Technical 2012 Reg 1.2 clutch problems

Currently reading:
Technical 2012 Reg 1.2 clutch problems

CheekyCheesy99

Hi,

Having some issues with the other half’s 500, 1.2 lounge at 91k miles.

Had new top mounts, engine/gearbox mounts and clutch 300 miles ago as the clutch was starting to slip plus loads of knocking noises.

Everything was fine for a while but now the clutch bite point is now very, very high and will slip very easily, a sign that I thought was a old clutch but now it’s back with a new clutch. It’s almost like the clutch isn’t getting enough engagement pressure from the pressure plate.

On top of that if you release the clutch in a specific way you get some horrendous shuddering.

Plus, the clutch pedal movement causes squeaks which it didn’t immediately after the clutch change.

I’ve done a bunch of googling and cannot seem to find what the problem now is, so I was hoping this forum could help.

Slave cylinder wasn’t replaced, but if there is a reason I could get that replaced too?

Model
1.2 lounge 2012
Year
Mileage
The new clutch should not shudder, but
Check the clutch fluid level, it's well known that the connector under the passenger wing corrodes and leaks this is well known to cause all sorts of clutch and gear change issues, it's advisable to do the slave and master, not cheap, if the connector is faulty a repair kit is available

The new clutch should not shudder, but
Check the clutch fluid level, it's well known that the connector under the passenger wing corrodes and leaks this is well known to cause all sorts of clutch and gear change issues, it's advisable to do the slave and master, not cheap, if the connector is faulty a repair kit is available

Clutch fluid is from the same reservoir as the brakes? I couldn’t see separate ones.

Pic just to the upper left of the red dip stick

Attachments

• 20240526_202527.jpg
    20240526_202527.jpg
    8.3 MB · Views: 24
Can’t believe I would have missed that, but obviously it should be there 😂.

Away from the car at the moment but shall line up the slave cylinder and fluid change anyway.

The squeaking is the first sign of a failing slave. I have however doses the slave on our oldest car with silicon spray after moving the dust rubber aside. This has silenced it and the clutch has been as smooth as silk for two months. Bleeding clutch is stu[idly not a service item so just leeding the slave cylinder may give an indication if this is the problem. Its probably worth changing the slave and the master cylinders if you have a new clutch then it should be resolved for a long time as others have already said. Changing these parts (LUK are the original supplier) is easy and takes about 1 hour tops. If that underchassis joint is not leaking, leave it alone. I would put money on it never coming apart. Retain the cars existing pipework.

Nothing obviously wrong with the pipework and the level is OK. So going to replace the slave as I might as well at this point.

Problem I'm running up against now is that I'm finding two significantly different prices between GSF, ECP and Halfords and two different part numbers:

GSF - LUK512004510 - £45
ECP - LUK Clutch Slave Cylinder 137580200 - £125! (Halfords - £40?)

Local garage quoted £122 (LUCAS?)

Last edited:
Nothing obviously wrong with the pipework and the level is OK. So going to replace the slave as I might as well at this point.

Problem I'm running up against now is that I'm finding two significantly different prices between GSF, ECP and Halfords and two different part numbers:

GSF - LUK512004510 - £45
ECP - LUK Clutch Slave Cylinder 137580200 - £125! (Halfords - £40?)

Local garage quoted £122 (LUCAS?)
LUK is the original supplier at manufacture. GSF at £45 for an LUK is unbelievable I bet its £145. £145 is around the going rate. (excessive) Halfords well who knows its much more a sensible price and they are good on warranty but make sure its the same. If GSF are supplying an LUK at 45 its great but again check its identical and check the maker. Some have pipes a new reservoir and fluid already filled. I cant see the benefit. If you just buy a cylinder you will need the O ring to replace the one on the pipe fitting in case it leaks after reassembly. They are tiny things but a bit odd sized. I used LUK and at least its worked right since. The newer car has remained quiet since given a big dose of silicon spray under the pushrod dist cover. I think it revives the original lubricant. While you have access soak the release fork pin end on top of the gearbox with light oil it will help the clutch action in my experience.

LUK is the original supplier at manufacture. GSF at £45 for an LUK is unbelievable I bet its £145. £145 is around the going rate. (excessive) Halfords well who knows its much more a sensible price and they are good on warranty but make sure its the same. If GSF are supplying an LUK at 45 its great but again check its identical and check the maker. Some have pipes a new reservoir and fluid already filled. I cant see the benefit. If you just buy a cylinder you will need the O ring to replace the one on the pipe fitting in case it leaks after reassembly. They are tiny things but a bit odd sized. I used LUK and at least its worked right since. The newer car has remained quiet since given a big dose of silicon spray under the pushrod dist cover. I think it revives the original lubricant. While you have access soak the release fork pin end on top of the gearbox with light oil it will help the clutch action in my experience.

Unbelievable, and also not in stock...!

Garage has confirmed LUK for £122, I was going to have a crack at it if I could get the part for £45.

£205 all in, plus a full flush. Hopefully Master will last long enough (6 months) so we can be shot of it.

Unbelievable, and also not in stock...!

Garage has confirmed LUK for £122, I was going to have a crack at it if I could get the part for £45.

£205 all in, plus a full flush. Hopefully Master will last long enough (6 months) so we can be shot of it.
Its a very easy job. I did it the week after abdominal surgery. If your selling go cheap.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.

Says 2015 on? More than happy to do it myself being an engineer if it’s £45!

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
I suspect most will fit most, that item number is from shop4parts that should fit all 500's that's why I used their Fiat part number to search ebay ?
Just googled the part number and indeed GSF states that fits 2012 cars.

Ordered, now just need some kit to bleed it, some DOT4 and I’m ready to give it a go!

As I understand it's advised to remove the pipes from the slaves and connect the old pipe on the car to the new slave.

Do not attempt to separate the connector in the wheel arch, unless it's leaking.

Haven't done mine yet, but it squeaks when hot so might not be long. Don't we all.

This chap seems to think it's easy to pull the slave apart and service it:

Back