<font face="Verdana">--
<font color="maroon">'98 Marea Weekend ELX (1.8 16v).</font id="maroon">
- Kenwood MP3 head unit
- De-Restricted standard air box
- NGK VX Platinum spark plugs (BKR7EVX)
- Toyo Proxes T1-S (205/45) tyres on Stilo 7-twin-spoke 16" alloys
- Quad LED blue sidelights
- Type-VR Aluminum Red tax disc holder
- Richbrook Aluminium Red Uni-Hex gear knob with FIAT logo and silver/grey gaiter
</font id="Verdana">

Next meet Donz:D

The mod has had an affect on my mpg. It has gone from 24 to 21.5 on the short cold engine runs to and from work.:( But on the motorway drive to the meet I got 31 mpg:D

I think my temp sensor may be reading a bit low, it rarely gets above half and even in traffic jams only reads three quarters. This could be why I'm using so much fuel on short runs, i.e., it takes longer to lean the mix out.

<h5><font color="black">Dave. :)
Marea HLX 2.0 20v
</h5><h6>Airbox with attitude[8D] Now only getting 21.4mpg
Blue Momo Tomahawk Gear Knob, Momo Alu H/brake, Blue stuff ;)
Ecotek fitted, removed and waiting for warm weather.
So much to do, so little time.... and Totally Skint!! :(</h6></font id="black">

But...

"Plug the rubber pipe back onto the top moulding and you now have a cold air feed."

and

"But after checking the air route from the bonnet grille into the air intake i'm pretty sure that any air getting into the original system was sucked in rather than blown in."

and therefore

"All the more reason for me to put an additional pipe in from the lower grille."

<font face="Verdana">--
- Kenwood MP3 head unit
- Richbrook Aluminium Red Uni-Hex gear knob with FIAT logo and silver/grey gaiter
</font id="Verdana">

Got the new pipe in the boot:D
£4.49 for 3m from B&Q.
I'll get it fitted some time next week.

Marea HLX 2.0 20v

UPDATE... Just modified my attempt with polecat's descripted way (take elbow off and put rubber pipe from front grille on) and bloody hell! It is SO much more louder. Even on idle, it's louder now than it was before. After about 5k RPM it's _too_ loud, I can't even hear the stereo.
Do rememebr I had a significant increase in loudness from before anyway, and now it's even more significant.

Also, while I was fiddling with the box my (very car experienced) mate came over and instantly said "yes, lets stick an induction kit in". Sounded like a good idea as he had a cone filter so all we needed was a bit of tubing. But that tubing didn't work out (too late, nothing open), so left it. Just took it out for a test drive now and I don't think I want an induction kit - No way will the same sort of sound be achieved. Shame really as induction kit maybe better for performance?

I dunno, but I'm well pleased :D

polecat, U da man! [8D]

<font face="Verdana">--
- Kenwood MP3 head unit
</font id="Verdana">

Just ordered my K&N replacement filter. I'll let you know if it makes any difference.:D

Marea HLX 2.0 20v

Nice one. Do let us know how it goes. I'm thinking of getting one myself.

Also, do you feel as if the car breathes better now?

<font face="Verdana">-- T.
<font color="maroon">'98 Marea Weekend ELX (1.8 16v).</font id="maroon"></font id="Verdana">

Yeah, makes the car feel looser.

Get the pics up asap, we'll get our heads together:D

Marea HLX 2.0 20v

K&N fited today.:D

Some trimming of the rubber was required to fit it around the screw lugs.

I've not had a proper run out yet but on a short run it felt a bit smoother. Looks like an excuse for a run out tomorrow;)

banner2.jpg

Hey polecot, any news on the K&N results and/or cold air feed?

I haven't been able to take photos as I haven't had the car much recently. Probably couple of weeks?

<font color="maroon">'98 Marea Weekend ELX (1.8 16v).</font id="maroon"></font id="Verdana">

First tank after K&N fitted showed a 10% improvement in MPG. Don't trust that so I'll check again after filling up this Sunday.

The sound has been modified slightly, it is more smooth, sounds great.

Performance is prob up a bit too but cannot be too sure now 'cos I've just got a hole in the exhaust. :(

Not got round to cold air feed yet, been too cold and wet. See what the weather is like over Easter.

I'll get some shots up ASAP.

banner3.jpg

Alright, here are the photos for that pipe thing we need to figure out :)
In the first two photos it is the pipe at the bottom in the centre (of the photo).

IMG_6864.JPG

IMG_6866.JPG

IMG_6868.JPG

Looks like it might be a water trap drain off the original induction chambers.

Can you see where it goes? Can you push some wire through it? I might be tempted to pour some water in and see where it comes out. I don't think there is any engine related bits in that area. It's the wrong side of the bulkhead for a start, the only things down there are your fogs.

banner3.jpg

It goes to a black box at the front (!) - Not much help I know.

I don't have front fog lights so pouring water down there sounds like a good idea. I might try a piece of wire/string first though.

Assuming it is a water drain, can I basically leave my mod as it is now and be safe?

Never seen one before, but, a good guess will be that the black box is empty with a couple of small holes in the bottom. This would be to allow water to drain away without the risk of forcing water into the induction system if you hit standing water.

How to check this. Is anything else connected to the box? Will it come off? If it is not connected to anything else then it is scap and can be thrown away to save weight.

The only other thing I can think of is that it may direct warm air from the radiator into the system. But the pipe seems too small for this to be effective. If this is the case it can still be removed with no harm to the engine.

banner3.jpg

Back