General 850 spider newbie

Currently reading:
General 850 spider newbie

bluemtndrifter

Hello everyone,

Im a newbie, just purchased an 850 spider and need a bit of help, the car came is a new canvas top, but the previous owner had removed the frame and I have no idea how to get the top back together, also i am beleiving there are supposed to be some cables that run through the top and those are missing, any help on where to find some would be appreciated.

My next problem is the car is idling a bit high and seems to want to flood itself out anyone with any techinical info on the engines would also be appreciated.

thanks

Zane

Hi,

can't help with the roof issue.

For the idle issue, depends on what sort of carburettor you have. Assuming you have a 30 DIC.

Generally the weber carbies have a idle speed stop which adjusts the opening of the primary butterfly. When screwing it in or out, you will see the accelerator linkage move.

Another possibility is that the butterfly is sticking open, try some WD40 and a bit of a cleanup.

Another is that the cable is binding. The 850 Coupe has a single strand cable, which if kinked, can be sticky.

There should also be a spring on the accelerator pedal assembly which ensures it returns to correct position when the foot is removed.

For the flooding issue, check the float level on the carburettor. Also check the flatness of the top section of the carby, the 30DIC's seem to be prone to bending. A new gasket may assist with better sealing. If you have an electric fuel pump, check that the delivery pressure is not too high.
From memory beleive that 3.5pds/sq. inch is sufficient. May need a pressure limiting device.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

Im a newbie, just purchased an 850 spider and need a bit of help, the car came is a new canvas top, but the previous owner had removed the frame and I have no idea how to get the top back together, also i am beleiving there are supposed to be some cables that run through the top and those are missing, any help on where to find some would be appreciated.

My next problem is the car is idling a bit high and seems to want to flood itself out anyone with any techinical info on the engines would also be appreciated.

thanks

Zane

Hello everyone,

thanks

Zane
I have instructions which came with a replacement top back in the seventies. Let me know

Back