Technical What happened in 2012 to the Fiat 500

Currently reading:
Technical What happened in 2012 to the Fiat 500

Frogmella

Hello everyone, I'm new here and could use some help.

I recently bought a 1.2 Pop first registered 30/08/2012. On a '12 plate.

I want to give it a full service but every time I go to buy parts online I get told that there are several options or "this part fits some of the cars..." For example, Euro Car Parts lists about 5 different spark plugs and instructs me to check "fitment" details but when I do I'm none the wiser. Even the oil filters are different.

Can anyone tell me what happened to 500's in 2012 (The Haynes manual only goes up to '61 plates). If there was a model change/update how do I know which car I've got?

Also, I've discovered today that I have some oil in the throttle body (and a perished oil box seal). Is there a PCV valve? If so where is it? Haynes doesn't mention one in the index at all

Thanks in advance for any help. I expect I'll be needing a bit now and then as I get to know this car.

Hi all cars go through "progression" a bit of cross referencing is required for parts, I must say the oil filter is a task to get the right one having gone through the same issue for our 59 plate car( I eventually bought a genuine Fiat one I also posted the correct Bosch part number )
Spark plugs say go to NKG or Denso part finder page use Iridium versions, www.shop4parts.co.uk is always a good start, brakes can throw up issues too as there are listings for with and without ABS ( all cars have ABS )
Most of the mechanical items in the Haynes are still valid even today
Replace both "thin" https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184638764176?fits=Car+Make:Fiat&hash=item2afd53f490:g:C-QAAOSwWfxgGslW&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAAsCbORAUVjXS3IUkPGqTL4Kazyn6QQGn2BflDsyJYeeb2hh/aSW0B104ShouutZ4Xr2utrnxITfPrWFzdyHOjwB4YLCUkwRD1BYOJzCMnnSsprMsGkTSIbsnvG3T0/i7p05O7uEVxsjnYfE3Z4brH2xrFCdEW0mISPQ5xpT3TOBCl7Q3vQSnp6AYh1+64ipkqzTrC8G80q8Rw9U+yy6GWmpCHpDirLZ5QhNG9hyN91ecz|tkp:Bk9SR-7Tg4_DYQ and thick https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222464623952?fits=Car+Make:Fiat|Model:500&hash=item33cbecc550:g:fS8AAOSwQ6BiF5f0&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAA8AA8k9ZqaSgYEbF61tUmvjrgcwLXRGDN7GF7PV+tvovLWiXQALOvrRiZeOjnnQA1EfWQvkSkU0CDqlAFXJZL5xF8O+606hwvANwEl2wH4mNZJCD4n7gUI+Oi27UQhJlwBruFpBJuOLj1vHNXBDTcvelJSWDSO8pR9slmQ/t6TAu1Zt5P57xbSzmAdISFGz04r55iVf/pwKrs9Z2bekZ6X8BPVbMqCLwemQS1GrQENbcWQ6rId1dQCcnuw12kjxWh4c/oTobvcq6vr11mNVAfEAdos3R0CrYRUle1qgwAHQ+ftQlhjllBywP1QiPlDsy1RA==|tkp:BFBM7NODj8Nh breather hoses being VERY careful when removing the airbox ( breather hose ) don't overly worry about the oil.

Two things to check Engine earth strap to gearbox, will be toast if its not been replaced, wiring to rear hatch, a very well known problem, if anything on the hatch doesn't work check this urgently, rear axle check for corrosion, cam belt changed? Clutch hydraulics can give issues
Sump

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Hi all cars go through "progression" a bit of cross referencing is required for parts, I must say the oil filter is a task to get the right one having gone through the same issue for our 59 plate car( I eventually bought a genuine Fiat one I also posted the correct Bosch part number )
Spark plugs say go to NKG or Denso part finder page use Iridium versions, www.shop4parts.co.uk is always a good start, brakes can throw up issues too as there are listings for with and without ABS ( all cars have ABS )
Most of the mechanical items in the Haynes are still valid even today
Replace both "thin" https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184638764176?fits=Car+Make:Fiat&hash=item2afd53f490:g:C-QAAOSwWfxgGslW&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAAsCbORAUVjXS3IUkPGqTL4Kazyn6QQGn2BflDsyJYeeb2hh/aSW0B104ShouutZ4Xr2utrnxITfPrWFzdyHOjwB4YLCUkwRD1BYOJzCMnnSsprMsGkTSIbsnvG3T0/i7p05O7uEVxsjnYfE3Z4brH2xrFCdEW0mISPQ5xpT3TOBCl7Q3vQSnp6AYh1+64ipkqzTrC8G80q8Rw9U+yy6GWmpCHpDirLZ5QhNG9hyN91ecz|tkp:Bk9SR-7Tg4_DYQ and thick https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222464623952?fits=Car+Make:Fiat|Model:500&hash=item33cbecc550:g:fS8AAOSwQ6BiF5f0&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAA8AA8k9ZqaSgYEbF61tUmvjrgcwLXRGDN7GF7PV+tvovLWiXQALOvrRiZeOjnnQA1EfWQvkSkU0CDqlAFXJZL5xF8O+606hwvANwEl2wH4mNZJCD4n7gUI+Oi27UQhJlwBruFpBJuOLj1vHNXBDTcvelJSWDSO8pR9slmQ/t6TAu1Zt5P57xbSzmAdISFGz04r55iVf/pwKrs9Z2bekZ6X8BPVbMqCLwemQS1GrQENbcWQ6rId1dQCcnuw12kjxWh4c/oTobvcq6vr11mNVAfEAdos3R0CrYRUle1qgwAHQ+ftQlhjllBywP1QiPlDsy1RA==|tkp:BFBM7NODj8Nh breather hoses being VERY careful when removing the airbox ( breather hose ) don't overly worry about the oil.

Two things to check Engine earth strap to gearbox, will be toast if its not been replaced, wiring to rear hatch, a very well known problem, if anything on the hatch doesn't work check this urgently, rear axle check for corrosion, cam belt changed? Clutch hydraulics can give issues
Sump
Thanks for your interest.

I suppose I'll just have to get down on my back and measure the existing oil filter.

I didn't know about changing the breather hoses (I can't work out how those original clips work so I'll replace them with jubillee clips I think). I saw Paul's Love500 YouTube video about the common faults (after I bought one).

I've done a partial survey. It's in reasonable condition for its year. Sump is on the way out but not yet leaking, Timing Belt has never been changed (74,000) so that is a priority job. I intend to fully "rust-proof" the whole car in the spring. It had an MOT advisory about the o/s lower arm so I'll be changing both before the next one.

It drives nicely, until yesterday, when it started running-on after the ignition was switched off which was why I had the airbox off in the first place. I'm hoping the perished seal was the culprit.

I'll try to tape up the Airbox/Throttle body union until the new rubber seal arrives.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Usually spec' changes when the parts look identical are for emissions reasons. It could be that 2012-13 was when Fiat started making their cars Euro-6 compliant (2015) but it seems a bit premature, so I dunno.

Anyway, a leaner burning engine with lighter grade oil will need different plugs and oil filter than an old smokey.. so it could be that.

I buy my parts on eBay, so I can go back and find out what I ordered last time.. since I can't ever remember.. :geek:

Ralf S.

Back