Tuning 4x4 Sump Guard Design

Currently reading:
Tuning 4x4 Sump Guard Design

Ok I've gone for the "Tuning" prefix but it actually adds a bit more weight so probably the wrong one to choose!

A few people were interested in my sump guard during the latest Panday experience, I have just recently removed mine to fit the new starter and do a service so I took a couple of pictures for whoever may be interested...

It's basically the original framework with an additional crossmember welded between the two front mountings, and then sections of 8mm thick steel slats (75mm wide) welded across the structure.
I went for this design in order to save some weight but also make a very solid design which allows muck & snow to come back out of the guard. This design with the size of steel we used takes some serious punishment without any bending or movement. I have put it through it's paces and never once had any rocks come between the slats.

The guard is still off my car as the rear captive mounting bolts have sheared off and I am on getting some more fabricated, so if anyone would like any more pictures or specific measurements let me know :)

Only problem with that as we've found is that it just gathers mud in the tray and weighs down the front end, plus I wouls be unsure as to whether the rivets would hold a sheet on successfully if you get grounded out. Should be sound enough for a bash guard though :thumbup:

I'll be copying this if I ever get round to building Antonio as a serious offroader. As Gavin has shown my other design is more for show, although it did protect his sump. ;)

To be fair I think we've decided the shocks etc are somewhat past their best, which didn't help! Probably the 3 tonnes of metal perched on the front made this worse ;)

I actually quite like its look now - it still looks good from normal angles, but has a nicely offroaded patina if you look underneath :D

Your sump guard most definitely did it's job Gav, if I had the skills to make one of Vern's style ones I would do for the Sisley, but this one is perfect for my off-roading jaunts in the Silver Panda - it's just a pity the mountings aren't as strong as the guard!

Vern if you are still making the ones like Gav's when I get round to bringing the Sisley out I may just hit you up with an order :thumbup:

Your sump guard most definitely did it's job Gav, if I had the skills to make one of Vern's style ones I would do for the Sisley, but this one is perfect for my off-roading jaunts in the Silver Panda - it's just a pity the mountings aren't as strong as the guard!

Vern if you are still making the ones like Gav's when I get round to bringing the Sisley out I may just hit you up with an order :thumbup:

No problem Andy, I can make more any time. (y)

I like your idea!, it may be heavier than my sump guard covered vith 2.5mm aluminium sheet, but it is "self-cleaning" design :) I remove the sump once a year to remove all the sticks, mud sand rocks etc, it is perceptibly heavier when I remove it before cleaning ;)
5pzf.jpg

Cheers Andy, I am on with mine at the moment, been making my own fireworks in the garage by grinding mine back to bare metal :p will be getting some slats made up at work then to weld them on, not sure if im going to go for your super heavy duty 8mm though, I think 5mm would suffice. Did you just paint yours with rattle cans, or hammerite?

Thanks
Michael

Hi Michael, sounds like you're getting on well with it. Mine is actually painted with black military paint but hammrite should be fine. The only reason i went for 8 mm slats is because we do alot of off roading in it and I know what size the rocks around here! 5mm will be just as strong for a good structure i would say :) make sure you post some pics up when you're done :thumbup:

Got the sump guard sorted over Christmas. I used 5mm mild steel for all parts and painted with black hammerite. I put a fold in the front piece to add a bit more protection.

20131228_135931_zpscc248a1d.jpg

20140102_121521_zps11d30a88.jpg

I had to cut a bit away for that thing underneath the bumper (anyone know what this is for?)

20140102_122023_zpsa85ead09.jpg

Yes well done that looks fantastic! I like what you have done with the angle at the front aswell, it's sure to repell any mud and snow like that unlike mine which seems to collect in that area :banghead: has it turned out fairly light weight in the end?

Back