General After A Stilo - Few Questions Please :)

Currently reading:
General After A Stilo - Few Questions Please :)

Would be brill if you could PNL, thanks!

Been upstairs and found some paperwork when she bought the car and sure enough is says new orleans blue ..secondly the wife has just come in and I had a quick peep at the code under the bonnet..and it says Blue magnetico 599a :eek: now the touch up is a perfect match as I have used it on her car so I'm wondering what gives :confused: and are fiat using the same paint and a different name and code for different fiat cars :shrug:

Weeellll - I put the two up there incase this wasn't the place to answer all styling queries. If we could keep them seperate it would be nice - as this topic is now about settling the paint code question, and hopefully some people can give me some info on the 1.8's but I am fairly sure I will get a JTD :)

Guys, have found a 2002 Stilo 1.9 with 47000 on the clock for £3695 - but it's trade not private. I feel that's £500 or so over asking price from ebay/pistonheads etc - what do you all think?

i just recently got a JTD with 55000 on the clock, and that set me back £3700. Its an awesome car mate.

EDIT: got told the cambelt on mine needed changing when i bought mine, its booked in on friday to be changed :D

Last edited:
Trade should give you some warranty.

What's the service history like?
How many owners?
Make sure the cam belt has been changed as it should be after 5 years.

Will be phoning in the morning; but has been advertised as 'passed all MOT and will be MOT on sale.' Not too fussed if the cambelt needs changing, can get parts on trade and might be able to fit myself..will have to have a look under the bonnet.

If the belt was not changed - what other problems may there be? I know at 60,000 miles Leons should have waterpump changed aswell - any other little bits of info like that about for the Stilo?

The main issue with the cam belt is if it hasn't been changed then clearly the service history is defective and so I'd want to know why :(

If it's a trade sale then that fact should be pointed out so the garage clearly understand they're are liable (should give you a warranty anyway of course).

Buying a Stilo is commonsense stuff that applies any car you buy.

Got any more info on it as you'll need to be ready to snap it up?

Trade should give you some warranty.

What's the service history like?
How many owners?
Make sure the cam belt has been changed as it should be after 5 years.

Some history - the Garage didn't want to say it was full and would need to check. The cambelt has been changed, the fella purchased it himself to sell so it wasn't a trade in. Dynamic spec - air con, leccy windows etc but cloth interior..3 owners.

Sound good?

Some history - the Garage didn't want to say it was full and would need to check. The cambelt has been changed, the fella purchased it himself to sell so it wasn't a trade in. Dynamic spec - air con, leccy windows etc but cloth interior..3 owners.

Sound good?

The mileage is pretty low so even with only some history, you'd hope things havn't worn too much yet, but id still be abit worried if when you see the service book, it only has one stamp in it.

You say it's had 3 owners; One thing id try and do is see if the seller will let you see the Log Book (V5C) so you can see when the last person bought the car. If theyve owned it for about 2 years, it could be quite a good car, but if theyve only kept the car for 6 months, chances are it's suffered from its lack of servicing early on in life and is now behaving badly. Thats the way i now think when looking at cars, to try and avoid getting a bad one! (had a bad experience with a clio).

Doesn't sound too good :(

He might have picked it up from an auction and is after a quick buck so I'd be quite suspicious.

You could always ask to see the reg. cert. and do some detective work (contact the last owner) :)

Ok, thanks to the above advise I have run a check on the reg plate. It has had 5 former keepers and was last changed in December 2006. So it's been standing for 2 years perhaps.

I'll call again and ask for the last keepers' details etc.

Edit: The previous owner was female and had the car for two years. He has had it for a month or two. She got the car from a dealership..so I would imagine that the first owner was a dealership, and atleast one more from when the previous owner purchased it..so 3 previous owners.

Mmm, much better. There's a black on on eBay with 4x000 on the clock and they want around £5000 for that..I'm onto a bargain! :)

Edit 2: No warrenty provided as MOT'd before sale.

Last edited:
Ok, thanks to the above advise I have run a check on the reg plate. It has had 5 former keepers and was last changed in December 2006. So it's been standing for 2 years perhaps.

I'll call again and ask for the last keepers' details etc.

Edit: The previous owner was female and had the car for two years. He has had it for a month or two. She got the car from a dealership..so I would imagine that the first owner was a dealership, and atleast one more from when the previous owner purchased it..so 3 previous owners.

Mmm, much better. There's a black on on eBay with 4x000 on the clock and they want around £5000 for that..I'm onto a bargain! :)

Edit 2: No warrenty provided as MOT'd before sale.

So are you saying its had 3 or 5 owners? Id be a bit wary of getting a Stilo (or any used car from a trader tbh) without any warranty at all. Even a month would at least give you a chance to see if it's got a tendancy to light the dashboard up like a Xmas tree every morning.

Last edited:
No warrenty provided as MOT'd before sale.
That was a major bonus being able to contact the previous female owner. No tales of woe then ?

Not an expert on this but was fairly sure a trade car supplier must provide at least a basic period of warranty like 1 mth or 3 mths etc.

Some agreed form of warranty is a must unless buying privately.

It's had 5 previous owners, however the first owner was a garage and then woman who had it last got it from a garage herself, so that would make it 3 real owners out of the 5 listed.

I'll have a look into garages having to sell cars with a warrenty - if not I'd gladly see if he'd knock money off instead however since it would be MOT'd he said warrenty not necessary as parts would have been changed etc if required as normal warrenty is on parts.

It's had 5 previous owners, however the first owner was a garage and then woman who had it last got it from a garage herself, so that would make it 3 real owners out of the 5 listed.

I'll have a look into garages having to sell cars with a warrenty - if not I'd gladly see if he'd knock money off instead however since it would be MOT'd he said warrenty not necessary as parts would have been changed etc if required as normal warrenty is on parts.

When a car gets sold to the motor trade, does it actually register the car in the motor traders name? I thought that they didn't count as a new keeper? :confused:

It would need to be a registered keeper to be able to put tax on the vehicle?

It would need to be a registered keeper to be able to put tax on the vehicle?

When I got my car, the V5C was in the previous owners name and not the traders... and the trader was able to put 6 months tax on the car for me.

When you sell a car to the motor trader, you fill out the yellow section on the V5C document (sale/transfer to the motor trade) instead of the green section (new keeper supplement). What I'm wondering is, does the motor trade count as a new registered keeper? I'd have thought not... but I could be wrong! :D

Back