Technical Aircon - broken pipe

Currently reading:
Technical Aircon - broken pipe

re: Air-con faulty [broken pipe?]

cheers,
just been thinking about the old recall for these units, my chasis numer falls within the group affected but it was prior to me owning the car. i'll have to give my dealer a ring and see if it was every done, maybe it hasn't all this time????

ha ha sorry thought i'd be cheeky.

I found it and typically there are three but with modified part numbers so i'll assume that's to do with the recall.

Will have a ring around on monday.

cheers decks for all your help.

Decks,
thought i'd test my engine temp sensor after reading another thread on over heating. i used your guide and purhased a 10k variable resistor, it works well but

i got the temp gauge to rise from cold to the centre but no further into the second half of the gauge......... turned to 0 it did set off the sensor error that you mention in the guide, so i know the theory works.

i fiddled until i found the point just before the sensor error kicked in, disconnected the resister and check it with my multimeter, it read 0.38. i had the multimeter set on 20K resistance which gave me a range from 0 up to 10.0.

got no fan activation at all but i was more suprised that i couldn't get the gauge over half way?

could you offer an opinion on this?

So you've taken the resistance down to the minimum on the linear pot and you got the dash gauge to move from zero to half way but it won't go above the 1/2 way mark?
And you didn't get "coolant overheat" warning? What warning did you get... just engine sensor fault?

Last edited:

i got the senosr fault and also coolant warning and stop engine now, also engine fault light illuminated.
after resetting the resistor and tuning ign off and on then all reset.

On normal running the dash temp gauge rises slowly over 5-7 minutes up to normal running temp, there is no jumping of the needle if you tap the plastic.

The only thing i havn't done yet is to test the green temp sensor with your guide. although if you disconnect it and turn ignition on it beeps and displays warning message.

i'm guessing the fact that the fan didn't come on is due to the fan control unit possibly being at fault after our previous investigation????

i got the senosr fault and also coolant warning and stop engine now, also engine fault light illuminated.
after resetting the resistor and tuning ign off and on then all reset.
OK that's normal

On normal running the dash temp gauge rises slowly over 5-7 minutes up to normal running temp, there is no jumping of the needle if you tap the plastic.
That's normal too

The only thing i havn't done yet is to test the green temp sensor with your guide. although if you disconnect it and turn ignition on it beeps and displays warning message.
If the temp moves up to normal after about 7mins on your diesel then it sounds ok

i'm guessing the fact that the fan didn't come on is due to the fan control unit possibly being at fault after our previous investigation?
I would guess so, try and source a second user one though as it won't be cheap

cheers decks,

one less thing to replace, LOL,
PS. That variable resistor thing is genious, got one off ebay for peanuts,

update:
i've bitten the bullet and ordered a new one from fiat. I couldn't source a scrapped JTD anywhere even with online breakers shopping around. Typical i suppose, three will probably turn up the day after i recieve the part, LMFAO!

i'll update this thread again when i've fitted the part and hopefully all is fixed.

IT WORKS, IT WORKS............

well got the new control unit today and just fitted it and all is now works. The fan now kicks in when you switch aircon on which means i can actually use it after having it regassed :D

just need to see if it kicks in when engine warms up, i've tried Decks' variable resistor trick but just got the sensor failing message when resistance turning too low, i'm using a 10k resistor so may need a different range :rolleyes:

A note to anyone with similar symptoms/problem, it's well worth checking everything mentioned previously in this post by Decks before buying the part as it would have cost me £175ish if i hadn't ordered it through a friendly Fiat parts manager who is also a member here, cheers(y)

PS; i'll donating some of my saving back to the forum

Last edited:
Re: Air con pipe

Anybody got a part number for the replacement pipe for a 2003 JTD.

Regards
Dave

Use Eper at the top of the page ..I did but as usual its busy at this time of day..

Use Eper at the top of the page ..I did but as usual its busy at this time of day..

I can never seem to get on the damn thing myself, everytime I try I get told there are too many concurrent connection!

Just wondered if anybody knew the part number off the top of their heads :)

Dave

Hi,Dave just been on the phone for one of the air con pipes they tell me the part number is 51742121 price £35.36 + vat and they have never sold any take 2 to 3 days to get one hope this helps.

Mick

Hi,Dave just been on the phone for one of the air con pipes they tell me the part number is 51742121 price £35.36 + vat and they have never sold any take 2 to 3 days to get one hope this helps.

Mick

Thank you very much!

Still can't get on ePER, been trying for the best part of a fortnight, I got on once after the site went down for maintenance after the DOS attack and unfortunately when I was on there forgot was I needed it for! haha

Regards
Dave

:confused:Never had a pipe fracture on my 2002 Jtd but the pipes that come from the condenser have just rubbed through again were they're clamped to the body with a poxy plastic clip just below the o/s headlight - second time in less than two years, think they might get left off this time!!!!! or wrapped in tape first(n)

Back