General Air-con re-gassing

Currently reading:
General Air-con re-gassing

Ems

Cruising in the Fens!
Has anyone had their Punto air-con re-gassed recently? I'm wondering how much I'll be looking at paying?

dropthepuck said:
You would be amazed at how many people think if your A/C doesn't work, you just have to top it up with refridgerant/freon. The freon should never need topping up unless there is a leak from a component, in which case the source of the leak should be repaired first. Not sure if it is the case here, but in the States, you can buy it in cans over the counter. People see the refilling connector, hook it up and the can explodes. There are two connectors - high pressure and low pressure. It's not like putting air in your tyres, and connecting to the wrong connector can be disasterous. Adding freon is not that easy and should be left to someone who knows what they are doing.

more about aircon in this thread https://www.fiatforum.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=360798

Thanks for all the info :) It's just a bit weedy - I noticed today. I'll get the whole system checked instead, don't want to explode!! :D

Hi Ems,

I got mine done for about £65 few months back :)

Most manufacturers recommend that you have your aircon serviced every time the car is serviced, and refridgerant replaced every 12 months. You should keep the refridgerant going around the system regularly by using the aircon once a week even in winter. You should also consider having the system steralised every 2-3 years because bacteria breeds in there and can cause nasty swampy type smells.. nice.

Edit: There's a place in croydon that will do it for £50. But thats probably nowhere near you (I didn't look at your location before I wrote this)

Try phoning some local places, they may have an offer on. A local place to me is doing a full air-con service and re-gas for 50 quid. Unfortunately for you, it's in Prestwick.

Cheers for the recommendations - Croydon is a long daytrip, Prestwick is perhaps a little far!! ;) One of the garages near my work used to do it for £75 and I get staff discount off that but then again I've seen some of the people who work there....

Back