Technical 35mm Lowering Springs - How ??

Currently reading:
Technical 35mm Lowering Springs - How ??

Car nut

Established member
My neighbours just brought in 35mm lowering springs I ordered at the wkd off fleabay.... (y) Quick service :D

Just been on the Punto FAQ looking for fitting instuctions on here but couldnt find any. Is it a a difficult job to do?

Is there a thread anywhere how to change springs?

I will post before and after pics in a few days on this thread when done either by me or garage... (y)

Cheers

Firstly, why?

Seriously, 35mm?

It's not going to help the handling, in fact it'll most likely make it nigh on undriveable, unless all the other components that interact are changed too, shocks etc.

And it'll look like poo too.

Obviously that's just my opinion.

As for "is it a big job?"

Yes, fairly.

Get a Haynes manual, they tell you all about removing and reinstalling springs. Make sure you have a good pair of spring compressors to hand before you start, otherwise you'll never get it apart.

not trying to be funny, but if you dont have a rough idea of what to do chances are that you will mess it up. Not to mention whether you have the equipment needed.

You need a range of spanners/sockets, spring compressors, fixed vice, hammer.... you might need oxy-acetylene to free off the old strut bolts and/or buy new ones (worst case scenario), also a proper garage air impact wrench to free off the top retaining bolt is highly recomended by me (tis a pest to get it otherwise without damaging the chrome surface of the strut)... i think that is all.

i know now that i would never attempt fitting new sprigs without all of the above, it would be easier for you to go to a garage.

lastly... make sure that they re-track the car before giving it back to you (y)

I can't really see how 35mm springs will make it undriveable?? :confused:

It's a pretty straight forward job to be honest but you will need a set of spring compressors as mentioned. I'd also recommend a Haynes manual, if you're gonna work on your car yourself it will be very useful for any job you do. After you've changed a set of springs once it will come naturally next time (y)

Oh, and I'd use loads of wd40 on the bolts ;)

If its a case for spring compressors I'll book it in. ;)

In answer to your question why?(Scoobysnacks) It was an advisory on the MOT that the rear springs were suffering corrosion so I thought I get them changed, I normally change parts as required and dont do unecessary replacements\upgrades when the shocks get spongey I'll upgrade those.
Why 35mm, just to give a better look, ride height and stiffen up the suspension as I believe it needs it as when I corner at speed it feels like it going to topple over :eek: .. IMO

But then I do drive it hard, but its hard driving slow after coming from a 400 bhp M5 :D

Sorry, I was being somewhat facetious.

But I have driven many cars that have been lowered by the simple expedient of putting shorter springs on and unless the person doing the work knows what they're doing, and makes sure they have the correct spring rate, the correct damping etc. it usually results in a car with worse handling than the original.

While it is one step up from taking the springs off and cutting a turn off the top (believe me, I've seen it done, with an angle grinder) it's still not "doing the job properly" is it!

I'm quite a fan of having good ground clearance on my cars, but then my local council is speed bump mad.

My main point was really that lowering the car is not going to make it handle any better unless a whole raft of other suspension work is done too. If it's just for aesthetics then why only 35mm?

Of course, each to their own, but I personally wouldn't bother.

Edited to add:- The shorter springs won't necessarily harden the suspension, as I said this depends on the spring rate amongst other things. And if you expect to get it to handle like the M3 then I'm afraid you're in for a big disappointment my friend. Are you doing front and rear springs, or just the rear? (please tell me you're doing both lots!)

As said above, it's not a really bad job, as long as everything goes smoothly. But it only takes one stuck nut and you end up getting very annoyed very quickly, trust me, I know this! And the nuts on the suspension, being right down near all the salt and grit, tend to suffer from a lot of corrosion, so I'd recommend having a few spare bolts and nuts, and a nut splitter handy.

Last edited:
if you care, get shocks and camber bolts as well, it improves the handling so much more.

But yeah, usually shorter springs are stiffer (which is what nearly everyone wants) and will definitely help with body roll.

Last edited:
Can anyone recomend some shocks ?

As for camber bolts are these standard parts or upgrade ones?

