Off Topic A funny thing happened on the way to the (Fiat) forum...

Currently reading:
Off Topic A funny thing happened on the way to the (Fiat) forum...

So there I was, walking the dog last night, when along London Road, St Albans wafts a matte black Rolls Royce Phantom which stops at the Mile House junction. With its illegal number plates (wrongly spaced with italic script), it was huge and, frankly, abhorrent. I have never been a fan of the Phantom, which to my eye has the wrong proportions. Highly polished and chauffeur-driven it does make quite a statement though. Unfortunately, the only statement this one was making, driven by a very fat man with a big beard, was "I have absolutely no taste but considerably more money than you."

Nevertheless, a Rolls Royce is a Rolls Royce, of which you don't see many in oh-so-modest St Albans, so the dog and I stopped and had a good look and a bit of a sniff (the sniffing was just the dog you understand).

Anyway, when the lights changed it drove off I turned to walk down Mile House Lane, only to see, sitting at the front of the queue, the first matte black Fiat 500 I have ever seen. I wasn't much more keen on that either.

Anyway, none of this matters, but it is "one of those things" - one of life's many funny little co-incidences, but with a (matte black) 500 theme. So I thought I'd share it with you lot, and of course give you the opportunity to chip in with your own 500 co-incidences and the like.

Happy days.

Anyway, none of this matters, but it is "one of those things" - one of life's many funny little co-incidences, but with a (matte black) 500 theme. So I thought I'd share it with you lot, and of course give you the opportunity to chip in with your own 500 co-incidences and the like.

Happy days.

Quite like the matt 500 and the RR I'm not too sure about.

Out driving in my local area one day and I spotted a FW 500c not too far in front of me. I was in the FW 1.4 so picked up a bit of speed. Red roof was back and saw what looked like a brunette driving the car from behind. Car was 'moving a bit' and hard to 'put the pedal to the metal' to catch up with it. Drew more or less level with at the traffic lights and noticed at the last second it was a bloke driving it. So to save grace swung left from the bus lane and went a slightly longer way home. Thought it might be a bit naff 2 blokes both in a FW one a c giving each other the :wave: Noticed recently his OH driving the 500c so it was the 'hubbie' going off for a burn in it.

Last edited:
Michael - you would have been in even more trouble if you had asked him if was a Fiat Forum member and did he know that your name is "Loves Handbags"....

I hadn't realised there was a matt black 500 option. There's someone on the same business park that I work on that has one, and I've often wondered if that was wrapped or it came like that.

The day before I bought my 500, I spotted my first-ever 500 in the city where I live. I'd seen at least ten in Auckland before but never one in Hamilton. This was a black one.

I've been in Australia for a whole month (Brisbane, Canberra, Sydney, Melbourne, Perth, and Mackay, all walking through city centres in rush-hour) and I have seen one 500, a white Abarth version.

-Alex

Last edited:
Michael - you would have been in even more trouble if you had asked him if was a Fiat Forum member and did he know that your name is "Loves Handbags"....

Might have been more interesting if it had been Jason in his 500 with his 'after hours getup' giving the guy in the 500c a wave.;)

I've noticed that unlike many other of their kind Fiats have a tendency to flock together while resting in car parks waiting for their humans to return from foraging.

(*in best Attenborough voice*)
Surely it is this behaviour which ensures species survival in such though environment and which might ultimately lead to greater number of these magnificent beasts in our midst.

I hate matte black cars, or matte any colour for that matter

Pulled up along side a fiat 500 in this colour a couple of weeks back and it just looked dirty and badly looked after, had it had normal paint then it would have probably looked quite nice because it really only had a bit of dust on it

Back