General About to collect new 10 Panda

Currently reading:
General About to collect new 10 Panda

Oga

Hi guys

Read a lot of advice here before buying - many thanks to you all.

I'm about to pick up my new Active Eco 1.1 - any advice on what to check for in the handover please?

Many thanks

Oga

If my experience is anything to go by check these things.

Make sure your white Panda with roof rails isn't a metallic blue panda with no roof rails.

Then make sure you aren't charged £425.00 for the privilege of being sold the wrong colour car.

At least they got the power outlet bit right, but that was probably a mistake.

Then when they send you an offer of fixed price servicing, which would add up to the approximate cost of servicing a 40 tonne truck over 1,000000 miles make sure you don't write Bo!!*$$! in big letters all over it and mail it back.

Then make sure you don't park it in a car park where the door gets dinged after 1 week and after 3 months a Merc Sprinter rolls down the hill and squashes it into a bollard.

Other than that no complaints about the car.

take your time inspecting the car, before you sign the handover and it becomes your car. take a friend/family member along as well to have a look, they should have far more objective eyes than you.

this doesn't bother some, but it does quite a few, check to see how the rear number plate is fixed. is it using the supplied kit, four screws into the proper plastic lugs? or double sided tape? no worries, or is it two screws through the paint and metalwork?:bang:

and good luck(y)

• Thanks
Reactions: Oga
I had a look at the boot lid on a new car that had just arrived to a dealer.

You're right, there are 4 holes for a fixing kit but i noticed that there was two small circles pre scored for what i can only guess is screws.

Do you really think it would be a problem if they attached the plate in this fashion. I suppose you could just remove the plate and grease up the hole. :)

Do you really think it would be a problem if they attached the plate in this fashion. I suppose you could just remove the plate and grease up the hole. :)

maybe not, modern production methods, galanvised steel etc. but consider this, you lash out for a new car, do you really want the metal work screwed into, in such a fashion? just because it's at the less expensive end of the car buying scale, doesn't mean you have to have it like that. if metal is metal, and paint is paint, bentley would be dong the same, somehow though i think not.

after all if the fixing kit is there, in the glovebox, why not take the extra 10 seconds and do it how the factory shows you?

check to see how the rear number plate is fixed. is it using the supplied kit, four screws into the proper plastic lugs? or double sided tape? no worries, or is it two screws through the paint and metalwork?:bang:

This is exactly what I found on mine (n)

Any advice on what to do with the holes ?? (cue filthy remarks !!)

If everything turns out to be OK, start enjoying your new car !! (y)

Hi guys

Read a lot of advice here before buying - many thanks to you all.

I'm about to pick up my new Active Eco 1.1 - any advice on what to check for in the handover please?

Many thanks

Oga
Before signing any paperwork - which usually states you've accepted the vehicle as being in good condition - take a good look at the bodywork, checking for scratches, dents or imperfections. Sit inside and try everything, yes, everything. Make sure the washers wash, the wipers wipe and that the radio doesn't just power up, but will also tune in and play a disk. Test the horn, check the lights and, if they'll let you, take a short drive and be happy about handling, steering etc. Some of these we didn't do and regretted afterwards - such as finding a non functioning radio on the way home and having a wiper blade fall off first time it rained! People have reported very noisy heater fans, doors which won't lock, and really weird noises from the floor pans. If the tyres are wrongly inflated you'll likely feel it pulling to one side or the other. All a bit of a PIA, but worth if once it's done. Good luck, enjoy.

• Thanks
maybe not, modern production methods, galanvised steel etc. but consider this, you lash out for a new car, do you really want the metal work screwed into, in such a fashion? just because it's at the less expensive end of the car buying scale, doesn't mean you have to have it like that. if metal is metal, and paint is paint, bentley would be dong the same, somehow though i think not.

after all if the fixing kit is there, in the glovebox, why not take the extra 10 seconds and do it how the factory shows you?

I guess you're right. :)

It's probably not worth complaining too much if they have already done it this way.

