Technical 215/40/18 on a standard GP??

Currently reading:
Technical 215/40/18 on a standard GP??

Yeah it's there, I think it's just by physics lecturers used to get bees in the bonnets about it being only a reactive force to the 'proper' force which is the centrifugal one, and so fair enough there is the force there but it shouldn't be the one people talk about really should it as it never comes in to play in most cases, especially a wheel! Hammer throw it does when he leaves go, but a wheel never uncoils due to the centripetal force getting bigger. Because it can't get bigger unless the centrifugal one does. All petty, but I was bored! Ha (y)

Yeah I'm agreeing with you, I don't know much about design or wheels and gearboxes but from what I do know, nobody can argue that a bigger mass is harder to get moving. Chuck four wheels on the same size but fill the gaps in with lead. See if the cars harder to get rolling? I think we'll find that it will be. No brainer really.

I was just wondering ... if 215/40/18 alloys/tyres will go on a standard GP (1.2 Stripe), without rubbing, etc. (As far as I'm aware, the abarth esseesse uses these?) ...

When evaluating the options many fall into the `British management’ trap of – accepting information you like, & rejecting information you don’t like.

The good news maybe that the wheel/tyre combo fits. But the bad news is the GP 1.2/8v (64HP) & Abarth 1.4/16v (178HP) have distinguishing performance envelopes. Clearly one needs max performance tyres & one standard touring class tyres.

I believe the GP 1.2/8v version has been dropped from production – presumably FIAT knew what they were doing when they did that. The words `under’ & `performance’ spring-to-mind.

If you want to lower it, put it on 16's or lighweight 17's. Can't imagine it lowering well with 18's plus I reckon they will look too big on the car.-

I've got a 1.3 with 18 inch oz alloys and 215/40/18 tyres, also lowered it and have had no issues. If you want 18's on your car go for it, they will fit and if you don't thrash it around all the time I can't see it being a problem.

... I am aware of these gearbox problems, but these are super lightweight OZ alloys and I will make 100% sure on the gearbox before buying ...

How will you do that?

Those tyres will weigh-in at nearer 11kgs (in contrast to the 7kgs OE fit) - might be OK in Tunbridge Wells, but could prove `disappointing' in e.g. the Rhondda.

Back