General Air Box Modification

Currently reading:
General Air Box Modification

if you fit a cone filter you bypass the resonator box so removing it isnt neccessary, although i would still remove it because unneccessary plastic has no reason to be there.

M8, I'm talking about the upper resonator box(between the flow meter and the butterfly valve(number 9 on the manual))

PS: Look at this:
http://planetsoarer.com/resonator/ResonatorsAcoustic.htm

Maybe the funny-looking box has another function...?

Last edited:
sorry i thought you meant no.8.

your link is talking about a different type of resonator; one that is used on the manifolds. however it may be true that the resonator on the 20v serves a similar purpose.

Ahha! Finally got round to doing this tonight after thinking about it for a few months... a bit thrown by one off the comments about a screw needing to be undone!?

Anyways, yanked the pipe off, gave the elbow a quick twist and pull, put the pipe back on... 45 secs and a slightly dirty hand.

The result...AMAZING! :slayer:

Probably the best minute I have spent working on my car.:D

Did this mod within days of buying my 20v. Sounds awesome. I actually removed the whole intake pipe but after reading this whole thread I am about to go and bolt the main bits back in and just leave the elbow off

I have removed this junk 4 years ago on my JTD105, and now i have done the same on HGT.
On HGT the gain is 90% in SOUND...
But in the JTD not only it gives a LOT of power (turbo engines needs LOOOOTS of air! And diesel engines won't appreciate cones, as this filters gives extra air on high RPM but don't have RAM effect on lower RPM... and diesel runs low by its nature!)... it can save your turbocharger!
Bravo and Marea have this stupid intake just behind the FIAT emblem, ok? Sometimes the hood "moquette" soften with water and TIME... and goes down, partially or completely closing the intake.
Figure out this scenery: you pull down the gas, turbo start to suck air from the intake and SLAM! the moquette suddenly close the intake, attracted by the air flow. THIS can severely damage the turbo...
Simply remove either the intake pipe and the moquette and you are safe :slayer:

Wanted to try this on my 1.6, in fact wanted to remove the whole air filter assembly, I assume I have to remove the front near side wheel, then the wheel arch liner to remove the airbox ?

Thanks in advance

I have removed this junk 4 years ago on my JTD105, and now i have done the same on HGT.
On HGT the gain is 90% in SOUND...
But in the JTD not only it gives a LOT of power (turbo engines needs LOOOOTS of air! And diesel engines won't appreciate cones, as this filters gives extra air on high RPM but don't have RAM effect on lower RPM... and diesel runs low by its nature!)... it can save your turbocharger!
Bravo and Marea have this stupid intake just behind the FIAT emblem, ok? Sometimes the hood "moquette" soften with water and TIME... and goes down, partially or completely closing the intake.
Figure out this scenery: you pull down the gas, turbo start to suck air from the intake and SLAM! the moquette suddenly close the intake, attracted by the air flow. THIS can severely damage the turbo...
Simply remove either the intake pipe and the moquette and you are safe :slayer:
Senti, poichè la traduzione non e molto chiara, ho bisogno che mi spieghi un attimo meglio come modificare l' airbox, quella scatola immensa che sta nel motore della mia Weekend 110 JTD. Avevo pensato anche di montare un filtro a cono, ma se non erro, non e molto indicato per vari motivi, tipo debimetro, magari mi puoi dire di piu.
Poi avevo pensato ad un filtro a pannello, pero tutta quella plastica che sta li davanti nel vano motore, secondo me ostacola i benefici.
Fammi sapere cosa fare per far respirare questo povereo motore e farlo sembrare meno strozzato.
Lo chiedo a te, cosi come a tutti che mi vogliono rispondere in merito.
Grazie in anticipo

Just did this to my 105JTD. First thing is THE NOISE! might get used to it.

It dose seam smother at lower revs in 1st gear.

If I accelerate in 1st or 2nd to about 2,500 rpm then lift off you can hear the wast valve open.

I am towing the van this weekend so will know if there is any power benefits.

Well the first time towing the caravan with the modified air box today and it defiantly seamed to have a bit more grunt and was smoother, (y)

Cant stand the noise anymore :eek:

Have managed to make a new elbow with a larger diameter, just need to get some 90mm diameter tubing.

Hi all, just found this forum.

( 2000 Marea SX 100 16v)
I recently had my car serviced and I was told that my air box needs to be replaced, it's cracked and hanging on by 1 screw. I am finding it very hard to find a replacement (second hand) .
What is the best route to take? Do I remove the old box and fit a cone filter.
Don't know too much about changing from non stock parts.
The previous owner fitted a chip that tells the engine that air is colder than it actually is, it kicks in at 3500 rpm, you can really feel the extra power.

Any help would be great.
Cheers.

A cone filter would be an option. I don't know the 1.6 engine very well at all so cannot advise on sizes.
so i just take off the old box and bolt on a cone filter to the old out-take pipe! what about a cold air feed for the cone? Are cone filters ok for the MOT car test?
thanks for the reply

Last edited:
I'm not sure how your air system is routed, you'll most likely want to support a cone filter iin some way so the weight of it isn't being supported by the pipe alone.
As for the MOT I've never heard of a car failing because it has a cone filter. Mines always fails on other stuff. :)

Back