General 55S temperature sensor

Currently reading:
General 55S temperature sensor

dav3y

Theres two, one on the back of the CYLINDER HEAD which has a single spade connector and theres a sensor in the intake manifold (part where the water is) which has two connector pins. Which one is for the gauge (originally for the "too late light")?

I fitted a gauge, and i dont know what sensor it is i need to replace, let alone which one i replace it with! I know it's on shop4parts.co.uk but what actual sensor is it, can someone link me? and will swapping them over with no further work make my gauge function?

Just going off sensors in general (not working on these puntos before).
ECU sensor is two wire, ECU sends voltage to it and reads the voltage back, higher the temp higher the voltage returning (negative temperature coefficient NTC sensor) , your warning light sounds just like a make or brake type of sensor, single wire that sends a voltage that breaks to earth and puts the light on if it goes above a certain temp, you can test this sensor by disconnecting the wire and measuring the resistance to earth as it heats up if you get no resistance reading at all it's the make or break one (90% sure it is, if so it's no good for your gauge)
you need to tap into the two wire, but doing that can interfere with the ECU signal.
Buy one of these and feed your own 12v :D
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IDEAL-EVO...Plumbing_MJ&hash=item45ffa6aac3#ht_912wt_1110
Just cable tie it to a metal part on the cooling system

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
It's the one attached to the cylinder head, if you need a sensor that just tells you its too late, replace it with a Punto 1.1 55 sensor. Failing that, you can fit one from a Punto with a temp gauge, and replaced the clocks in your dash with ones with a temp gauge, and it will tell you your exact temp. Quite useful.

thats what i have done, i got the gauges from a 75SX i wired the rev gauge up to the blue ECU wire (took all of about 3 minuites) and the temperature gauge doesnt work. Like the idea of tapping into the ECU one might give that a go, but ideally i want to know what sensor it is i need. Are they all the same thread pitch and size etc across all the different models?

I'd not use a part sdesigned for central heating!

Demon Tweeks or RallySport will sell you T peices and sensors. All you need to do is measure the tread size.

NTC's are NTC's, they all do the same job just cost way less without the adapters and shiny bits.
Demont tweeks method £42.12
My way £10
All same result. :shrug:

i thought there was a simple (and for less then a tenner) simple swap of a sensor, litterally one out and one in???

ecu sensor did nothing.

the two pins - earth and a 5v~ feed

i tapped into the 5v feed and nothing happened after a 20 mile drive, i mean nothing at all changed. the only thing about that sensor that made my engine weird was when i forgot to plug it back in and i ended up with what i can describe as a subaru lol.

my cars different from in my sig btw ;) suppose i should update lol.

with regards to whoever mentioned the "too late light" when i changed the dials over (litterally swapped the clock for the rev gauge unit and straight swapped the single fuel with the fuel/temp one) i looked at the "too late light" and there is no bulb nor whatsoever any electrical curcitry at all for a light, so i dont know what thats about ..

Basically you need a sensor from a sporting or similar that uses a temp gauge, you'll also need to wire up from the loom, like you've already said you have. You need to run that wire into the clocks with the gauge for it to work. I've done this myself to a 60S before.

a sporting, easy to find i suppose i remember a majority of them were/are broom yellow lol. theres these ones off ebay that are universal but they have one connector and dunno how they can have power and give my gauge a signal let alone an earth? :s

Back