Tuning 1.4 8V in Mk1 Punto 55s

Currently reading:
Tuning 1.4 8V in Mk1 Punto 55s

Hi all, Have done a bit of a scan through the forum on this topic but cant really find the info I'm looking for.
I have been offered a very low mileage 1.4 8v engine from a 2007 Grande Punto, and was thinking about fitting it in my Mk1 Punto 55s, I have a few questions,
Does anyone or can anyone remove the immobiliser from the ECU so I can do away with the decoder and BSI side of things, does the fly by wire throttle pedal assy fit in the MK1 Punto in a sensible way or is there a different pedal assy I need, Also Cooling?, would I need the rad from the Grande Punto or is there a different rad I can use?

Thanks In adavance

Tris

:D

If you have an immobilizer in your p55, you can connect the 1.4 immobilizer to the p55 interior loom, but making the mk2 ecu run with the p55 interior loom is gonna be the biggest pain since everything (including the cluster) will go though the ecu. If you really wanna run the mk2 engine, its easier to run a standalone ecu

You'd be better try and run it off a mk1 punto ecu. Use a mk1 inlet aswell. I don't know if the stud layout is different from the 1242 and 1368 but the 1368 is mpi and not spi like your 55. It could be easier to just use the engine block. Or see if your inlet manifold will bolt onto the 1.4 engine. Either way, cool idea, don't think it's been done before.

In the Classifieds you will find my 1368cc Idea 16V

It's based on the Mk2/2B Punto 188 and has the diluted version of the Panda 100hp engine (rated at 92hp).

You can use the whole loom and bits to make the swap into the older model. It would be easier if you had a Punto 85 or Sporting but going from 8V to 16V isn't that much more of a project than a bigger 8V

Last edited:
My first FrankenFIRE engine was a Grande 8V 1368cc block with the head from a Punto 60S, Punto 75 866 cam'shaft, Panda distributor and TDM850 bike carb's.

The engine worked for a while but failed due to a knackered oil pump starving the crank.

Still toying with the idea of doing this, I have also debated fitting a 16v 1.2 / 1.4 but the early manifold / injection loom & ECU seems to be rather rare, I love my little car but Id really love it a whole load more if it had some serious get up and go.
Ive done engine swaps / conversions of loads of 205 Gti's, they're easy in comparison, everything is very interchangeable and pretty much just fits, wiring is also a piece of cake.
Id be interested to know what brakes / suspension would fit my car as well, maybe uprate all that first, get it driving like a proper gokart / rollerskate and then look at doing an engine conversion.
Thoughts? Id really appreciate some input, got loads to learn

Cheers

Tris

Back