Technical 27mpg?? What happened?

Currently reading:
Technical 27mpg?? What happened?

faster4_tec said:
you mean the 899FIRE? I thought they did a 750, a 898 (non fire) and a 908FIRE, as well as the 999cc Fire?
plenty of pandas about.

And I found a S reg minty silver punto (with mint rear bumper if anyone wants it, I think its your ligght met silver Jr!!, and I am coming home next wkd, as I need a service etc), but scrappy wanted £20 for coil packs from that, done 47k, any other was £15, sounds steep to me, and if it isn't fixed it I am stuffed.

nearly bought a 1993 mazda 626 2.0 16vi today, top spec with aircon (bust) and leather seats etc, for £50!!!! but it was an auto, and didn't downshift very well.

Sounds like a reasonable cost to me, they are far more expensive new! Where in Cumbria are you (or will you be)? I have an 899 Cinq with easily removable coil packs if you want to give a good one a shot and see if it works/ it's worth replacing?

Last edited:
thanks helz, I am coming back to cumbria nxt wkd for a oil change as all my stuff is at home. at this rate it will drink a whole tank on the way home.

after looking on shop for parts £32 new each + postage, I think I will pay his £20. If it dont make any difference I will just ebay them.

Thanks for the offer!

right, I got a pair of coils from a minty S reg 1998 60SX, but they say 8M on them instead of 7F (or some mix of the two), anyway tried em on, both magetti marelli parts (Read nasty). and filled tank, then I have just driven about 60miles down the A1 and back for no reason, filled the tank back in sunderland and still 29mpg!!!

When I was running it to test spark plugs I noticed a huge excess of fuel getting dumped onto top of throttle body, I don't understand why it is there as the injectors are like on the inlet manifolds (4 of them), I have just looked at Jenn's car, (a 55SX) and noticed that my so called 75 TB looks a lot like a 55SX TB, as in it has an orange thing on top of it which is dumping fuel in there, however my bolts are different to hers, and were different to the bolts on my original 60S TB (compared like for like).
IS this 5th injector like a prewarming thing, like a choke or what?? As it is dumping a huge amount of fuel in there.

Also my vacuum air system should be a vacuum right? Just ran it in car park without that top breather pipe on (1" big one to top of air box), and it blows a lot of air OUT at low revs and at high revs nothing, is this normal, or is it mean't to be the other way around? i.e sucking?

Anyway I am going to take these coils back as 'they are the wrong ones' and he has no others from a 1.2 that aren't corroded to hell.

Do you think I need a new 5th injector, My hot air feed from the exhaust manifold into the 75 air box is bust, its still there but is more holed than not, would this be causing the air temp sensor to think the engine is cold and dumping loads of fuel in there to choke it up (warm).
As those little pipe things are like £9!!

also injection system is making that tapping noise that the K series engine in early 90's 1.4 SEi (109bhp ver) made when they were on the way out.

I am pretty sure its the little 5th injector (orange) firing. other injectors are purple and seem to be OK.

faster4_tec said:
also injection system is making that tapping noise that the K series engine in early 90's 1.4 SEi (109bhp ver) made when they were on the way out.

I am pretty sure its the little 5th injector (orange) firing. other injectors are purple and seem to be OK.

Multi point pre-firing injectors always sound noisy even only after a couple thoushand miles, even my dads 03 1.8 16v stilo pre-injector makes it sound like a diesel sometimes. This COULD be the cause of your problem i suppose :(
Im sure they are designed to fill the TB then the injectors suck from that when required. BUT if you have the 75 cylinder head then you woudltn be able to fit a 60/55 TB too it as the port and stud sizes/places differ greatly

I know they do, and i haven't seen any other 75's about recently, I now need two extra 75TB's one for tricker, and one to stop me drinking the planet dry. I can thrash either audi all day long and still get 16-22mpg out of them, if I thrashed the punto at the mo i would probably stuggle to hit double figures.

How much do you recon the 75 preinjector is??

I thought that fuel went to each of the injector (and an electric thing to stop them freezing).

faster4_tec said:
I know they do, and i haven't seen any other 75's about recently, I now need two extra 75TB's one for tricker, and one to stop me drinking the planet dry. I can thrash either audi all day long and still get 16-22mpg out of them, if I thrashed the punto at the mo i would probably stuggle to hit double figures.

How much do you recon the 75 preinjector is??

I thought that fuel went to each of the injector (and an electric thing to stop them freezing).

No idea. Tricker has one 75 TB with my name on it ready to go at the minute :D

As far as the injector system is concerned i really cannot remember and suspect you are probably right.

Back