Technical A couple of questions following new water pump

Currently reading:
Technical A couple of questions following new water pump

HornetUK

Established member
When I picked the car up (1.4 Stilo) it has about 3mm above MIN mark of antifreeze in. When I got home (45 min journey ) and car warmed up it is on the MIN. I thought it usually expanded when hot not went down? Or is it because it has drained into system as newly filled up?

Also I have always used red fiat anti freeze I now have blue stuff in my car what is this type?

Thanks

best i know blue is the older type (it cost me a water pump.. but i think it has that effect on the 1.8 and 2.4 engines only.. either way.. you would require a full flush to replace it to red) as for the level going down.. quite normal as trapped air works its way out.. however.. should you end up putting more than a litter in there and if it keeps on dropping after a few refills.. there could be a leak

Blues the old ethylene gylcol stuff. Shorter life, but lots cheaper. If the stuff stays blue then you know it was properly flushed, if it goes murky or brown, it wasn't, then go nag!

The drop is normal. When I replaced the thermostat on my car the level dropped from max to pretty much the bottom of the bottle 2 days running, I just topped it up to max it it has held the level since day 2. Just water pockets, often in the heater matrix in the car, or top of rad. Takes a decent drive to get them all out. The garage probably ran it up to temp and checked levels as fine. Needs car moving to really get the bubbles out. My car was worse tha most I've worked on!

PS Don't just add water when you top up, most garages are real tight on anti-freeze and use minimum protection dilution because waters cheap, top up with pure antifreeze to help with ratio of water to anti-freeze mix, or use premixed blue. Brand isn't vital, but stay mainstream, comma and someone else, I forget who are the reliable brands(helpful I know). Halfrauds too.

I don't reckon they will have flushed it! Already looks a bit brown! Would most of it have come out when they changed pump or have I now got blue / red mix?!

Thanks again.

filled up it will take just above 4lit could even be closer to 6.. i just don' remember. what i do remember is - after draining the coolant (also for a thermo change) i worked out that about a litter was left in the engine somewhere or other.. so.. if it wasn’t flushed.. you've a mix of blue/red.. and.. it is not a good idea to mix different types of antifreeze.. if it were me.. i'd drain what's there now and flush the system using a water house --> fill up with pure water and go for a good drive (don’t let it get to op temp.. jalf way is good to be on the safe side)then drain and refill using red (it’d still be a mix but there shouldn’t be much blue left..)

Back