Technical 2012 Punto Evo 1.4 Airbag Node (NAB)

Currently reading:
Technical 2012 Punto Evo 1.4 Airbag Node (NAB)

Bought above vehicle with airbag lights, etc. on and previous owner declared he had tried to repair the passenger seat sensor. Codes read on Snap On Zeus tool C422H/50210, B1053,B10AA, U1726, U1703.00, U1700-00, U0422-81. On inspection seat sensor was totally U/S (previous owner had been quoted £117 approx. for part plus diagnostics etc.etc. on top. So possible blank cheque! On close inspection sensor basically similar to cheap chinese seat sensors the difference being original had a resistor across the two wires encapsulated in semi clear rubber block just before the plastic film sensor part. I was able to remove the resistor and solder it in the same way including heat shrink tubing to the new seat sensor, this I then fully tested to confirm it worked as per original including all sensor operation and correct ohm reading at terminals. N.b. dont try to fit resistor in original position close to sensor mat as aluminium and won't take solder, a few mm down the copper wires will be fine. By using the original connector plug and this being only a simple two wire setup it was straight forward. I then disconnected the battery, removed the seat , stripped the base and fitted the new sensor and refitted everything. Connected Diagnostic tool deleted old codes but was still left with U1726 (airbag node nab) Running "proxi alignment " didn't cure things so rather than have old airbag module repaired I was able to obtain a (genuine Fiat new/box damaged) module, which I carefully inspected to satisfy myself that it hadn't been installed. Fitted and then ran diagnostics and "proxi alignment" successfully and deleted last error code. Fingers crossed appears OK, I say that as I never totally have faith in modern electrics. Finally I would say this repair was done by a fully trained, time served apprentice, City and Guilds, National Craftsmans Exam, over 50 years of full time repair and servicing of cars and light commercials, etc.etc. So if you don't feel entirely confident as they say "Don't do this at home" Regarding the use of chinese components, like most I do have reservations, however after recently buying parts from a main Fiat dealer that arrived in a Fiat bag with all their logo and on inspection in small print was Peoples Republic of China, further more the price in no way reflected it's place of manufacture it's your choice!!!

Attachments

• DSCF0428.JPG
    DSCF0428.JPG
    432 KB · Views: 181
  • DSCF0432.JPG
    DSCF0432.JPG
    402.8 KB · Views: 44
Back