Panda (Classic) 4x4 Trailer

Currently reading:
Panda (Classic) 4x4 Trailer

if you are going to go into it, i,d be on the look out for an old forklift, small airport vehicle, a large golf caddy or other electric vehicle. a milk float would be nice as the running gear is strong.. but quite large.

if you have any scrap yards local to you, get in with them. the motors our ones get are sweet.

the best thing with a brushed DC motor is that you could use it regeneratively. so say if you are rolling down a large hill you could recharge the batteries with any power made from going down hills.

theres some pretty awesome speed controllers out now days that fully support regen braking.

but for basics find something that already has had it built in.

dont forget that if you wanna have a bit of speed, you could find a CVT gear box (like the panda selecta but a bit more beefy) and use that on the motor so you can get it to do 60 easy.

its all possible with a hammer, grinder and welder!

Hmmm, good ideas in there John.
Golf cart would be perfect but they seem to be a grand and I'm too tight/poor to pay that.
Not bothered about speed. Looking at what's lying around could I use a starter motor - they're torquey a handy 12v too?

hmm starter motors are a bit naff for long use, with them only being 12v they draw stupid amounts of amps meaning you will need cables the size of your arms to give it power. not only that but speed controllers are hard to come by at 12v that deliver the amps needed.

if it was me building it, i would use 48 volts (4x car batteries) or higher. just because a 48v motor would use 3x less amps than one on 12v.
speed controllers also become more efficient at higher voltages.

to charge the 48v battery bank you could just get a simple DC to DC voltage booster.

this is what i would go for... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/lynch-electric-motor-curtis-controller-36v-48v-go-kart-motor-bike-push-bike-/301202346154?pt=UK_Toys_Games_Outdoor_Toys_Bikes_Ride_Ons_LE&hash=item46210f10aa

it has all the drivers too. 350 amps is quite high for 48v. it gives more than that motor would draw. its a shame that motor is not more powerfull. the car would not move very fast with that particular motor

however proper decent motors are usually 3 phase BLDC (brushless DC)

my brother is working on an E bike project at the moment using a 3 phase brushless motor but the kit was all bought new. me.. i would have built it all from scratch heh.

edit: looking around on ebay i just found >>This<< cool stuff..

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
V=IR is all I can remember from physics, and I'm not sure I understood it then. But I think I get what you're saying.
The BM is lovely, but if it were mine a creamy straight six would be the choice.

For the fun of this, I'll settle for low speed and minimal range in exchange for low price to 'prove' the concept.

Just watched TT Zero bikes push the IoM lap record up to 119mph. Wonder if there are any spare bits coming off the ferries in to Liverpool this weekend...?

While Dragon Man and I refine our technological advances, we thought the 4x4 trailer could be put to less lofty uses.
So we've entered the village scarecrow competition-

20140606_210717.jpg

You're clearly much braver than me John.
I was pondering what the forces involved might want to do in a corner.. As the car moved into the turn and took up an angle to the pushing trailer it starts to get quite nasty I think.
The shorter the draw bar the better, but a big weight in the boot or high nose weight on the towball in order to avoid overwhelming the car's rear tyres and jack knifing.

Eek!

You're clearly much braver than me John.
I was pondering what the forces involved might want to do in a corner.. As the car moved into the turn and took up an angle to the pushing trailer it starts to get quite nasty I think.
The shorter the draw bar the better, but a big weight in the boot or high nose weight on the towball in order to avoid overwhelming the car's rear tyres and jack knifing.

Eek!

I have the same concerns sometimes when A framing Pandas around the countryside, taking a sharp bend while going down hill always requires the most caution. :eek:

So, having won first prize in the scarecrow competition I thought it only fair to reward the demi snatch with some attention today.
Much hard staring, sketching, measuring up and mocked up timber battons later..

I have a design!

So now I need some help. - Does anyone have a pair of doors that are too rotten to economically repair but have been kept 'just in case'? - I did until a month ago when they were weighed in. DOH!

Wanted ad placed.

Thank you for looking.&#55357;&#56842;

So, having won first prize in the scarecrow competition I thought it only fair to reward the demi snatch with some attention today.
Much hard staring, sketching, measuring up and mocked up timber battons later..

I have a design!

So now I need some help. - Does anyone have a pair of doors that are too rotten to economically repair but have been kept 'just in case'? - I did until a month ago when they were weighed in. DOH!

Wanted ad placed.

Thank you for looking.?

Yep - pick em up when you come for David's rims :thumbup:

My god this site is good!
Thanks Andy. If David's rims are ready, you've got doors for me and we're up anyway for the Tour Du Yorkshire...

See you Friday night mate.

Sounds good to me - David's rims are in, hopefully they'll be done in time. The doors are here waiting for ya - just be sure to bring your yellow jersey ;)

and we're up anyway for the Tour Du Yorkshire...

Andy do we know any date yet?

On Bank hol monday in Sept my Lasss want to go up north cross the border again, so my finger crossed it's not the same weekend.

... and the " sisley" is ON,

Shell I ask her where she want to sleep?

King's head or down in the back alley?

Last edited:
Andy do we know any date yet?

On Bank hol monday in Sept my Lasss want to go up north cross the border again, so my finger crossed it's not the same weekend.

... and the " sisley" is ON,

Shell I ask her where she want to sleep?

King's head or down in the back alley?

The Alley for sure!

It's ok Jacob we're just talking about the Tour de France/Yorkshire which is this coming weekend.

I am yet to post up about the next Yorkshire weekend for Panda adventuring, but keep a look out as there may just be a thread going up next week ;)

As the late Douglas Adams once said, "I like deadlines. - I like the noise they make as they rush past." -or something like that.

So - can the Snatch Camping 4x4 Trailer Pod be done in a week - to go and spectate on the first stage of the Tour Du Yorkshire..?

Probably not, but let's give it a go anyway.

More head scratching and the first sawdust creation today saw us with half a floor in:

20140629_191808.jpg

Can someone sleep in this on a Yorkshire hillside on Friday night...?

Back