Technical 319 4x4 Subframe query and general buying thoughts?

Currently reading:
Technical 319 4x4 Subframe query and general buying thoughts?

lunchbeers

Established member
Hi all,

In an effort to replace my 4x4 (which I should have never sold) I'm on the lookout for another, and have pretty much settled on a similar 2013 TA model, it's a high miler (118k) but has full Fiat service history up until 80K, and independents from then on, it's had a new turbo and a couple of other bits in the last 12 months (unsure on Clutch/DMF as no receipts. - It's been a single owner and any MOT issues have been promptly dealt with, it's on 4 matched premium tyres so appears to have been well looked after - the interior is apparently unmarked, and the exterior is good too (pictures support this) - I don't mind spannering and can switch out the engine if needs be - hence not being bothered on the mileage.

The car will be a fun third car, so budget doesn't allow for some of the lower mileage examples out there - and if I get rid of my car, I'm losing a huge amount on it so not an option - the only thing that’s a definite dealbreaker for me buying this one is a shagged clutch/DMF/bellhousing as that's just not economical for now.

To be MOT'd for sale, the selling dealer has replaced all the disks and pads, which is great, as the car was not ready for us to view (and drive away) they have also instructed a lower arm and track rod end be replaced (advisories on last MOT) It now has a new clear MOT. Since coming back, the seller has advised that they are not happy with the car, everything points to either knackered bearings/hubs despite me informing them of the excellent post on here avoiding splitting the hubs, or a mis-aligned subframe. I gather the subframe (or part of it) needs to be dropped to access the lower arm fixings - my question is... Anyone know if it is easy to misalign these??... They don't have locating pins?

The seller is away until Friday next so has asked me to bear with them, it feels as if I've been given the runaround - by the time I've been advised that it could be ready, it'll have been a month since my initial enquiry - I've even offered to drive up, buy it , if all is well, and have them carry out the work and ship it down, but at this point, I feel I'm being fobbed off - the seller has claimed they're not happy selling a car they're not 100% happy with, but looking to gauge opinions.... Should I just move on?

Probably £4k, there's another in the area with slightly less miles, but in White, and I want Green with matching interior - would be nice to find winterr pack, and driver's seat height adjustment, and definitely TwinAir.

I haven't gone as far as to call the white one and find out about service history as no mention on the ad, it has had a clutch and exhaust, but wary on big items like the exhaust, especially as some patten parts can be outright nasty.

No rush so I reckon I can afford to be picky about the colours and interior spec.

Bit of a weird one today, car is on their website but is now reserved... the autotrader ad is visible as I have it saved, but doesn't appear on searches.

According to the gov.uk website, a new V5 was issued yesterday... could this be the previous owner has advised that they have sold the car (claiming tax back) or its been sold out from under me?

Fully expecting seller to return from Holiday next week and tell me it either got sold or went to auction in his absence....

Bit of a weird one today, car is on their website but is now reserved... the autotrader ad is visible as I have it saved, but doesn't appear on searches.

According to the gov.uk website, a new V5 was issued yesterday... could this be the previous owner has advised that they have sold the car (claiming tax back) or its been sold out from under me?

Fully expecting seller to return from Holiday next week and tell me it either got sold or went to auction in his absence....
Alas not unusual. I went across to Peterborough, c.80miles, to see a car and when I got there they said oh that was sold weeks ago, in spite of being advertised that day. No apology, I think that was Stoneacre. They just killed any chance of me ever dealing with them again. The man seemed to think it bnormal to drive to see a currently advertised car. It seems that the ads are placed some time before publication and even on the net this means always ring up and check.

When we called, it'd been on a while and was definitely there, in fact he'd used it during a bit of snow, think he was waiting to have some interest before he looked at having the MOT done.

Throughout the guy has been really firm about us coming to see it, he wouldn't ship it or sell it unseen, despite it being about a 350mi round trip and best part of about 9hrs all in (which we don't mind doing), hence me trying to find out as much as I can before confirming.

Yesterday was the first time he mentioned about him not selling it at all if it couldn't be sorted, and it would go to auction if not.

Hoping it's all just a series of unfortunate circumstances... after all, there's others out there, just not in the colour combo I'm after.

Yesterday was the first time he mentioned about him not selling it at all if it couldn't be sorted, and it would go to auction if not.
It's possible that this chap could actually be an honest dealer who doesn't want to sell a car to the public if there is a chance that it has a substantial problem.

Sounds to me to be a good way to build a long term positive reputation.

The more I'm hearing, the more I'm liking this dealer - but not this car.

Don't get me wrong, he's been very good at keeping us informed and he has said many times that he 'won't sell a car he's not 100% happy with' which I agree with, and the reviews of the garage are fantastic...

The car doesn't generally bother me, as I said, unless it's a rot box, or externals/interior is shot, which he assures me it's not, I'll be taking it.

I'll be taking fluids, jump start, tyre compressor, tow bar and my multiecuscan with me to make sure there's nothing amiss.

I've never bought a lemon before, I'm not going to start now 😉

Back