Might be worth mentioning if the car has not already been PDI'd. :)

Took me ages to work out what a "10 Panda" was. I've realised now. I must be thick or something.
The bodywork is the number one item to check as it's the most difficult part of the car to restore to as new condition if damaged. It may seem impractical but I would even extend the bodywork check to the underside of the car as careless handling in the factory and in transit can damage this unseen area.

• Thanks
Sit inside and try everything, yes, everything. Make sure the washers wash, the wipers wipe and that the radio doesn't just power up, but will also tune in and play a disk. Test the horn, check the lights and, if they'll let you, take a short drive and be happy about handling, steering etc. .

I have to say I disagree. That's a waste of time. Check the paintwork etc but don't waste your time checking that the radio works because you've got a warranty to sort that out.

I have to say I disagree. That's a waste of time. Check the paintwork etc but don't waste your time checking that the radio works because you've got a warranty to sort that out.

I agree. You can live without a radio for a few days/weeks and if it's faulty then they need to replace it anyway. I think the bodywork/trim is the main thing because it is usually very hard/expensive to repair well. Also do a basic safety check too such as tyres and fluid levels. My tyres were really flat when I got mine which isn't very safe.

Thanks everyone. I collected her earlier - everything great so far!

There are 4 screws attaching the number plate - guess they are self-tapping screws straight into the metal.

There was a price reduction - I ordered the smoking kit for £40 or so, but it now comes with 12v outlet as standard. I didn't get the cig lighter or ash tray that sits in the cup holder (which would have come with the smoking kit) but I don't need them anyway.

V happy so far.

The garage we bought from was a long drive away for us. The main dealers were an even longer drive. The radio fault took over three weeks to get sorted. Horses for courses, but it could have been seen to on the day of collection thus saving me nearly three hours driving and a four hour wait on the day at a location miles from any shops or cafes. Oh, and a badly refitted roof lining begrimed with dirty finger marks too on collection. Obviously your mileage varies, the OP asked for advice, I gave mine :shrug:

if they are out in the corners, then they are using the lugs

Thanks for the pointer - they are towards the corners, but bottom right one is not in a symmetrical position (it's about an inch to the left of matching the others).

I haven't loosened the screws to take a definitive look, but they seem to be screwed into something plastic, hopefully the lugs you describe!

The number plate thing is a must. Thanks to this site I read up on what the dealers were doing so I made sure I informed the dealer that I wanted the plate fixing properly. Despite this they were that lazy they only screwed it on using the top 2 screws. So I took it back down and had it sorted properly. Whats annoying is that according to the salesman they have templates to make it really easy. So god knows why they didnt do it right the first time.

I also found the plastic mat screws still attached to the bottom of the drivers mat. So in short check everything that the dealer should have done because chance is they havent done some of it. They managed to plaster my car in dealer stickers though which were the first thing to be removed.

The car is absolutely fantastic though, its just a pity about the lazy dealers.

Thanks for the pointer - they are towards the corners, but bottom right one is not in a symmetrical position (it's about an inch to the left of matching the others).

I haven't loosened the screws to take a definitive look, but they seem to be screwed into something plastic, hopefully the lugs you describe!
If that be the case then they've done it right :) The lugs are not in a symmetrical positition :)

This doesn't illustrate it that well but you should be able to make out that the screws on the right hand side aren't exactly alligned, which is the way it should be :)

DSC_5724.JPG

• Thanks
If that be the case then they've done it right :) The lugs are not in a symmetrical positition :)

This doesn't illustrate it that well but you should be able to make out that the screws on the right hand side aren't exactly alligned, which is the way it should be :)

DSC_5724.JPG

Yep! It looks just like that. Kinda shoddy-looking, had they been trying to be accurate! They must be avoiding a wiring loom or something. Thanks for the info.

Yep! It looks just like that. Kinda shoddy-looking, had they been trying to be accurate! They must be avoiding a wiring loom or something. Thanks for the info.
Always happy to help. It is a bit strange but as long as the plate stays on I'm not bothered :)

Back