General 550 mile run

Currently reading:
General 550 mile run

Hey you guys get the sixth gear too - had forgotten about that. I love that nice top gear to drop into on the motorway.

I'm lucky with my journeys where I live. My commute and much of my social driving is on dual carriageway, motorway and big easy going national speed limit roads. Last night was very telling... I took my trailer to Normaton (30 miles on the motorway) pick up a suite to replace the one the dog ate.

On the way there averaged 57mpg at a constant 60mph.
On the way back with a marginally heavier load, but a huge aerodynamic incumberence on the trailer I got only 47mpg.

The 1.2 has a sixth gear? cool!

As for the cost of motoring, when I am actually rich (and that means no day-job) then I'll not give a toss.

Hey don't quote me! I'm no expert, as is embarassingly apparent :)
I test drove a 1.4 and that had a 6th gear but I have no idea which models do or don't...

1.2 and 1.4 Stilo have 6 speed box, the rest dinnae.... or do the JTD's have a 6th gear?

All it means is we get shorter first 5 gears to get the car up to speed, and a slightly taller 6th gear for economy. When i compair my 1.2 Stilo, i don't typically compare it directly with any other Stilo in the range.

I compare with similar priced/spec'd cars. I like winding up a friend who has a Polo Twist 1.4. She's got 200cc more, but 5bhp less, same torque, my car is 0.1 secs quicker to 60, and has a top speed a couple of mph higher.... i also get much better economy, and engine that revs a good deal higher, and to top it all 6th gear! :D Oh and she paid more.... and the Polo is a smaller car.

Best thing about the 1.2 Stilo.... knowing you can get mid-40s mpg, and then spanking it to 7000rpm now and then..... 'cos small revvey engines is what Fiat do best (better than most other manufactures too).

It always sounded odd to me to have quite a large car with a small engine.

But I guess it sounds as if the 1.2 is a good one. Should be a good 2nd hand buy in a few years. cool!

If the 1.2 does 70 at 3000 revs can you imagine if it revved to the limiter in 6th? God, would be doing faster than the abarth ;)

The Abarth would be three time zones ahead, though, although as Stiloboy has stated often, he is not comparing it to bigger engine sizes, only similar specced engines in other marques.

ts86 said:
It always sounded odd to me to have quite a large car with a small engine.

But I guess it sounds as if the 1.2 is a good one. Should be a good 2nd hand buy in a few years. cool!

i'd say it isnt even worth thinking that it is a 1.2. its More like a 1.4.
Hey its the same power as the old 1.6 fiat used to stick in the tipo/tempra range with the added bonus of mid 40's mpg (just achieaved 48mpg on a liverpool and back to fife run :D).

With the stilo 1.6 its floating at 37mpg at the moment.

I've also noticed that Fiat have dropped the 1.6 from the lineup, its either 1.4 or jtd (arbarth removed from lineup too) on the 5 door, 1.4,1.8 2.4 or jtd on the 3 door. Although the multiwagen still has the 1.6

Back