Technical A sad start to my new Panda

Currently reading:
Technical A sad start to my new Panda

bendheim

So I was super excited today getting a lift to a Fiat dealership in Spain 215km north of me to collect my brand new Panda City Life Hybrid.

The car was a new and shiny and well presented.

About halfway back now driving the new car, I realised that the hybrid was not working. I had hired a new Cross and when the hybrid works the white indicator shows on the display.

Here, lifting my foot off the pedal, nothing happens. And the power flow chart shows it’s using petrol only.

By now it’s too late to drive all the way back, so I stop at the dealer closest to me (about 40km) with my new car with only 150 Km now on the clock and in broken English/Spanish try to be explain the issue to someone who only speaks Spanish. They are not terribly interested and make an appointment for them to see them in two weeks time. The selling dealer is not that interested either, now they have the cash and tells me he will get back to me tomorrow if I must take it into a nearby dealer for assistance.

The reason I bought it from a faraway dealer is than no one has stock for the next two months locally and car hire is expensive.

So the question?
Could it just be some minor thing that the dealer didn’t connect at the pre-delivery service?
Is there anything I can do or check myself?
Can I just carry on driving without the hybrid until the first available local appointment in two weeks?
Do the cars get factory shipped with the hybrid battery connected or is something the dealer does?

It’s so frustrating and disappointing that after spending €14500 in cash in Dpain for a new car, it doesn’t work. Amazing that dealerships let a car go out without a full PDI.

Any help, advice, quick fix, ideas, would be HUGELY appreciated!!!

Today is not the happy day I was expecting!!

Oh, and the stop start is not working either but I guess that’s because the hybrid isn’t… I’m not very technical 😢

Attachments

• 426af9b3-abc2-4551-82fa-d88cd10bb267.jpeg
    426af9b3-abc2-4551-82fa-d88cd10bb267.jpeg
    330.1 KB · Views: 185
  • 1540c8b1-aa3a-48a1-a327-c4c51940e692.jpeg
    1540c8b1-aa3a-48a1-a327-c4c51940e692.jpeg
    311.7 KB · Views: 75
I don't know much about the hybrid, but on mine the start/stop doesn't work if the battery charge is low; maybe it's similar? Perhaps it's been sitting around for a while and the battery has drained below the point where the start/stop (and hybrid battery) can run. So driving it regularly for a while, to charge the battery, may fix the problem.

I don't know much about the hybrid, but on mine the start/stop doesn't work if the battery charge is low; maybe it's similar? Perhaps it's been sitting around for a while and the battery has drained below the point where the start/stop (and hybrid battery) can run. So driving it regularly for a while, to charge the battery, may fix the problem.
I’m hoping so. I see the car was manufactured in October 2022 and the dealer had about 10 units in stock which he had registered as what they call zero km cars in Spain - meaning they have been registered by the dealer but never ever driven (mine had 6 km on the clock)
So let’s hope this is the case.
However I would have expected to see the hybrid battery at least charging on the graphic that I posted while driving. I did over 200km from the dealership today and there was no evidence of the hybrid battery charging at all.
Well, let’s drive it for a few days and see what happens….
I sooooo hope you are right.

Have you by any change disabled the stop/start function (is that possible on the hybrid?). What's the last button to the right of the hazard warning light switch? Does is have an 'S' in arrows on it? Is it showing an orange light?
Thanks for assisting. No, it is not disabled, the LED is off. I’ve tried switching it on and off a few times just in case, and nothing changes. 😢

If you've not already seen, take a look at this similar thread - seems it waits till the car's main battery is fully charged first: https://www.fiatforum.com/threads/hybrid-start-stop.498172/post-4667766
Thanks. I’ll give it a few days and see if it magically works.
I’d have thought that a 200km run from the dealer on a motorway would have fully charged the “normal” battery thus allowing the hybrid battery to charge.
Let’s see what happens. Hoping for magic.

I’m hoping so. I see the car was manufactured in October 2022 and the dealer had about 10 units in stock which he had registered as what they call zero km cars in Spain - meaning they have been registered by the dealer but never ever driven (mine had 6 km on the clock)

I wonder … I have heard of cars suffering electrical/electronic problems if not jump-started correctly after their batteries have discharged completely. The jumper packs you can buy have lots of warnings about this. If your car has sat around with a discharged battery for six months and then been brought back to life carelessly, that might be an explanation? Or perhaps it’s just something as simple as a defective battery not retaining enough charge—that would explain why both the hybrid and SS systems aren’t working.

I wonder … I have heard of cars suffering electrical/electronic problems if not jump-started correctly after their batteries have discharged completely. The jumper packs you can buy have lots of warnings about this. If your car has sat around with a discharged battery for six months and then been brought back to life carelessly, that might be an explanation? Or perhaps it’s just something as simple as a defective battery not retaining enough charge—that would explain why both the hybrid and SS systems aren’t working.
The stop/start (on the mild hybrid versions) uses just the hybrid battery, so won't kick into life until that battery has a full charge. The issue with jump starting is that you mustn't connect direct to the battery negative terminal as that bypasses the battery condition monitor. if you do it correctly by connecting to a metal earth point on the car rather than at the battery(as you should with any car), that avoids the issue. (I note on my other car -- a Skoda - there is a dedicated 'jump start earth post' on the suspension turret under the bonnet for exactly this reason)

I suspect that might well be the case. The sales person whom I’ve been dealing with long distance said they tried another new car today and it was the same.
I’m not sure that storing these vehicles unsold for long periods is a great idea. I will just have to wait it out until my appointment on 26 April and hopefully it’s easily resolved.
This is my first car bought in the EU and I’m quite surprised at how long one has to wait to get something attended to. It’s a very different experience to other places I’ve lived.
Your input is much appreciated.

UPDATE -
Just as some of you said, the Hybrid function worked completely from this morning- including the stop start.
Odd because I didn’t use the car the last two days…
But so happy it’s working.

I guess that’s the thing about Italian cars. Unpredictable and has it own mind.

But a joy to drive.

Thanks for all the advice received here!!

Back