General 4x4 rebuild underway!

Currently reading:
General 4x4 rebuild underway!

welding underway!

Hey everyone!

Stitch and repair welding is now underway (y) I'm starting from the back and working forwards. I'll post pics of the boot hatch tomoz.
So far, I'm welding and grinding off the weld to leave it smooth as I want the boot hatch rubber to sit well and not snag. As I get to the engine bay I'll be leaving it onion ringed for all to see.
Lots of work to do over the next two weeks befor it hits the bodyshop, but I'll post pics of all my repairs. :slayer:

Nick

Stitch welding making good progress!

Hi peeps

Here's some pics of my MIG welding so far. I'm currently stitch welding the entire chassis for strength and will start the underside this weekend. Then next week the TIG starts for the repairs to holes etc.
Enjoy! (y)

Attachments

• DSC00478.JPG
    DSC00478.JPG
    625.7 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC00479.JPG
    DSC00479.JPG
    830.2 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC00482.JPG
    DSC00482.JPG
    633 KB · Views: 18
  • DSC00485.JPG
    DSC00485.JPG
    843.1 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC00486.JPG
    DSC00486.JPG
    836.6 KB · Views: 18
Seats and Extinguisher system mounted!

Hi peeps

Got bored of repairs and stitch welding temporarily so moved on to mounting some stuff.

For the extinguisher, I created a captive M8 nut and welded it in place. I then ground and polished the weld so it looks good.

For the seat mounts I welded in some box section, and measured all the spacings for my subframes. To this I then added captive M8's and ground and polished once more. Don't look to bad if I say so myself. (y)

Attachments

• DSC00519.JPG
    DSC00519.JPG
    766.6 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC00518.JPG
    DSC00518.JPG
    666.3 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC00516.JPG
    DSC00516.JPG
    815 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC00511.JPG
    DSC00511.JPG
    830.2 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC00509.JPG
    DSC00509.JPG
    904.2 KB · Views: 14
Engine rebuild underway!

Hi everyone!

My 1242cc 8v MPi has started to be rebuilt :slayer:
I'm not going beserk cos I want it to be very reliable and hardy so;
All I'm doing to the block is a bloody good clean, new belts and tensioner, and a new water pump. I've degreased it and painted it red.
I'm buying a new sump and full gasket set.
The head is being reconned by 'BES Engines Ltd.' and they are just acid bathing it, a minor skim and a full rebuild with new inlet valves and oil seals. The cam and followers all seem in good nic so no point replacing them.
The rocker cover is being blasted and powdercoated white. Onto the head I'm then installing a new thermostat, sensors, full head gasket set and new head bolts.
Once all these bits are complete I'm gonna rebuild the whole engine, connect the alternator and exhaust manifold and that's then ready to put back in the car on new engine mounts as I pulled it out (In through the top of the bonnet)

:slayer: Here's a few pics so far. Should be fully rebuilt with photos on sunday night.

Nick

Attachments

• Engine 02.JPG
    Engine 02.JPG
    659.9 KB · Views: 20
  • Engine 03.JPG
    Engine 03.JPG
    781.5 KB · Views: 16
  • Engine 04.JPG
    Engine 04.JPG
    823.3 KB · Views: 17
  • Inlet & Injectors.JPG
    Inlet & Injectors.JPG
    660.1 KB · Views: 47
Re: Engine rebuild underway!

Once all these bits are complete I'm gonna rebuild the whole engine, connect the alternator and exhaust manifold and that's then ready to put back in the car on new engine mounts as I pulled it out (In through the top of the bonnet)

I think you will find it a tight fit an you may well have to use the offical fiat method and fit the engine from below, you will have to fit the gearbox to the engine before fitting either to the car due to the crank pulley.;)

Back