Technical Airbag Light driving me bonkers on a 2001 B

Currently reading:
Technical Airbag Light driving me bonkers on a 2001 B

Rory375

OK just took possession of a beautiful 2001 shiny grey barchetta and made the mistake of leaving a can of brake cleaning spray under the seat . After a day or so it must have touched the cables down there and the airbag light lit up . I see a lot of people have had the same problem .I have a full copy of multiecuscan version 2.2 and a vag cable that connects to a socket under the seat allowing me to se all the engine settings etc .

There is also an adaptor (3pin with 2 crocodile clips) for the vag cable .

My question is the following ... for the life of me I cant get the vag cable connected under the seat to get a reading from the airbag module ecu it tells me to check my port settings and connection to the 3 pin cable .

I've read all the possible locations for the airbag obd port here in other posts but for the life of me I can't see one under the passenger airbag and i've been doing some pretty funky pillates under there with a torch.

Should all my diagnostics be done using a vag cable through the 16 pin port under the seat in which case will I need a special cable with different settings on it ? Or will I have to take the dashboard apart looking for an obd adapter for the airbag ?

thanks a million

Think I might have the wrong VAG cable I just ordered another one on ebay that has different settings one apparently for the airbag reset ... I'll let you know after Christmas how I get on with it . :bang:

Think I might have the wrong VAG cable I just ordered another one on ebay that has different settings one apparently for the airbag reset ... I'll let you know after Christmas how I get on with it . :bang:

Hi, :)

you normally ( other FIAT's) use a VAG / or KKL lead

AND an Adpator ( coloured) lead

specifically for ;
Airbag,
ABS,
Power Steering

Charlie

Yeah thanks a million looking at the cables available on ebay I think I got the wrong one .. I have a standard 16 pin KKL usb cable with another cable to connect to a 3 pin airbag obd .... think I need to access the obd for the airbag through the connection under the drivers seat but using an adapter (the cable I have only does Engine )

well I'm no mechanic but I think thats the problem ...I'm sort of looking forward to fixing something on my car myself :)

The cable may or may not be the issue. There is two different pinouts for the airbag cable, older models use the same as the engine ecu, newer ones use a different pinout. See the details here: http://www.multiecuscan.net/SupportedVehiclesList.aspx
The test socket is under the passenger side glove box/air bag, at less in my 97 model. Beside the 3-pin adapter, the + and - clamps also need to be connected to + and - accordingly. Easiest place is to get a cigarette lighter plug and take the + from the lighter socket, and - from the frame.
Have you been able to connect to the engine ecu? You need to set the port latency to 1ms in windows. Go to device manager in win, connect the cable, look for ports, and change the advanced settings to 1ms.

Sorted it , new cable arrived today with 4 settings engine, abs, airbag and something else that escapes me at the moment , ran it through multiecuscan as in the youtube tutorials and basically it gave an error telling me the cable under the drivers seat had lost connection briefly . Clear error and violá ... feel like I just fixed my car myself ..lol...amazing feeling ...
(y)

Back