General Advice needed, various problems!

Currently reading:
General Advice needed, various problems!

tappy

Hi guys (and girls!)

I'm new to the forum and could do with some help! I recently bought a cheap mk2 Punto from an auction and there are a few small problems with it.

The main problem is that the throttle seem to get stuck when the engine has warmed up a little. This means it revs like crazy when changing gears and when I'm stationary. If I turn the engine off and restart the car, the problem will go away for a few minutes. Has anyone else experienced this? I've read on another site that cleaning the throttle body can help. I don't have a clue about mechanics so I'd need to get someone to do it for me. How much is a garage likely to charge to clean it out?

Another little problem is that the engine sometimes makes a whistling noise. It gets louder the faster I'm going. If I take my foot off the accelerator the noise will stop. It doesn't make this noise all the time. Maybe 5% of the time. Any ideas what this might be?

Any help would be much appreciated!

I was charged £55 to get throttle body cleaned out last week, ( not a cheap garage though) can do it yourself easy enough.

As for the whistling, if it's coming from the engine. Take off the air filter, and check the seal on it to the throttle body isn't split or unsecure. Make sure its all fitted back on properly. Including the breather tube that goes into it aswel as that could whistle. Could be that

My car whistles but that's because the seal around my windowscreen is crap! :p Need to get that looked at actually! I can push the window away from the car :p Not good

Thanks for your help! I would do it myself but I don't even know where the throttle body is!

I did look through the guides on here but couldn't find one. Does anyone know if a guide exists?

Don't think so but it's simple, there may be a better way to clean it. But you should no the air filter (big black box in the centre) 2 10mm bolts and a crappy clip holding it in place. Take that off and throttle body is the big hole at the back connected to it. you will have a small pipe into it aswel. But buy some redex. start the engine and the accelrator cable is attached to the throttle body. Open the valve on the throttle body slightly by using the accelrator cable and slowly pour in the redex. Half the bottle will do. Too fast and you'll flood the engine with it and it will stall. So just stop pouring and start the engine again. Giving it some gas as you start it too clear it out again, then carry on pouring. Check the seals while you're at it then make sure the pipe and seal make a good connection when you put it back on. 10min job! You could have done it faster that it took me to type this!

There may be a better way to clean it but that method will work fine.

Don't think so but it's simple, there may be a better way to clean it. But you should no the air filter (big black box in the centre) 2 10mm bolts and a crappy clip holding it in place. Take that off and throttle body is the big hole at the back connected to it. you will have a small pipe into it aswel. But buy some redex. start the engine and the accelrator cable is attached to the throttle body. Open the valve on the throttle body slightly by using the accelrator cable and slowly pour in the redex. Half the bottle will do. Too fast and you'll flood the engine with it and it will stall. So just stop pouring and start the engine again. Giving it some gas as you start it too clear it out again, then carry on pouring. Check the seals while you're at it then make sure the pipe and seal make a good connection when you put it back on. 10min job! You could have done it faster that it took me to type this!

There may be a better way to clean it but that method will work fine.

That sounds easy enough! Thanks!

One quick question: Which redex? I've had a look on the Halfords website and there's quite a few different ones!

Last edited:
Stop.

Whistling and increased revs suggests air leak to me.

Check all the vacuum pipes around the TB. Look very closely for any splits in the pipes or connectors.

With engine running, grab the TB and try and wiggle it in all directions.

Any air leak will be heard and the revs will rise.

Also while at the TB, make sure there is not a rubber nipple on the end of the throttle cable outer that is fouling the operation of the throttle.

Report back.

Cheers

SPD

Yeah that's why i said check the seal between the throttle body and air filter, mine had a split in it creating an air leak. Wasn't sure where else could be common to come from.

Always listen to rallycinq! That's the best advice i could ever give! Just not always explained in the simplest way for a noob to understand! :p

You can use a length of plastic hose as a stethoscope. Put one end up against (but not in!) your ear and move the other end around the area thats making the noise you'll soon find the source.

Spraying superstart around an intale air leak makes the engine revs rise.

Thanks for the help guys!

I'll have a look tomorrow for any leaks. If there is one, is it simple/cheap to fix?

Is it a good idea to pour redex into the intake of an engine fitted with a catalyst???

The sticking throttle, This is a common problem on Nissan Almeras, Never owned one my self but I dont know any one who ever had one that didnt have this problem.
Do Puntos suffer with this too, I hope not.
Anyway its a doddle to get access to the thottle body on a Punto (1.2 8v anyway) Lift off the air cleaner as indicated, you should see a butterfly valve, you will need to clean and examine around the valve,
it may look reasonably clean but there can be a build up of sticky residue around the buterfly, gets stickier when engine hot.
Id soak petrol into a rag and carefully clean around the valve with the engine off. If your dripping petrol down into the throttle then stop and run the engine for 30 seconds or so before continuing, don't need the filter back on for that. You probably cant clean it out perfect without removal so if engine has suffered with this then dont be surprised if problem comes back 6 months later.

Carb cleaner is probably the best stuff to use.

Be careful to not damage the Mass Air FLow metering wire.

Its probably easier to take the throttle body off the car.

Back