Technical 4x4 All Terrain Tires (not all-season tires)

Currently reading:
Technical 4x4 All Terrain Tires (not all-season tires)

alastairp

Hi all,

I've found this Forum a fount of useful information. I'm hoping for some more information easter eggs when it comes to tyres :) — please note that the discussions around winter vs summer tires isn't the advice I'm looking for as I don't have issues with snow in South Africa :)

Finding decent 4x4 all-terrain tires for the Panda Cross (2017 model) has been surprisingly challenging. I eventually found and fitted the Pirelli Scorpion ATR. They've been doing great, except I've had two side-wall punctures. I use this vehicle to get to field sites on poorly maintained farm roads that can be exceptionally rocky with Table Mountain Sandstone and Granite that produces sharp jagged rocks. I had two farmers take one look at the tires and tell me that I'd have side-wall punctures as Pirelli's (apparently) have thinner side walls; or maybe insufficient side walls (?). I've now seen that just about all the farmers use Cooper tires on their hulking 4x4s because of the extra side-wall protection; but Coopers don't seem to come in the 185 size.

So, my question — any suggestions on a more rugged alternative to the Pirelli Scorpion ATRs? I've looked all over, and although tires have a standard size system, tyre manufacturers appear to really produce poor websites (e.g. if I put in the Fiat Panda Cross as my vehicle on the Pirelli website, the Scorpion tires are not included in the list; and using the size categories has also resulted in tires not being shown that I had confirmed at a dealer actually is available).

As always, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Alastair

In your situation, I'd be looking at reinforced tyres.
I agree with this - look for tyres marked 'XL' (extra load) which means the sidewalls are a little stronger. I have looked around now and again for true 'all terrain' tyres for my 4x4 Panda, but have found nothing made small enough (plenty at 18inches or more). In fact (as @alastairp says) I hadn't even found the Pirelli Scopions in 15 size from 'normal searching'. One alternative route you might try is rally tyres - such as these -- https://www.jdmotorsporttyres.co.uk/tyres/search/?search_query=15" -- but many seem to be remould/retreaded tyres and probably aren't intended to last very long and may not be road legal?.

Edit - just looked at the Pirelli website and they say the Scorpion has reinforced sidewalls... so maybe that's as good as you can get?
1640617545668.png

Last edited:
I’ve had great success with the Riga Maxi Cervinia 185/65R15 on a second pair of wheels. Routinely pulled heavy trailer in mud, plus fun off road in snow and surprisingly good on icy road.
Here’s a pic & vid of snow fun: Fiat Panda 4x4 in the snow towing snowboarders

Attachments

• FC3220CC-4322-4672-A314-856BFAF23EF6.png
    FC3220CC-4322-4672-A314-856BFAF23EF6.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 31
Back