2012 Punto hatch latch malfunction

Currently reading:
2012 Punto hatch latch malfunction

My boy's 2012 Punto Easy (1.4 8 valve) has a microswitch operated latch on the rear hatchback. It's been intermittent in operation for a month or more and now won't open at all when the badge is depressed - I don't think it's operating with the remote key switch either. The car's not here at my house just now but my boy will be bringing it over as soon as covid rules permit and I'd like to get a head start on what I'm doing.

So, first question is, can I trigger the latch manually? I've seem you tube illustrations of a wee button on the side of the latch which can be depressed to manually release the catch from inside the vehicle, but this was for an earlier model of Punto - a grande I think it was.

From what I've discovered it would seem that there are 3 main problem areas. In no order of importance:-

1) It seems that broken wires inside the rubber boot between the hatch and body is a common problem (I've come across this many times before on many different makes of vehicle - why can't they come up with a better design!).

2) Failure of the microswitch in the FIAT badge on the hatch is also listed as common.

3) failure of the actual latch itself, but I gather that this is less common?

Can anyone tell me what is the most common reason for this failure to operate and are there any other problems with it which I haven't yet discovered? - Does anyone know what the circuitry for the microswitch is? I'm wondering if it can be pulled from the badge plug and shorted to force activation? Which would help me diagnose the microswitch itself. I think, from the limited view offered on one of the videos, that there are 3 wires to this plug? If so and if a shorting procedure can be carried out, which wires are connected together (with a paper clip or similar) to achieve this?

Many thanks to anyone who can advise me.
Jock

Hi Jock

I believe that the key should still trigger the lock indepent of the press button

Failure to do do points at a lock:latch issue

Have a read through the microswitch threads in the Grande section

There is probably a means of demounting .. or disabling.. the catch

But might involve grovelling around in the boot :eek:

Hope its a 5 door .. :)

Hi Jock

I believe that the key should still trigger the lock indepent of the press button

Failure to do do points at a lock:latch issue

Have a read through the microswitch threads in the Grande section

There is probably a means of demounting .. or disabling.. the catch

But might involve grovelling around in the boot :eek:

Hope its a 5 door .. :)
Thanks Charlie - 3 door I'm afraid!

Can you clarify what you mean by the key "triggering the lock independent of the press button"? There is no key lock on the rear hatch so do you mean that if I turn the door lock with the key it should trigger the boot lock? but no, belay that, doesn't make any sense does it? As far as I know you can only trigger the hatch by pushing the FIAT badge which acts on the microswitch thus triggering the mechanism or by pressing the boot button on the key fob remote? If neither of these actions result in the lock functioning I'm guessing it points to either lack of electrical supply - so probably a broken wire - or a malfunction in the lock itself? If pressing the boot badge fails to activate the lock but the remote button does result in unlocking then it's got to be the microswitch?

I generally don't like sorting out electrical stuff, but the more I'm thinking about this one the more I'm wanting to get my hands on it!

I have my old boot badge still in the boot of the Punto and there is also a multimeter in there so I will grab those In a moment and take a look for you jock but I believe the switch is just two wires and the switch itself shorts the wires to cause the boot to pop.

Interestingly I’ve had no end of comments on my videos recently from people with this exact problem so was thinking of doing a video on how to open the boot if the electronic release fails, I’m sure there may be some manual lever or trigger somewhere to open the boot, I’m sure every other fiat I’ve had, had one, I honestly don’t understand why Fiat made the tailgate on Grande and later puntos such a pain in the arse, even the old beetle had the badge that flipped out the way to reveal a key operated lock why didn’t fiat do something like that

As I suspected the microswitch on the back of the badge has only two pins and when pressed it shorts the pins together.

The switch can be taken off the badge but I believe that to replace the switch you'd need to buy a whole new badge (at about £45-50 ?)

That said the switch is so simple and they are generally robust its unlikely it has broken. My money would be on a broken wire. One thing to check is if the rear wiper is still working ok as that might help point to broken wires.

The weather hear is cold and its raining so I wasn't about to mess about with the latch but I will take a look tomorrow if its any help.

I do have the old badge with the switch off my car so if needed I'm happy to send you the switch for the cost of postage, the badge is basically knackered so i'd probably not send you that unless you really wanted it. The badge on your boy's car should probably be fine so sending just the switch, if needed would probably be a lot easier/cheaper/safer as I could wrap the switch up better.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• DJI_0750.JPG
    DJI_0750.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 136
  • DJI_0746.JPG
    DJI_0746.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 117
  • DJI_0747.JPG
    DJI_0747.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 139
Last edited:
Thanks very much Andy that's very helpful indeed. In fact I watched your video and have your "How To" you tube flagged up on my laptop - I'm greatly enjoying working my way through them! I couldn't quite make out whether there were just the two pins in the plug. I've come across a video for the 500 which seems to show 3 pins which was why I asked that question. If there's only the 2 pins on ours then that greatly simplifies things.

Weather up here has turned nasty, wet and cold or "driech" as we would say. It's likely to be next week I suspect before I get my hands on the car but I'll keep this thread updated when I find out what has gone wrong - Like you I think a broken wire is probably the most likely scenario, unfortunately.

Kindest regards
Jock

Funny the things you never thought to check out. We've had Becky, our 2010 Panda, for a few years now and, despite being aware that failure of the electrically actuated rear hatch lock is not uncommon, I've never thought to check how I could release it in the event it fails to open on the keybutton or with the manual latch under the rear trim.

Now, faced with fixing my boy's Punto for exactly this failure I decided to open Becky's boot while it's working as it should and have a look to see if there is, as I suspect there should be, a manual override.

I'm very relieved to be able to report that there is. Here's a picture of it:

P1090623.JPG

It's the wee metal "tab" which my, uncharacteristically clean, finger is pointing to. Push it to the left - on the car that is towards the Near Side - Passenger side - and the lock releases. Of course with the hatch closed you've got to put the rear seat down and crawl partly into the boot, maybe even using a screwdriver or similar tool to make moving the tab easier - I don't know because I haven't had to try it yet. Great to know how to get in if the electronics fail though. I'm fully expecting the Punto to be very similar and probably other models will have similar provision.

I was reflecting on why they make this so complicated? I'm guessing the microswitch signals the body control module to send a current to a solenoid in the lock which, when activated, causes the lock to trip? I suppose it's so the lock can be actuated with the key remote? personally I'd be happy with a key and manually actuated lock, but I know I am a bit of a dinosaur!

Ha ha ha I was going to ask if that was a stand in stunt finger as it is so clean but you covered that in your post.

Regarding electric boot releases I believe it is cheaper during the new build to have the electric release as it reduces the number of operations on the production line.

Looking at it today there is a little lever on the right side of the latch (left if coming at it from inside the boot) just squeeze the lever into the side of the latch and boot will pop

See picture including stunt finger

Attachments

• CE53E4DA-F1EE-41ED-B405-7EB421408DA4.jpeg
    CE53E4DA-F1EE-41ED-B405-7EB421408DA4.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 24
Looking at it today there is a little lever on the right side of the latch (left if coming at it from inside the boot) just squeeze the lever into the side of the latch and boot will pop

See picture including stunt finger
Thanks Andy. Looks like a more modern version of the one on our older Panda doesn't it. The good thing is it looks hopeful I'm going to be able to get the hatch open quite easily.

Thanks again for all the input chaps.
Jock

PS. That finger looks far more elegant than mine!

Back