Technical Aircon - broken pipe

Currently reading:
Technical Aircon - broken pipe

Re: Air con pipe

Mine was replaced during it's 2nd service. :eek: I hope it lasts longer this time! :mad:

Bit late on this thread but I think my aircon has also given up the ghost, was working like a treat until about a week ago but now only puts out mildly cold air. Time to call the dealer.

:( Is this pipe the same on all models? my air con on Jtd seems to be less effective than it was when I had it regassed three weeks ago, better be having a look under the bonnet I think

Deckchair5 said:
Blimey it's a thread resurrection:)
Modified pipes (longer and with more flexi in them) were installed from 2003 I believe

Aye, thats cause the warm weather has started. Did not want to mess with air "CON" on mine so I left it in to main dealer to get it and a load of other tricky things sorted. Will keep y'all posted on costs.

Stuart DemonD said:
And an ideal thread to make into a guide - I will get onto it straight away ;)

RICH - where you are? :spin:

I have just a couple of things to say after reading that old thread No1 is thank god I havnt got air con and No2 after seeing a photo of Deckchairs :eek: Deckchairs WILL YOU MARRY ME :p What a way to go blind

Air-con faulty [broken pipe?]

:bang: Had air-con regassed about a month ago as it was not working, all well for about three weeks then started loosing efficiency and finally appeared to give up again this week, although compressor still running pipes to and from it almost same temperature.
Had a look at famous stub onto condenser but no signs of any leakage there, but oil round condenser pipes! took it to local Peugeot dealer to have leak located and they said system still had right amount of gas in but not working even though compressor running!!!!!!!
They drained system,did vac and pressure test and regassed, said it is now working but not to its full ability, only getting down to 2 degrees and pressure/vac readings low, suspect compressor or drive.
Coming home in car tonight seemed to be working fine although only 19 degrees outside, will have to see what happens when it gets hotter, anyone got any ideas whats up with it? or shall I hope it keeps working?:confused:

re: Air-con faulty [broken pipe?]

Hi Sid
"Had air-con regassed about a month ago as it was not working, all well for about three weeks then started loosing efficiency and finally appeared to give up again this week, although compressor still running pipes to and from it almost same temperature"

Why did you need it regassed? Leak? Pipe breakage? You say "compressor still running" but was it? Was the centre portion of the the pulley rotating ie clutch engaged? outside pulley rotates regardless

"Oil on the condensor pipes" isn't right. Where's that coming from?

"only getting down to 2 degrees and pressure/vac readings low" That's a very low temp. What do you mean the pressure/vac readings low? There should be high pressure and low pressure readings. What are they? That would help with diagnosis

Last edited:

First time air-con gave up the compressor clutch was not engaging, garage said very little gas in, carried out leak/vac tests and topped up system, added dye and all ok. sometimes these things need topping up just like a tyre i understand.
This time compressor clutch was engaging but i did notice on one occasion the under bonnet fan was not running as it normally does with air-con on, I could here a quiet pulsing type noise from compressor and slight hissing from evaporator area, usually associate this with too little gas in system! garage said it had the correct 'weight' of gas still in so obviously no leak but system was not working, they drained it, carried out vac/leak checks and regassed it, said it was working but pressure difference between high and low guages was not as much as it should be (didn't tell me actual readings)
couldn't be a blockage as one reading would be way out.
Don't know were oil has come from, that must be another problem, one of fuel unions on high pressure diesel rail was leaking last week until i tightened it up, maybe its come from there!
:idea:

"First time air-con gave up the compressor clutch was not engaging, garage said very little gas in, carried out leak/vac tests and topped up system, added dye and all ok. sometimes these things need topping up just like a tyre i understand"
Yep that's normal

"This time compressor clutch was engaging but i did notice on one occasion the under bonnet fan was not running as it normally does with air-con on, I could here a quiet pulsing type noise from compressor and slight hissing from evaporator area, usually associate this with too little gas in system! garage said it had the correct 'weight' of gas still in so obviously no leak but system was not working"
What, not working at all? Reduced cooling efficiency? Poor airflow at vents?

"they drained it, carried out vac/leak checks and regassed it, said it was working but pressure difference between high and low guages was not as much as it should be (didn't tell me actual readings)
couldn't be a blockage as one reading would be way out".
It's real guess work without the figures and if aircon engnineers can't work out what's worng then I'd go elsewhere and ask for a fault diagnosis. They'll connect up high and low gauges with a/c working and should be able to give you a good idea what's wrong.

Could be a leak, partially blocked filter drier, bad regas, weak compressor -all sorts

If it's just poor air flow at the vents have you had the pollen filter changed?

If there's gas and the gas is pumping around and you're on the move you should get SOME cooling at the least

Hi, Yes plenty of airflow and pollen filter fine, did get a new one for last service but despite them being supplying dealer, and having Vin and Reg no they still managed to sell me wrong part, as its a 70 mile round trip to that dealer filter will have to wait a bit longer.
Air-con seems fine today, one pipe to compressor very cold and dripping in condensation and other very hot..........thats normal isn't it if all is working ok, Just have to hope for best and pray its keeps working as it could be expensive otherwise.
(y)

"Air-con seems fine today, one pipe to compressor very cold and dripping in condensation and other very hot"
Great! Yep that's the way it should be. Use it at least every week to keep it circulating oil etc.

:bang: Got in car after work today, turned on air-con......not working,
had a look under bonnet and found compressor clutch engaged but radiator cooling fan not running! fiddled round with three pin plug onto pressure switch on connection to condenser and fan started up, not at full speed but running.....obviously a bad connection there, should be easy to sort.

Problem two.....get in car and cool air now blowing from passenger side of centre vent and one on passenger end of dash but uncooled air coming from two drivers vents, how can this be? I could understand it if I had climate control as these a individualy adjustable but not on a standard set up!:confused:

FIAT....Fix It Again Tomorrow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:worship: Has anybody got an air-con wiring diagram for a Stilo Jtd or know were to get one from?

T14086 said:
Why...what are you looking to find out?

Basically how air-con electrics work eg how pressure switch works fan and compressor seperately.
Also woundering if some secret electronic controls (stepper motors) on heater unit rather than just levers and flaps as I would expect it to be, you now how car manufacturers tend to make this more complicated than needs be just because they can!

Nothing special,just your basic air-con set up,auto climate control obviously little more complicated because of the control module but nothing out of the ordinary.

Not a case of complicated for the sake of it but because of customer demands.

:) Its fixed, at last my air-con is working again.............found pipes to condenser chafed in plastic bracket below dirvers headlight and corroded enough to allow all gas out, fitted new condenser which was really easy (Fiat managed to get something right, just slides out from below) regassed and its back in action, price for part off Fiat £235.00 + vat retail, price off factor for Diavia one £127.00 trade!!!!!!!! so guess which one I got.....Just too dear Fiat

Back