Technical 2018 Tipo Starting Without Clutch Pressed

Currently reading:
Technical 2018 Tipo Starting Without Clutch Pressed

Jeff818

I recently picked up a 2018 Tipo Manual, and after reading the owner's manual I expected it to require the clutch fully pressed to start.

However, after a few weeks, I was simply curious what would happen if I didn't, and the car started absolutely normally, the only difference being a warning on the dash saying "Press the clutch fully" with the classic shoe on pedal symbol.

Is this correct whereby it's a warning/best practice? Do Tipos lack a clutch interlock that actually prevents this or do I need a repair? Previous cars I've owned have actually refused to start.

Thanks for any advice!

I recently picked up a 2018 Tipo Manual, and after reading the owner's manual I expected it to require the clutch fully pressed to start.

However, after a few weeks, I was simply curious what would happen if I didn't, and the car started absolutely normally, the only difference being a warning on the dash saying "Press the clutch fully" with the classic shoe on pedal symbol.

Is this correct whereby it's a warning/best practice? Do Tipos lack a clutch interlock that actually prevents this or do I need a repair? Previous cars I've owned have actually refused to start.

Thanks for any advice!
That's odd mine won't start without it pressed

Does the car have cruise control?
If so does it drop out of cruise when the clutch is pressed!

No,the car starts without pressing the clutch. If car is left in gear when you turn ignition on a warning comes on saying press foot on clutch,so you don’t lurch down the road.

No,the car starts without pressing the clutch. If car is left in gear when you turn ignition on a warning comes on saying press foot on clutch,so you don’t lurch down the road.

Hey, apologies, are you saying it's normal if the car is not in gear that it starts without clutch pressed?

Mine definitely does not start in or out of gear without the clutch pressed
Wonder what the difference is as to why some do and some don't?

Guess it's probably down to build date or something?

Not. A great quality video hard to hold phone and start car at some time

Very strange indeed, mine will only show the warning if car is in gear (the warning then goes away if clutch is pressed).

My original post was wrong about warning, realised through some testing, if you "wobble" the gear stick a little too clumsily when car is in 2nd key position, it comes up for a split second, and is repeatable, I guess it activates the sensor thinking its going into gear, rather than activating on a fully engaged gear.

I have not actually tried to start it, while in gear, with the warning showing for fairly obvious reasons so not sure if it'd lurch forward or not start.

But very clearly, mine only shoes the warning you see when its in gear and in 2nd key position.

Mine definitely does not start in or out of gear without the clutch pressed
Wonder what the difference is as to why some do and some don't?

Guess it's probably down to build date or something?

Not. A great quality video hard to hold phone and start car at some time

Well that surprised me? Looks like Fiat has changed the system on certain models then. Mine is a 2019 1.4 petrol turbo lounge

I had a 2017 diesel that when I got it would start fine without the clutch being pressed but for some reason now you have to press the clutch by my 2018 petrol has always required the clutch to be down before it starts.

This post intrigued me.
I have a 2017 Doblo that does not need the clutch pressed to start. No warnings, just works. I was expecting an interlock, especially as the handbook says to press the clutch, but that could just be a general 'best practice' advice.
Perhaps somewhere late 2018 or early 2019 the interlock was added. Without diving under the dash to the pedals, I'm sure my clutch switch must be OK, as the stop/start works.

Back