General air filter "whats the best"

Currently reading:
General air filter "whats the best"

scotseisporto!

well guys pass ur vast of amount of knowledge tae ma brain matter!

k+n or something else!

performance
lastibilty
cost

now that i know i have an spi, was looking at k+n £60 or £65 cant remember!

not many people are impreesed with the K+N for cinqs and sei

GSR seems to get mentioned a lot (y)

the K+N is a poor design on the FIRE engines. They suck in hot air from around the engine- which isnt good!!

Dont get a metal coned filter - they arent filters really!

ITG look quite pretty but like the K+N tend to have heatsoak problems....

The GSR is good, as it puts the filter cone io an area of cold air and also near an inlet of cold air. It also adds some length to the overall distance the aitr must travel, and has a good volume to it - these factors add up to make it a very good bit of kit. But IME, I think its because most of the bigger companies didnt look into how they could make it good, they just bodged a solution on there!

would the k+n not be a good idea for the likes of me just starting off, as it would be simpe take out old ****ty standard and in with he new, or these other makes mentioned would this be the case also or is there mods needed to engine!:confused:

scotseisporto! said:
would the k+n not be a good idea for the likes of me just starting off, as it would be simpe take out old ****ty standard and in with he new, or these other makes mentioned would this be the case also or is there mods needed to engine!:confused:

Why spend £65 on a K&N when people have said it is not good, and spend £100 on a GSR kit which is a proven performer, you have also asked "what's the best", we have told you.

It is no more difficult to fit a GSR than it is to fit a K&N filter, unless you are talking about a filter to fit inside the standard air box? I rate green on other cars, never seen what they produce on these cars.

You can get the GSR from Oldschool (Peter) on this site, try sending him a PM.

Or I do know someone on this site Jamie86 who I think still has a Novitec or Hormann can't remember which, carbon air box which fits on the same way as the standard air box is for sale at a good price.

Aaron.

Last edited:
Also worth considering is a K&N replacement filter rather than their induction kit. Put the filter in the existing airbox and drill a few holes in the airbox. Improved low down torque on my car (even tho I am using a CHampion filter and not a K&N).

As msaid above the "Induction kits" are not that good unless you go for a properly developed soloution like the GSR kit. I will get a GSR one day but money is goin gon aother mods at the moment.

Nick

thanks horney,

for the likes of me starting off, will just try the filter change first, considering costs and also the wife asking "what the hell r u doing that fur":bang:

The subject says 'air filter', but most people seem to be talking about induction kits. Air filters as a 5 min job to replace, are cheaper, and don't require insurance notification.

I would be interested to know what air filters available. The only ones I know of are K&N's, but I'm not too keen on the potential lack of filtration :shakehead

Dont waste your money on a K&N, they are completly pointless! They give no performance increase, any you think you are experiencing is all in your head. :)

It will just make the engine noisier which can easily be achieved by drilling holes into the stanard airbox saving £££.

If your going to get a kit then save up for the best and get a GSR. Even better, save up some more and get a GSR with a BMC CDA filter which is the dogs.

Or if you can be bothered, design and make a custom kit based on the GSR but with a bigger plenum chamber (the part on the throttle body) with a BMC CDA style filter. but this will probably work out about the same money, poss a bit more than the gsr.

pandy said:
Ive got itg too, its poo! standard works better. shame k+n dont make replacement for mpi !!

Have you seen those JR filters.They do a replacement filter for a MPI Sei,They pretty much the same as a K&N but made in France,as opposed to merkinland.I will go have a look-see for the link.Surprised that you don't like the ITG?:confused: My Sei goes well,&I get good mpg from it.But like I say I've nothing to compare it to.I am just waiting for Mr Oldschool to sort my GSR out.

been speaking to a mate, he has explained how easy the set-up of an induction kit is and has also offered to help out fitting, so for the dif of £20 - £30 just as well as going induction, no wantin go daft wi the penny's the now so i think it will be GREEN or K+N, coming in at around between £58 - £68 price range for both, anyone suggest a match to:D this price range with a better make of kit.

to be honest if you're thinking of buying a k&n for a cinq don't buy it new. for it's over priced and crap lol.

use the joys of ebay and get something like this for a cold air feed http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4-Cold-Air-feed-Induction-pipe-FREE-P-P-K-N_W0QQitemZ8031753112QQcategoryZ36680QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Chrome-K-N-Air-Filter_W0QQitemZ8031993268QQcategoryZ36680QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem for the filter. you would need to ask how big the internal diameter of the intake hole is, i think iirc the spi tb mounting is around 120-130mm.

you could either silicone seal it on, or drill it and fit it with the bolts supplied?

just the same as buying a k&n 57i but a hell of a lot cheaper!!!!

Jon+Em

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
project-cinqy said:
to be honest if you're thinking of buying a k&n for a cinq don't buy it new. for it's over priced and crap lol.

use the joys of ebay and get something like this for a cold air feed http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4-Cold-Air-feed-Induction-pipe-FREE-P-P-K-N_W0QQitemZ8031753112QQcategoryZ36680QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Chrome-K-N-Air-Filter_W0QQitemZ8031993268QQcategoryZ36680QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem for the filter. you would need to ask how big the internal diameter of the intake hole is, i think iirc the spi tb mounting is around 120-130mm.

you could either silicone seal it on, or drill it and fit it with the bolts supplied?

just the same as buying a k&n 57i but a hell of a lot cheaper!!!!

Jon+Em
ran my sx with k+n but fed air box from cutting out slats in front bumper and feeding cold air, gave good results!(y)

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Pandy,

can u describe how u done this or provide a pic of engine.

would be much appreciated, still undecided on what i will do!

cheers!(y)

Back