General Loud noise & vibration when raining heavily PLEASE HELP

Currently reading:
General Loud noise & vibration when raining heavily PLEASE HELP

Hi again everyone!
I have been under the car to check everything this morning, and in a nutshell NOTHING!!

Rear bumper secure!

wheel arch liner totally secure! screws all in place captive nuts ok clipped in the right places

wheel bearing perfect

drum is sound no cracks or missing pieces including back plate!

As stated exhaust all brand new but no signs of damage, cracks, splits, peeling finish ,or damaged mountings

exhaust heat shields all in place and mounted properly!- back box, tapped to see if anything loose inside -there is not!.

plastic brake line covers all in place with correct mountings !-did vibrate a bit when tapped!, so fitted some improvised rubber dampers to stop any noise!

all Plastic trims at front of car including bumper checked all tight nothing loose that could vibrate!

headlights and drl,s checked to make sure no water could get inside them either !-plastic flaps and rubber bungs all in place no sign of water ingress!

Manifold studs checked for tightness including heat shield /cover

so ive checked everything i can think off unless you guys can think of anything i have missed?

next step is to wait till it rains heavy again then find some standing water and do the previously mention tests

IE- backing off throttle!, pulling handbrake, watching for abs light etc etc if nothing shows up I am just gonna stick with my steam theory until it either stops by itself ! :unsure: or some thing fails Drastically!:eek:to show me what it was all along!
Blinking P I T A though! might have to take up cycling!!!:eek::(:rolleyes::whistle: Sorry had a funny turn there for a moment!!!😁

I would strongly advise against pulling on the hand brake whilst at speed and lots of water, it's one thing at below 10mph but at a higher speed could be catastrophic also not the abs only uses the hydraulic system, gently putting your foot on the brake pedal will tell if the abs is operating. Unless you dynamic stability control the abs will only work when pressing the pedal unless there's a fault like a failing abs sensor, which happened to me in the 80's on one of our Accord's

Thank you for your words of caution John!.
Of course i am NOT going to lamp on the handbrake under those conditions! just a gentle pull with the release button depressed to see if a light contact makes any difference? or stops the noise!
After the release the throttle senario ! a light(very)touch on the hydraulic brake pedal would be the next thing to try!( all dependent on situation/ road conditions etc etc.
thanks for the input and concerns! (y)

Got the car back finally! Haven't been able to test if the noise has been rectified because it's been dry but now I've got a new sound happening 🙃 it's started to sound like a performance car in lower gears like a constant grrrrrrrr sound I can't even describe it.

The mechanics also decided to replace my broken hinge on drivers door handle however they didn't connect the locking thread so I couldn't lock the car from inside. Took it back and they "fixed" it only to have the thread snap when I opened the door so now I have to roll my window down to open the door from outside to get out cause the handle inside it completely disconnected from everything. Not getting it fixed until January cause of their availability 😭

Can I ever win?

Sorry to here this!
bad enough with the noise we have got already let alone a new one! :eek:
I have not been able to test what i have done as rain not been heavy enough so no standing water round my way!.:rolleyes:
Door stuff bloody annoying! 🤬id go back to them again and "INSIST" that as they caused the problem💩 they pay for and sort it out!.
Thats why i consider myself fortunate in as much as whilst im not a mechanic i am a pretty good fitter!(y)and can work logically to remove and replace broken parts and know its been done properly! If you get no joy at the garage(n) perhaps you should name &shame em in the garage section!.:unsure:
good luck getting it sorted!
By the way! "can i ever win!" is a common feeling amongst Fiat owners in general! and 500 owners in particular!;) but YOU ARE NOT ALONE! others out there are suffering with you 😜 chin up!:);)(y)

Sorry to here this!
bad enough with the noise we have got already let alone a new one! :eek:
I have not been able to test what i have done as rain not been heavy enough so no standing water round my way!.:rolleyes:
Door stuff bloody annoying! 🤬id go back to them again and "INSIST" that as they caused the problem💩 they pay for and sort it out!.
Thats why i consider myself fortunate in as much as whilst im not a mechanic i am a pretty good fitter!(y)and can work logically to remove and replace broken parts and know its been done properly! If you get no joy at the garage(n) perhaps you should name &shame em in the garage section!.:unsure:
good luck getting it sorted!
By the way! "can i ever win!" is a common feeling amongst Fiat owners in general! and 500 owners in particular!;) but YOU ARE NOT ALONE! others out there are suffering with you 😜 chin up!:);)(y)
They've kindly offered to only charge me 50 quid for the part and not the labour 😒

Think this is me done with Italian cars, just need this metal box to last me another year at which point I'll make it into tin cans myself.

After some rigorous testing in very wet conditions, im happy to report that whatever the boys did to the wheel has worked and the noise is gone! Woop woop

Most garages will tell you what they have done workwise, you could ask and solve the mystery...

Think this is why my mechanic seems to think it's from the wheel where its gotten curb damaged.

When the sound and vibration does happen I instinctively take my foot off the accelerator but I've never touched the brakes as I'm usually on the mway so tend to avoid using them unless I have to. Not brave enough to touch the hand brake either in those situations lol.

Back bumper is all secure, no spoiler fitted, it does have a glass roof but there are no lose bits or bobs.
The wheel must've been the culprit as that's what they changed

Back