Technical 60 more powerful than a 75

Currently reading:
Technical 60 more powerful than a 75

Phil

Having driven my 75 ELX for several years now, Ive recentley driven a hire car - a Punto 60S and it accerlaerates much quicker than on my car. Is there something lacking in engine tune? My car recentley has been serviced. The only difference I can spot between the 60 and 75 is the wheels- they are 13" on the 60 compared to 14" on the 75 which would go part way to support the acceleration differences. I havent timed my car but according to the specs I have the 60 should do 0-62mph in 17 secs, while the 75 does 12 secs.

A number of possibilities, including:

yours has never gone as intended.. and the rental car has enjoyed the "Italian tune-up" - I.E. it has been thrashed, but not harmed, and going absolutely spot on...

more likely the torque figures for the two engines will make the 60 feel more lively - maximum at 2500 rpm:

75 ELX
Max. torque
(DIN) 109.0 nm (80 lbft) (11.1 kgm)
@4000 rpm

according to
http://www.carfolio.com/specifications/models/car/?car=2552

60 MIA
Max. Torque
NM-EEC @rpm 102 @ 2500 RPM

according to
http://fiat.co.uk/Vip/Engines/FIAT/PUNTO/2003.asp

It's my understanding that torque is what makes a car nice(r) to drive.

I'm sure if you really tried the 0 to 60 figure on the 75 would be faster, but we don't _always_ want to drive like that [}:)]

Cheers for the reply, John H,
I didn’t realise the difference in rpms makes that much difference to the torque, after all I would have though they were fairly similar engines. However the only upside of my car verses the 60 is low speed town driving, when accelerating away from speed bumps for example, in second gear, my cars is less uncertain than the 60 to pull away.

I think there can be a fair bit of difference in how a car performs. I have an 8v Punto from 2000, so the 60bhp engine. I can breeze past another 2000 Elx 8v out of corners, and it must be down to more than me. Mine started life as a hire car, and so was probably driven hard, but these days, I guess it's difficult to drive an unfamiliar car too hard on unfamiliar roads, so probably helps things. Definatly the torque makes a difference - I can (albeit slowly) accelerate from 20mph in 5th, and often give the engine a bit of low down work to do, as well as some good 2nd/3rd gear overtaking. To me, it's improving the engine - I've had it two years and it keeps getting faster (and it only runs on standard Shell, with no mod's) - so it would be very interesting to actually measure what power it can put out. Does anyone know how that calculate it?

If you can't find another 75 to drive (they don't make them anymore, just 60's, 80's and 1.8 HGT), then perhaps asking a dealer for a drive in a fairly new demonstartor will show the difference that some hire car treatment would give???

Punto Mk2 ELX

Back