Thanks for any input guys - novice in the Punto World ;)

Sorry if I sounded negative, but I've seen so many threads (on all sorts of forums) with young idiots who buy a set of cheap lowering springs and expect them to transform the car.

If you're interested in doing it properly there are a few manufacturers of uprated shocks and other suspension parts who are good to look at.

If you're serious about improving the handling then you can't go wrong with a set of Spax shocks, but they're definitely not cheap!

spax, or eibach shocks. (or, tbh, any of the big brands)

camber bolts - these work by having a cam machined into them, they replace your bottom strut bolts, and means that you can adjust the camber (of course, the more negative you go the better grip you get, within reason)

I'd suggest getting all this, then taking it to a proper garage that knows the word "camber" (you'd be surprised at the number of garages that dont, in spite of their fancy lazer alignment setup that can quite clearly do this)

im running -1 degree negative camber and .05 degree toe in, and i find that it handles really nicely.

Sorry if I sounded negative, but I've seen so many threads (on all sorts of forums) with young idiots who buy a set of cheap lowering springs and expect them to transform the car.

I take the word "young" as a compliment as Im 40. Idiots I dont...
If you're interested in doing it properly there are a few manufacturers of uprated shocks and other suspension parts who are good to look at.

If you're serious about improving the handling then you can't go wrong with a set of Spax shocks, but they're definitely not cheap!

I agree with you, if you are going to do it do properly, but at the end of the day its my daily hack, my last daily hack a BMW E30, I spent £900 on the car over 2 1\2yrs spent the best part of £7K then when i sold it it went for £3k :(.
Hence i dont want to spend that sort of money off the Punto but do want to improve it. (y)

No, I wasn't calling YOU a young idiot. In fact I differentiated you from the young idiots!

thats some co-incidence :eek::p but yeah i read a few punto forums where they have had this debate, and tbh there were loads of people with stock shocks and -50mm springs, who have had them for a year with no trouble.

Heck, my old mk1 is still going strong nearly 3 years after having -40mm springs (y)

Of course your right in the fact that it puts a bit more stress on the shocks, but they shouldnt fail rapidly unless they were close to being worn out anyway.

all im saying is that you cant generalise like that, especially when you could be scaring newbies into thinking that they HAVE to get new shocks as well :p

thats some co-incidence :eek::p but yeah i read a few punto forums where they have had this debate, and tbh there were loads of people with stock shocks and -50mm springs, who have had them for a year with no trouble.

Heck, my old mk1 is still going strong nearly 3 years after having -40mm springs (y)

Of course your right in the fact that it puts a bit more stress on the shocks, but they shouldnt fail rapidly unless they were close to being worn out anyway.

all im saying is that you cant generalise like that, especially when you could be scaring newbies into thinking that they HAVE to get new shocks as well :p

Aye I see what your saying. im just unlucky lol.

No, I wasn't calling YOU a young idiot. In fact I differentiated you from the young idiots!

Apologies reading it wrong ;)

Dont want to spend big money on the shocks, looks like I'll have to research these a bit more to compare prices(y)

Cheers for everyones input :)

Firstly, why?

Seriously, 35mm?

It's not going to help the handling, in fact it'll most likely make it nigh on undriveable, unless all the other components that interact are changed too, shocks etc.

And it'll look like poo too.

Obviously that's just my opinion.

As for "is it a big job?"

Yes, fairly.

Get a Haynes manual, they tell you all about removing and reinstalling springs. Make sure you have a good pair of spring compressors to hand before you start, otherwise you'll never get it apart.

At the front is a litlle bit difficult but the rear springs are easy.

Seriously, 35mm springs are a very nice choice but they'll have to be about 200 libres minimum..They'll help your car,they'll make it driveable and less 'boat'..But the key is to buy 4 good shock absorvers Koni sport for example or Bilstein sprint.This will make your car unrecognizable!:yum:

If you don't believe me see for your self or look my video on youtube 'GRIGIO-4o GTCC '08' .

But,in any case do not buy springs 40mm or 50mm.You will destroy it and make it undrivable.35mm is the best sollution mate!

So,what springs do you have?H&R,Eibach,APEX,Voglant?

Back