Problem with Grande Punto

Currently reading:
Problem with Grande Punto

Thommiecee

Hello guys,

I recently stumbled upon a problem with my ‘06 Grande Punto 1.4.

Four weeks ago all of a sudden I lost electric steering. The red light went on, on the dashboard. After a few hours it went back to normal, and then back to error every once in a while. After a week I went to the garage. My garage guy said it would probably be the accu, so I had it replaced. The problem was gone for three weeks. Last week electric steering stopped again. My garage guy said it would probably be a steeringsensor. I drove for 2,5 hours to a guy that could replace that. The guy over there did some tests. He even putted a brand new steering column in. Problem wasn’t solved.

The guy tested my car on the computer. The OBD test was with a bad connection. It gave fault code U1702 (CANBUS connection problem). Now I don’t know where to start, and how to fix it. Some guy told me it could be the grounding of the battery.

Someone here knows how I can have this fixed? A lot of garages don’t know the solution, and I’m quiet nervous this could be very pricy.

Thanks a lot!

I don't know if it needs to be adapted for the new steering column. That's called proxy alignment.

It could just be the ground wire as the power steering does draw quite a lot of energy. It doesn't hurt to put a thick additional ground wire there.

The garages are happy to write you a bill if you accept all the repairs and start from the most expensive things. It could have been just the grounding there.

Hello eeeno,

Eventually they did not replace the old steering column. They only putted a fresh one in to test of the problem was with the old one, it wasn’t. So the problem isn’t with the current torque sensor, or with the whole steering column itself.

Does someone know how I can check the grounding?

Back