General 500 warning noise when engaging reverse

Currently reading:
General 500 warning noise when engaging reverse

Garvina

When I engage reverse on my 2011 500C the warning noise sounds. I have no idea why. Any ideas?

You've got the reverse parking sensors fitted as standard, right? Maybe they're malfunctioning and misdetecting?

Or is it the neutral warning ding that you're hearing? Does your dashboard display say anything?

The car (500c) is manual. Nothing comes up on the dashboard. I'm not close to anything behind. One thing though. It rained incredibly hard this afternoon and the car was outside. Maybe the sensor is shorting? I'll see in the morning, it's garaged overnight and reasonably warm. If no luck I'll get the sensor changed. Not sure if it can be disabled in Menu, probably not.

Final outcome. After a night in the dry the noise had gone. Thus very likely heavy rain had entered the sensor and caused a short. Not a car for monsoon weather but I still greatly like it.

Final outcome. After a night in the dry the noise had gone. Thus very likely heavy rain had entered the sensor and caused a short. Not a car for monsoon weather but I still greatly like it.

I would say it's just water on the sensor blocking the wave pattern it sends out, next time if you give the sensors a wipe with your finger to remove the water and try, if it still false alarms then it could be a sensor fault if not it's just the water

I test drove e new 500C at a dealer yesterday. Whenever I put it into reverse the sensor chime sounded once. I founded this pretty annoying. Then as I reversed into parking spots it started chiming appropriately as the adjacent car neared. So it seemd to me the chime on going into reverse was a confimation that the car was in reverse and was about to head int that direction, not a fault. Either way it was loud and distracting.

It had the old instrument cluster so only beeps. Apparently the new digital instrument cluster adds some visual feedback which would be welcome. Particularity when parting with using rear vision mirrors.

Anyone know if the selecting reverse chime can be disabled if indeed that is what it is?

Anyone know if the selecting reverse chime can be disabled if indeed that is what it is?[/QUOTE said:
We have 500C's in both manual and DL and the manual has reversing sensors but the DL does not. Neither one beeps on selecting reverse. I know some automatics do have such a warning however.

The manual does sometimes beep once or twice if I move it while washing it and I put this down to water on the surface of the sensors.

So it seemd to me the chime on going into reverse was a confimation that the car was in reverse and was about to head int that direction, not a fault.

Oh yeah, it usually beeps once or twice when I put mine into reverse, that's normal. On the rare occasion, it doesn't beep though, not sure why. It's an Italian-designed car after all :D

Last edited:
The noise is supposed to be annoying so people take notice of it

Particularity when parting with using rear vision mirrors.

It's not a replacement for mirrors, it's a reversing 'aid'. You rely solely on the sensors and you'll end up with multiple insurance claims.

My sensors don't beep when selecting reverse.

It's not a replacement for mirrors, it's a reversing 'aid'.

:yeahthat:

and sensors are better than any dash mounted visual aid also, my car has a parking camera and its deadly and I never use it, always the sensors and mirrors, if you look only at the camera you'll be smashing you front wings into things left right and center when parallel parking (n)

Agree not a replacement for mirrors at all. That was a typo on my part. Meant to say "particularly when parking using rear vision mirrors" with regard to the new instrument cluster and it's graphical display. As you scan between the rear vision mirrors you can glimpse the obstacle indicator to help asses its direction and distance.

Interesting that yours doesn't beep going into reverse. You get to miss out on the noise that you are supposed to be annoyed by and take notice of at this point.

Interesting that yours doesn't beep going into reverse. You get to miss out on the noise that you are supposed to be annoyed by and take notice of at this point.

I tend to work on the principle of "I've put the car in reverse so I anticipate that I'm going to be going backwards". Seems to work for me (y) although it could be a self test system which means mine could be faulty. Shame FIAT never tell you how things should work.

I tend to work on the principle of "I've put the car in reverse so I anticipate that I'm going to be going backwards". Seems to work for me (y)
Exactly. That is how I operate too. Hence my surprise at the car I test drove having this annoying characteristic.

Back