General 54 plate Stilo jtd just purchased!

Currently reading:
General 54 plate Stilo jtd just purchased!

ad777

Hi all, just bought this car yesterday...First fiat since the 80s! It's seems to drive very nicely, but when sitting at tickover ther seems to be a lot of vibration from the engine. Can I ask if this is pretty normal for these cars, or should I be investigating further?! Any advice greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
They do seem to idle a little rough, Well my 53 plate MW does, But soon settles down once on the move and warmed up.

Thanks for the reply. Mine seems to drive fine but as soon as I neutral there is a lot of vibration. I will investigate! Thanks again

I did wonder about engine mountings! Certainly worth a look.. This one is up in Perthshire I Scotland! Originated in Edinburgh I believe!

There's a wishbone mount that connects the back of the differential to the chassis... that I've seen mentioned over the years.

Mine (18 yo and 209,000) is the original but quite a few people have replaced theirs.

The other mounts are under the battery and over on the left next to the suspension turret. If you engine "moves about" when you rev it up a tiny bit.. then it's a mount.. just a case of working out which one(s).

Ralf S.

Thanks very much for that! Great advice, I will investigate at the weekend. Wasn't sure about the car but it is growing on me!

They do very much so, I got mine 5 and a half years ago, It's never failed me yet, Starts every time, Gets me where ever I want to go, Still does 50mpg and is comfy.
For a £600 car, she does very well. And is my 3rd Stilo MW Jtd.

Sure they can be frustrating sometimes but what car isn't.

Correct...nothing is niggle free! The only other wee niggle I have is how light the accelerator is...but found a thread where someone had attached a spring to it. If it keeps going the way it has I will be delighted! Will get a full service this weekend.

Hi all, just bought this car yesterday...First fiat since the 80s! It's seems to drive very nicely, but when sitting at tickover ther seems to be a lot of vibration from the engine. Can I ask if this is pretty normal for these cars, or should I be investigating further?! Any advice greatly appreciated.

Hi my 1.9 jtd is the same poor idle vibration,I have checked the right and left engine mount using a long screwdriver against my ear. With engine running place screwdriver onto engine side of mount and ear to handle then to body side of mount and you should notice a big drop in noise on the body side,if not jack up engine side or gearbox side just to take the weight and sit inside car to compare. Also there is the rear mount to consider, and the exhaust mounts ,the rear one on mine had failed,this change made a noticeable difference. Also check for fouls this is any item that has contact with engine/gearbox and body.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great advice, thank you! I changed an injector last night, straightforward thankfully, now running on 4 cylinders! Much improved...but still could improve on vibration at tickover. I will try all you have suggested at the weekend. Thanks again!

Back