Panda (Classic) 4x4 Trailer

Currently reading:
Panda (Classic) 4x4 Trailer

Another evening's progress saw an initial install of the roof panel -

20140630_194755.jpg

..obviously I'll have to wait until we get it into the wind-tunnel for the final figure, but I'm expecting a drag coefficient of somewhere around 1.

Another evening's progress saw an initial install of the roof panel -

..obviously I'll have to wait until we get it into the wind-tunnel for the final figure, but I'm expecting a drag coefficient of somewhere around 1.

I'm affraid the Drag Coefficient will be higher than 1 Andy, more like 2.1

Attachments

• DragCd.JPG
    DragCd.JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 28
I'm affraid the Drag Coefficient will be higher than 1 Andy, more like 2.1

If this applies (and all the other cars seem of a similar vintage... -- but just look at the fantastic figure for the Uno!) to our beloved "rectangular box"-style Pandas, then it's not brilliant to begin with.... (Confirmed by this page -- using Betty as my exemplar....) :rolleyes:

Having said that, who cares? Their small frontal area -- only beaten by a 2CV and Suzuki Alto(?!) -- makes them streamlined boxes of joy...! :D

OMG!!!

Cd= 0.41 i did not expect to see such a low value, it's even less then Opel/vauxhall Calibra which is know to be the best design of that era with results of 0.56

OMG!!!

Cd= 0.41 i did not expect to see such a low value, it's even less then Opel/vauxhall Calibra which is know to be the best design of that era with results of 0.56

I like a thread that drifts off topic..

I've so far blocked Calibra memories (though I don't mind a nice Cavalier) but Geoffrey Palmer's Audi 100 advert voice over has stuck with me.
0.30 was the figure to get you to the beach before the Germans wasn't it? Flush glazing with hinges that don't look dissimilar to our Panda's helped.

Another step forward this evening. Quite pleased with the amount of space inside. Still many details to work out though, mostly about hypothetical wind and rain conditions and sealing demands.
Tricky.

20140701_170923.jpg

Starting to hear the early rustle of an approaching deadline.
Wheels and tyres, wiring, seals and finish timber work to do.

Weather forecast is iffy for Friday night/ Saturday in Yorkshire. Do we risk it?

Good progress this evening though.

20140702_201055.jpg

Really need my floor hinges to arrive tomorrow though.

If this applies (and all the other cars seem of a similar vintage... -- but just look at the fantastic figure for the Uno!) to our beloved "rectangular box"-style Pandas, then it's not brilliant to begin with.... (Confirmed by this page -- using Betty as my exemplar....) :rolleyes:

Having said that, who cares? Their small frontal area -- only beaten by a 2CV and Suzuki Alto(?!) -- makes them streamlined boxes of joy...! :D

Interestingly enough one of the worst things aerodynamically you can have on a car is a gutter rail around the the roof of the car - The bit that used to be used to spot weld the roof on, as is common on minis, VW Campers, old land rovers, etc. The gutter rail over the wind screen splits the airflow creating a massive vortex over the roof of the car, this is dragged along with the car and effectively doubles the frontal area.

Back on topic - Good job with the trailer.

Back off topic - I quite like calibras... :eek:

Andy, i wastotaly unaware that your plan is to have caravan trailer. Well thought, keep on with the progress not much time left. Regards how to seal all gaps and connections my initial thought was to use fabric from old kite or parachute fabric- less then £10 for 5x 1.5m of ebay. Fitt number of eyelets like in tarpaulin and tied it down like a tent.

Andy, i wastotaly unaware that your plan is to have caravan trailer. Well thought, keep on with the progress not much time left. Regards how to seal all gaps and connections my initial thought was to use fabric from old kite or parachute fabric- less then £10 for 5x 1.5m of ebay. Fitt number of eyelets like in tarpaulin and tied it down like a tent.
Thanks for the suggestion Jacob, it may come to that if my plans for rubber and stuff, fails. But then there's always a towel.

Besides, I plan to sleep in the car, and daughter is waterproof.

Anyway, hinges arrived, so I'm off for an exploratory drag to see what falls off.

Gutters hopefully.

20140703_193326.jpg
(y)

Last edited:
Interestingly enough one of the worst things aerodynamically you can have on a car is a gutter rail around the the roof of the car - The bit that used to be used to spot weld the roof on, as is common on minis, VW Campers, old land rovers, etc. The gutter rail over the wind screen splits the airflow creating a massive vortex over the roof of the car, this is dragged along with the car and effectively doubles the frontal area.

Back on topic - Good job with the trailer.

Back off topic - I quite like calibras... :eek:

On gutters, I read somewhere recently that the Uno was credited as being the first car to do away with them. Is that right or do Pandas pre-date Unos and qualify as gutterless?
:rolleyes:

On gutters, I read somewhere recently that the Uno was credited as being the first car to do away with them. Is that right or do Pandas pre-date Unos and qualify as gutterless?
:rolleyes:

Yes, yes & no in that order. (y)

The Uno is credited thusly.

The Panda's do pre date Uno's (c 1980 v 1983).

The mk1 Panda up to 1986 had gutters, therefore it wasn't the first. Correcting myself here - I think the mk2 also had gutters didn't it?

Last edited:
Andy is currently fighting against the inevitable push bike traffic, on his way to mine to collect some additions to the 4x4 Trailer...

...the resulting question is; does anybody require the front half (ish) of pair or rotten doors?!

Last edited:
I might be interested in passenger doors, let say 6 inches around where mirror goes on.
... if possible of course.

Mine outer doors skiin rested thru just below where mirror meets weather seal

Last edited:
Back