General Abbreviations and expressions used on the 500 section

Currently reading:
General Abbreviations and expressions used on the 500 section

This 500 section is always full of abbreviations ;)
Today's challenge for me is "CAI". Previous day's challenges (all resolved now) have included BNW, TA, A500 (Amiga 500... err, no), USP, and OH.

First of all I would like to welcome alexGS to the 500 section.
Likewise I also struggled on some of the abbreviations & terms used particularly since the FF was the first forum that I ever joined.
Below is an attempt at compiling of list of them to make life easier for newbies when they come aboard.
If there are any errors or omissions please feel free to correct...

LOL laugh a lot but not rolling around the floor
lol a little laugh
OP Original Poster – used where referring back to the person with the original query – I thought it was the Opening Post as in the first post
OH Other Half – could be your partner or the missus /hubbie
gf Girlfriend
WTF What the F**k
CAI Cold Air Induction kit
TA Twin Air engine or sometimes can refer to the model Twin Air
TA+ TwinAir model with the higher spec
TwinAir Model with the TA engine and TA spec
TwinAir+ same as the TA+
Lounge TA Lounge model with the Twin Air engine
POP Basic 500 model without Aircon & without Blue&Me unless specified as an extra
Climate Climate Control – extra on top of the Air Conditioning
B&Me Blue & Me the handsfree and the music input (USB + AUX on 2010+) with a multi-functional leather steering wheel
Glass roof ‘Panaromic’ glass roof on the 500 Lounge model or as an extra
Sunroof ‘Panoramic’ opening glass roof on the 500 – optional extra
A500 Abarth 500
A500c Abarth 500 in ‘convertible’ form – it’s just a big pull back fabric ‘sunroof’
APE Abarth Punto Evo (newer AGP)
AGP Abarth Grand Punto
F500 Fiat 500 primarily used on the Abarth forums
The other Abarth forum Abarthisti forum
T-jet refers to the petrol 1368cc with a turbo used on the Bravo (120bhp, 150bhp), Grand Punto (155bhp), Alfa Romeo MiTo (120bhp,153bhp), Abarth Grand Punto Esseesse (180bhp)
Esseesse sometimes abbreviated to SS. Higher state of tune of the Abarth models
IHI make of turbo on the TA, MJ and the T-jet
Garrett make of turbo on the T-jet GPA SS (180bhp) & APE (155bhp, 180bhp) & US A500 (160bhp)
MJ Multi-jet (Diesel engine)
1.3 refers to the Diesel engine size as distinct from the 1.2 & 1.4 Petrol engines
MA generally referred to as the Multi-air in the 1.4L
Multi-air ‘New’ technology used on the Twin Air and the head of the 1.4L
NA Naturally Aspirated (on the other forums used in reference to North America)
US United States but should really be North American in relation to the 500
5W40 Viscosity of the synthetic oil used currently onthe petrol engines
Selenia Fiat oil – hard if impossible to get in the shops - preferred choice on servicing but generally you pay extra
Blackjack Limited edition 500 with Matt(e) Black paint
FW Funk White or Pearlescent White
Pearlescent paint Used on the White & on the discontinued Ragamuffin
BNW Bossa Nova White – ‘free’ colour on the 500
BMW A Beamer – different car manufacture – not to be confused with BNW (the colour)
Multispokes refers to the 16 inch alloys that some upgrade to. Qualified with 15 inch if it’s the standard wheel on the Lounge model
Contis Continental tyres, common OEM Fiat fit along with Bridgestone.
Steelies standard POP wheel. Sometimes referred to when using winter tyres on the a set of standard 14 inch steel wheels
IIRC If I recall correctly (saying something that you might be wrong about)
AFAIK As Far as I know
USP Unique Selling point
A-bar Retro A-bar (bit like a nudge bar but doesn’t protrude) on the front of the 500 - bought as an accessory
Chequered seats. Standard seats in the Lounge model.
ARB Anti Roll Bar Referred to by journalists in describing the new 2010 set-up on the 500 but in reality it’s just a twist beam with an additional small bar.
FF Fiat Forum
E-***** to do with your rating on the FF – only seen it once - not talked about much
RTFM read the f**king manual
NOB New Orleans Blue colour
CCCAB Cha Cha Cha Azure Blue colour
FRA Forum Rule breech

