Currently reading:
Technical Abarth - Performance Tuning

Re: abarth upgrade to gain 30bhp+?

i cant do that as my car needed to be mapped 1st:bang:

must be plenty on here that can though, i still dont understand how with just a map it went from 160 to 171, and then the kit was put on, put back on the rollers and it had 199.7.

if it wasnt the induction kit, what the hell was it:confused:

I didnt realise your car was that sick mark 160 bhp when the abarth should be 170/5 standard..:eek: I've seen some strange readings on some of the r/r days in different parts of the country for instance fiat tech's 2.4 had a CDA and map and his read out at 159bhp..I know dyno's can be tampered with cos at one r/r day I asked the operator to give the owner a low reading to wind him up and the operator came back with "what you got in mind Phill I can give him a read of out what ever I want"..I think you were at that one..;)

http://www.turbomagazine.com/tech/0402tur_dyno_tricks_problems/index.html

Last edited:

Look, I'm not saying this just to **** you off, or to wind you up. I'm simply saying, I know, for a fact, that you will not gain 30bhp from an air filter.

Simple as that.

I've worked on cars & bikes, built and tuned engines for the past 15 years. I done alot of work on my old twin turbo Supra with regards to airflow into the engine. And even with it fitted with a pair of rather large hybrid turbo's (RS500 spec), the stock box and filter were still easily capable of flowing enough air to the engine. I experimented with a few different setups and none gave any improvements over standard, all work was done on a dyno.

Car manufactures spend millions on engine development. Do you really think they would chuck an airbox and filter on that was running at its full potential with regards to the engine?

The ONLY time I would ever think of replacing the airbox or filter is if I was going racing. You just have to look under the bonnet of a BTCC car and see they all use an enclosed airbox, as do pretty much all race cars. Simply because you get better power.

Cold, still, dence air. That it what you want to aim for. A cone filter sitting on the end of a bit of silicone pipe is not going to give you this, and therefore give you no power advantage.

(y)

I had a GSR (no remap) on my 1.6 Stilo. Got 12bhp and 10ft lb of torque. figures dont lie (y)

Its not just sticking a filter on, its about moving the filter to the coldest air available. the 1.6 GSR kit sits right beneath the battery box, whereas the standard kit is above the front grille.

I had a GSR (no remap) on my 1.6 Stilo. Got 12bhp and 10ft lb of torque. figures dont lie (y)

Its not just sticking a filter on, its about moving the filter to the coldest air available. the 1.6 GSR kit sits right beneath the battery box, whereas the standard kit is above the front grille.

Also like the standard box then ..that also sits beneath the battery box..;)

Glad this interesting thread didn't end up as a childish bickering contest...

:whogives:

Oh hush and back to polishing your driveway ornament :D

I think Greggers was just saying it's good to keep disagreements civil rather then degrading to name calling :shakehead:

Anyone got a dyno graph to post up as that should put an end to it (to be fair though it must be purely induction change i.e NOT combined with extra map)

As ever Argo, the voice of reason (y)

Look, I'm not saying this just to **** you off, or to wind you up. I'm simply saying, I know, for a fact, that you will not gain 30bhp from an air filter.

Barry I'll make you an offer to come and drive the car before and after fitting the induction kit and then you can see if your 'theory' holds up?

Last edited:

I would just like to make a post about the engine used in the abarth as you all know its a 5 cylinder 2.4.. but how many of you know it was destined for a lancia and not the fiat..the lancia project was dropped and fiat just happened to have the engine hanging around..unfortunately fiat didn't do any serious development on the engine and there is a bad design flaw with regards to the amount of power you can put through the unit without it letting go of the bottom end ..some members have already experienced this here and the problem lies in the amount of end float that exists between the con rods and the crank and conrods to pistons..the engine might go on for many miles if you service regularly and give it the occasional blast but it doesn't take kindly to modification without some bottom end strengthening and the con rods and pistons should be the first port of call before you do any form of serious tuning..upping the bhp on this engine will in the long turn have detrimental effect with either a piston exiting the block or the big end bearings collapsing..

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED..

Not disputing your figures Adam but I think you'll find the standard induction will provide the coldest air.

If you have an undertray fitted (essential with GSR kit I'd have thought) then a portion of the air you're picking up will already have gone through the radiator so it's hardly likely to be colder than air outside the car :confused:

Oh hush and back to polishing your driveway ornament :D

Lol... ooh... ouch! Stop hitting me with your handbag! :D

No, honestly, that hurt, it really did... I'm going to have to go polish my car until the pain goes away. That should give you some time to go and polish your helmet again and contemplate how mean you were :D

Love ya really Dogs... you've got a 2.4, so how could I not? (y)

PNL, good post matey. That's really interesting and something to think about. So would replacing the con-rod big-end shims help or would the con-rods and crank need to be replaced to get rid of the float?

Not disputing your figures Adam but I think you'll find the standard induction will provide the coldest air.

