Technical air in fuel filter

Currently reading:
Technical air in fuel filter

smart51

Established member
I have fitted a fuel filter before the fuel pump. The car starts and runs but there is still air in the filter. I'd have thought the pump would prime it fully. Is this normal?

Since fitting it, I've had a couple of instances of fuel starvation. The pump does squirt fuel when the engine is being turned over on the starter. I've used the green transparent hose supplied by all the Fiat 500 spares people. It's ID is 5mm and is very hard to get over the bumps on the filter and the fuel pump, so it is tight. I've used the 'proper' fuel hose clamps supplied with the hose.

Is the green hose any good? Does it give problems with not being air tight?

I have fitted a fuel filter before the fuel pump. The car starts and runs but there is still air in the filter. I'd have thought the pump would prime it fully. Is this normal?

Since fitting it, I've had a couple of instances of fuel starvation. The pump does squirt fuel when the engine is being turned over on the starter. I've used the green transparent hose supplied by all the Fiat 500 spares people. It's ID is 5mm and is very hard to get over the bumps on the filter and the fuel pump, so it is tight. I've used the 'proper' fuel hose clamps supplied with the hose.

Is the green hose any good? Does it give problems with not being air tight?
If the filter is one of the plastic ones and in the engine bay, please please please remove it. They are a fire hazard. Pulse there are three other filters already in the fuel system.

I have the green hose but I need to replace it as I’m not sure it is suitable for fuel with ethanol in. As for the bubbles I always get some from the pump up to the carb but it has never caused any problems and not sure if it is to do with the green hose.

Back