Last edited:
Thanks for the corrections & additions, updated list...

lol a little laugh
ROFL Rolling on the floor, laughing
ROFL,PMP Rolling on the floor laughing, peeing my pants
:ROFLMAO: discretion advised on the use of this - can upset some.:eek:
OP Original Poster – used where referring back to the person with the original query – I thought it was the Opening Post as in the first post
gf Girlfriend
WTF What the F**k
TwinAir+ same as the TA+
POP Basic 500 model without Aircon & without Blue&Me unless specified as an extra
B&Me Blue & Me the handsfree and the music input (USB + AUX on 2010+) with a multi-functional leather steering wheel
A500 Abarth 500
A500c Abarth 500 in ‘convertible’ form – it’s just a big pull back fabric ‘sunroof’
AGP Abarth Grand Punto
T-jet refers to the petrol 1368cc with a turbo used on the Bravo (120bhp, 150bhp), Grand Punto (155bhp), Alfa Romeo MiTo (120bhp,153bhp), Abarth Grand Punto Esseesse (180bhp)
Garrett make of turbo on the T-jet GPA SS (180bhp) & APE (155bhp, 180bhp) & US A500 (160bhp)
1.3 refers to the Diesel engine size as distinct from the 1.2 & 1.4 Petrol engines
Selenia Fiat oil – hard if impossible to get in the shops - preferred choice on servicing but generally you pay extra
BMW A Beamer – different car manufacture – not to be confused with BNW (the colour)
Multispokes refers to the 16 inch alloys that some upgrade to. Qualified with 15 inch if it’s the standard wheel on the Lounge model
Steelies standard POP wheel. Sometimes referred to when using winter tyres on the a set of standard 14 inch steel wheels
AFAIK As Far as I know
USP Unique Selling point
A-bar Retro A-bar (bit like a nudge bar but doesn’t protrude) on the front of the 500 - bought as an accessory
ARB Anti Roll Bar Referred to by journalists in describing the new 2010 set-up on the 500 but in reality it’s just a twist beam with an additional small bar. URL courtesy of Maxi. https://www.fiatforum.com/500/289929-another-interim-option-3.html?p=2931583
FF Fiat Forum
E-***** to do with your rating on the FF – only seen it once - not talked about much
FRA Forum Rule Applied (this is not advised) :nono:
RTFM this isn't in the 'dictionary' :)

Last edited:
This is actually VERY useful, thank you kindly, and thanks for the welcome :)

Several on that list I had seen but didn't know - A-bar, for example. The white 500 I was going to buy had one, and I would have asked if it could be taken off, but I honestly had no idea what it was called, or what an A-bar was. Likewise APE or AGP would have been meaningless as I wasn't aware those cars existed (neither is sold in NZ).

I'd love to see this thread cleaned and put in alphabetical order, and made into a Sticky, and I'll ask the moderator to consider doing this :)

The only thing puzzling me now are what "5o spoke wheels" are!
My wheels will have spokes and 500 in the centre, I don't think they're the same thing.

I'll post on this thread when I find any other mysterious abbreviations (y)

As for Maxi and Robin, they're just as bad as each other :rolleyes:

-Alex

Last edited:
The only thing puzzling me now are what "5o spoke wheels" are!
My wheels will have spokes and 500 in the centre, I don't think they're the same thing.

The 5o-spoke wheels are used on the Ferrari courtesy 500 model and IMHO best suit the non 1.4 with all round discs. They are a little rarer than the multispoke in the 16 inch.