If you have an undertray fitted (essential with GSR kit I'd have thought) then a portion of the air you're picking up will already have gone through the radiator so it's hardly likely to be colder than air outside the car :confused:

Fair enough, I agree its not going to be colder than the air outside the car, but the tubing removed all the restiction. Therefore a benefit :confused: I wouldnt bother with the GPS though, as PNL said cars with forced induction are different to N/A. It all depends on how much you want an extra 6/7 bhp really (y)

Lol... ooh... ouch! Stop hitting me with your handbag! :D

No, honestly, that hurt, it really did... I'm going to have to go polish my car until the pain goes away. That should give you some time to go and polish your helmet again and contemplate how mean you were :D

Love ya really Dogs... you've got a 2.4, so how could I not? (y)

PNL, good post matey. That's really interesting and something to think about. So would replacing the con-rod big-end shims help or would the con-rods and crank need to be replaced to get rid of the float?

Dont know if you ever followed this thread..

https://www.fiatforum.com/stilo/118305-fiat-stilo-abarth-2-4l-20v-turbo-conversion.html

Although Daz in the end conceded with the conversion he did keep the strengthened con rods and forged piston ..the only way forward if you want to get extra power and reliability through the 2.4 unit..the use of induction kits whoever they are from give minimal power to the engine and they are only of benefit if its coupled with a decent professionally built exhaust system which will cost you in excess of a £1000 and more in the region of £1555 [what goes in has to come out in the nicest possible way]..the head in standard trim is one of the best in the range and probably has been looked at by fiat already..it flows quite well in standard form ..the 5 branch exhaust manifold..not bad also but of course could benefit from a proper 4/2/1 system for optimal performance with a sports cat..problem is the manifold and exhaust is going to be a custom item because one doesn't exist for the 2.4 as with the other engine sizes..:( over all its going to be very expensive to go the route of tuning on the 2.4 to get maximum benefit and this is why fiat went down the road of and used the 1.8 for its works rally car..

Last edited:
Stilo Abarth performance tuning

Hi guys, as You can see, I am pretty new to this thread... Recently I bought an Abarth, and after driving it 700 miles to home, I did not want to get out of it :)... Anyway, seeing this engine I can not shake off the feeling that it underperforms in a way, as 170bhp for a 2.4 engine is not an achievement, especially for an Abarth... Now, I don't want to make any big changes, just was wondering on some thoughts on engine remap and a new induction kit... I was looking all over the forum, seen lots of threads with these issues, and would like to hear your oppinion... I am from continental Europe, so I found this company that does engine remap : Digital Tuning
And I would like to install a BMC CDA induction kit, I saw the tutorial here... I am pretty new to this, but not to Fiats, my previous car was a 1.8 Fiat brava, really liked that one...Has anyone done this setup, and how much bhp have You gained? I can get these done for a total of about 320euros. And which order is better - remap first, and induction kit later, or the other way around? Anyway, sorry for the long post, just wanted to say many things :D

Cheers

Re: Stilo Abarth performance tuning

Hi guys, as You can see, I am pretty new to this thread... Recently I bought an Abarth, and after driving it 700 miles to home, I did not want to get out of it :)... Anyway, seeing this engine I can not shake off the feeling that it underperforms in a way, as 170bhp for a 2.4 engine is not an achievement, especially for an Abarth... Now, I don't want to make any big changes, just was wondering on some thoughts on engine remap and a new induction kit... I was looking all over the forum, seen lots of threads with these issues, and would like to hear your oppinion... I am from continental Europe, so I found this company that does engine remap : Digital Tuning
And I would like to install a BMC CDA induction kit, I saw the tutorial here... I am pretty new to this, but not to Fiats, my previous car was a 1.8 Fiat brava, really liked that one...Has anyone done this setup, and how much bhp have You gained? I can get these done for a total of about 320euros. And which order is better - remap first, and induction kit later, or the other way around? Anyway, sorry for the long post, just wanted to say many things :D

Cheers

do all the other mods 1st

exhaust, induction etc, as if you do the re-map 1st, you'll have to do it again after each mod to get the best from them.

lowered on eibachs, with struts, job done (y)

You should also be aware that the 5 pot isn't one of the strongest so if your going to take the engine to new high levals of power then get the bottom end /con rods /and pistons sorted before doing so..:)

I think the 2.4 engine is probably limited to around 230bhp-ish before it starts to go bang without major engine work, there are a few other 2.4 engine from other makes out there (volvo for example) that are around 170bhp so it's not too bad, the 5 pot does sound good though.

Yeah, I know, and I would go only as far as 200bhp MAX, I really don't need more, but then again, people said other parts of the engine should be strengthened... I will have some more consultations with some really experience tuners, but I would like to be as informed as I can when I get to that point...Thanx again :D

Yeah, and they were not durable at all, anyone remember the golf III VR6, i drove one for 4 months, literally went to the mechanics every 2 weeks...Hopefully the Abarth won't be the same :D

Hi guys, im new to this site i just have a couple of questions and was hoping some people may be able to answer them for me. Im thinking of buying a fiat stilo abarth 2.4L, really like this car but a little dissapointed (only a little bit) with the power and 0-60mph. I would like to tune it to around the 200bhp mark, is this possible and how would i go about it?

Hope some people can help, thanks.............

Induction kit, de-catted exhaust (passive cat at least) and re-map seem to be what most have done. Though you will get doom mongers who predict this engine will suffer an early death if you modify it...

Hi again guys, as i said before im looking to buy a stilo abarth so i have been doing some research, i've read a lot of owners reviews and quite a few all had the same problem, the selespeed has malfunctioned and it has been quite costly to rectify. Just wondering if anybody has had this problem or what there thoughts are on it?

Cheers guys......................

Back