Technical 500 overheating cause

Currently reading:
Technical 500 overheating cause

The garage always top up the water as I take it in.
The coolant I've been adding cos it has been leaking and I've been pouring it in until mid way between min and max lines...
Ive little knowledge of mechanics that's why it went into garage twice and on both occasions within a matter of just over a week they found non leak yet coolant levels were dropping after I drove car and parked.
Nothing showed as a leak yet the level are visibly dropping.
This patch underneath the car drivers side a bit behind the rad area is what is appearing and I assume this must be the coolant or part coolant and something else.
The coolant has to be going somewhere as the levels are dropping. ..
It's a mystery...
All I can do is either go to same garage or a new one and mention gasket and ask them for a throrough check around rad. I would like to think they did this on the previous two occasions the car was there...

Is there a way i myself could look around rad with a torch? I don't have clamps so I would have to do this at ground level
. I like the idea of putting paper around the bottom hose but I'm not sure I can crawl under the car!

I will unscrew the oil filler cap and see what it's like. Should I also check dipstick?

If the reverse of the cap is clean or oily then I assume that's okay but anything mayonnaise like is not good?
If it's looking like mayonnaise would that mean coolant is mixed with the oil?

...just to clarify the car has been pressure tested twice. The coolant that remains in the rad still appears pink from what I can see with shining torch on the bottle. ..there's no pink fluid anywhere on the bottle or inside car...
The patch that appears is black as it's on the ground so I can see if there's any pink in it...
Would it be an idea for me to put a shallow tray under car to catch the drips to identify.....

Thanks...that's why I think I might put a tray underneath.
The fact that the pressure tests showed no leak yet there's a drop in coolant and a recurring patch on the ground would certainly signify something. The car holds pressure, no leak detected yet coolant levels drop and patch appears on ground!...no idea nor does the garage! ...concerned that this could be head gasket. I will call some garages tomorrow to ask them to look at the head gasket and rad. ..

Going by your picture and you saying that the water is under that black cover leads me to think that you have a leak in the main water pipe or the water pump. See the picture attached. This is the pipe. This pushes in sealed with a rubber washer just to the right of that black cover. The other side of it is the water pump. It could be either of those that is leaking.

If you look where both the top and bottom rubber hoses go, they join onto this pipe. It’s got to be one of those, both fairly common. IMG_4188.JPG

Thanks ever so much this is very helpful. I checked the dipstick and reverse of oil cap this morning for any mayonnaise but nothing so I'm now narrowing it down to the water pump or main pipe or the bottom plastic connector on the rad. ...Ive driven the car this morning, short distance and will check coolant level on return.
I've not used my inside heater since this palava started ....
I will keep you updated. ..
You've all been so very helpful and solution driven...shame the garage didn't consider these possibilities when they tested it ....but maybe the diagnostic doesn't test the water pump or pipe or connector?
Has anyone any experience of the pressure test as I know this was carried out twice in order to detect leak yet it showed no evidence! ....

If there was a way in which I could look under the car with a torch then I would!

Also in terms of coolant for fiat 500 is paraflush best as this is what fiat recommends and if so where is best place to get this? Much thanks!

Many thanks. ..what is OAT type?
Could i use Prestone available from tesco or Triple QX Red from Eurocars?
Can either of these be mixed in with the paraflush I already have in rad?

Update: I carried out my own test with a tray under car where the wet patches were. Parked car and let stand for some hours. Found pink coolent in tray. ...not a lot but enough to say LEAK. ...
My question is this: do i go back to garage and explain that their diagnosis has missed this leak. I actually showed them pictures of the wet patches and also showed them through bonnet the area of these patches ..and they absolutely knew the coolant level aas dropping and they kept topping it up.
How could they have missed this? They told me they did all tests they could, and I'm not necessarily doubting this, but how did they miss this when the evidence was there: photos of wet patches, coolant levels dropping below minimum and now I have my own tray with coolant on it and a pink tissue that in soaked in the droplets to check colour....
What can I do?
They suggested the diagnostic yet said they have been unable to find leak!...
The locations of this leak is I believe as you've suggested : water pump or main water pipe and/or connector underneath. ...

Back