Technical Air con Receiver Drier

Currently reading:
Technical Air con Receiver Drier

Paul TJ

Hi all,

What is the aircon "receiver drier" and where do I find it?

Still trying to find out why the air con doesn't "drain" as in not condensation but buckets of water up the screen when the air con is turned off. The Fiat garage fixed it (for free) and said the "drain had kinked". It lasted a few weeks then back to the free steam room.

I've been told the problem could be with the "receiver drier"?

I've been told the problem could be with the "receiver drier"?

Nope that will have nothing todo with damp on the inside of the car, as it takes moisture out of the aircon gas circulating the system and that moisture is such a tiny amount it's barely measurable.

Do you have your aircon on all the time or do you switch it on and off all the time?

Two things.
Firstly the 'receiver/dryer' is part of the refrigerant gas recirculation system to act as a reservoir and to absorb any moisture in the gas. The gas system is sealed, like your fridge at home, so is not relevant to your condensation issue.

When the incoming air is cooled it loses moisture to the cooling unit. When the droplets get large enough, they should drain out the bottom. When you turn off the aircon, the incoming air is no longer cooled, and will collect any droplets not drained off and bring them into the car. If you've been using the aircon on a damp day, and turn it off while the outside air is still damp, this will mist up your windows immediately. This is a characteristic. However, if there is an excess of moisture in there, it will be worse. So checking the drain is a good idea.

The drain will be under the car, somewhere near the centre, just behind the bulkhead, so in line with the front door hinges. Grovel underneath and find a small rubber drain tube. If it is kinked, it will probably never recover, so would need replacing, but check its state first.

Back