator (can sometimes get blocked causing a minor swimming pool in a footwell :eek:) or come off of the low pressure pipe that comes from the evaporator to the compressor, those are the only places I can think off where you would get condensation forming (y)

Like you say though, dripping water is normal from aircon cars... as long as it's dripping in the right place :D

Back