Attachments

• 5o-spoke.jpg
    5o-spoke.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 21
  • Multispokes power coated.JPG
    Multispokes power coated.JPG
    289.5 KB · Views: 52
The 5o-spoke wheels are used on the Ferrari courtesy 500 model and IMHO best suit the non 1.4 with all round discs. They are a little rarer than the multispoke in the 16 inch.

Ah thanks! Those are the "Hot" and "Funky" styles, respectively, on dealer material I'd seen.

The 1.4 has all-round discs (they don't work so well when they're square - lol), I was under the impression the 1.2 models have drum brakes at the back.

-Alex

Last edited:
am I right in thinking that GAP insurance is additional (separate from) regular comprehensive vehicle insurance?

Absolutely correct.

GAP is entirely voluntary and basically means paying a premium (usually up front) in return for getting some extra ££££ if you are unfortunate enough to have the car written off.

How much money, what you can do with it, and the period for which you are covered, is all in the detail. Also the exclusions on a GAP policy may not necessarily be the same as the exclusions on your normal comprehensive cover. I suggest you read all the small print carefully before you sign anything.

Last edited:
Absolutely correct.

GAP is entirely voluntary and basically means paying a premium (usually up front) in return for getting some extra ££££ if you are unfortunate enough to have the car written off.

How much money, what you can do with it, and the period for which you are covered, is all in the detail. Also the exclusions on a GAP policy may not necessarily be the same as the exclusions on your normal comprehensive cover. I suggest you read all the small print carefully before you sign anything.

Thank you for the clear explanation - that makes me wonder if the name is a convenient acronym that also refers to the 'gap' between insured value and replacement value.

There probably exists something similar in NZ, but with my insurance company I was simply given the choice between 'agreed value' or 'market value'. As I'm buying a nearly-new car, I went with 'agreed value', otherwise the car would be insured for more than it is actually worth, though the difference wasn't huge in this case - $22,500 vs. $24,000.

On the other hand, for my Alfa 156, the agreed value is a generous $10,000 - the market value (according to insurers) is a ridiculous $17,500, the actual market value is likely to be $6,000 - and last week a dealer offered $1,000 as a trade-in (part-exchange or p/ex I think you say). One thousand! Given that they probably had some profit in the car I was going to buy, I was shocked by the reality of used car dealing.

-Alex

Last edited:
for when this simply isn't enough, I will sometimes use

ROFL - Rolling on the floor, laughing
ROFL,PMP - Rolling on the floor laughing, peeing my pants

As a pensioner, I don't laugh too much as the inevitable PMP happens!!! Am waiting for the launch of TennaMan.

The 1.4 has all-round discs... I was under the impression the 1.2 models have drum brakes at the back.
:yeahthat:
Thanks for correcting me on that. I made an 'editing' mistake.

I'd love to see this thread cleaned and put in alphabetical order, and made into a Sticky, and I'll ask the moderator to consider doing this :)

That would be great if you can organise that. (y)

Excel should help!

A500 Abarth 500
AFAIK As Far as I know
AGP Abarth Grand Punto
ARB Anti Roll Bar Referred to by journalists in describing the new 2010 set-up on the 500 but in reality it’s just a twist beam with an additional small bar. URL courtesy of Maxi. https://www.fiatforum.com/500/289929-...ml#post2931583
discretion advised on the use of this - can upset some.
FF Fiat Forum
FRA Forum Rule Applied (this is not advised)
gf Girlfriend

jrkitching thanked for this post
lol a little laugh
ROFL Rolling on the floor, laughing
ROFL,PMP Rolling on the floor laughing, peeing my pants
RTFM this isn't in the 'dictionary'
TwinAir+ same as the TA+
USP Unique Selling point
WTF What the F**k

Last edited:
I wonder if it'd be worth having a section of the forum, or maybe some kind of pop up page folk can get to with acronyms both common (like LOLz WTFs), FIAT Specific (Like AGP, APE, B&M), and model specific (like for 500's TA+, Blackjack)

Back