Technical 2009 Bravo 1.6 diesel - very cold draught in driver's foortwell. Help!

Currently reading:
Technical 2009 Bravo 1.6 diesel - very cold draught in driver's foortwell. Help!

Right - got an update. Better half in the car..... me driving at 70.... she can feel the draught - and it is bad (minus 2 outside). It is actually coming from under the dashboard (from the driving position, but your hand under the left hand side) - it was very cold. It can be felt at the feet position but it isn't the source.

Oddly, after 20 minutes or so, the draught slowed down - and while still there (the one I've been complaining about), it wasn't as bad. Was driving at the same speed - with the climate control on auto. Got me thinking it must be something to do with the ventilation system

Any ideas?

Si

mine does exactly the same, the only solution i have found is to whack the temp unto 27 and stick it on auto

Hi chalkstorm.
I have a 58 reg 1.9tdi bravo sport. I have the exact same problem.

I thought maybe it was from when some repair were done to the gearbox and missed a grommet, I've since been back and they've checked any areas that would have been affected and said it all looks fine.

They said they drove a demonstrator bravo and it had the same problem but not as bad. They can investigate further but would need to remove the dash, and if not a fault of theirs I will have to pay. Car was first registered mid feb 2009, so only just in the warranty period still but all they'll say is that's not covered in 3rd year warranty.

I did have a service in September and first noticed the draught on the next long, cold day motorway drive to get 60+mph which was in December. I wonder if mine could be this pollen filter problem.

I will have a look in the light tomorrow, just concerned that it would seem I need to remove the centre console side panneling.

Mine is also a British version so that's right hand drive, with the centre console on my left.

If you do have any more news on any development. Please post, this is all very frustrating, as you say it's ruining a great car.

Many thanks

I have a 58 reg 1.9tdi bravo sport. I have the exact same problem.

I did have a service in September and first noticed the draught on the next long, cold day motorway drive to get 60+mph which was in December. I wonder if mine could be this pollen filter problem.

I called FIAT today who were really helpful - told me to take it into the dealer and then they will open a 'technical fault case' (or something!).

I have driven 300 miles today - with a plastic bag gaffa taped under the dash - and while there is still a draught it is nowhere near as bad!!

Will keep you posted.

I called FIAT today who were really helpful - told me to take it into the dealer and then they will open a 'technical fault case' (or something!).

I have driven 300 miles today - with a plastic bag gaffa taped under the dash - and while there is still a draught it is nowhere near as bad!!

Will keep you posted.
Sounds like your fiat dealer are at least doing something. Can I ask where you've taken yours and when it was first registered, just to find out if you're within second or third year warranty.

Cheers

Sounds like your fiat dealer are at least doing something. Can I ask where you've taken yours and when it was first registered, just to find out if you're within second or third year warranty.

Cheers

Guests in Willenhall - the service lads are first class.

http://www.guestfiat.co.uk/index.php?page=how-to-find-us

It was registered in May 09 - I bought it in August 11 - and they've extended the manufacturers warranty until July 12.... (12 months for me as the 2nd owner)

Cheers for that.
I imagine even the 12 months warranty from buying at a dealer wouldn't cover anymore than the normal 3rd year does. My fiat garage said they spoke to the extended warranty people, and that they wouldn't be willing to authorise and pay for further investigation and for the dash to be removed.

Well I hope if your dealer does then a precedent has been set.

I've investigated more and it would seem that there is more cold air when fan speed knob is set to 0 and there is less when set to 4.

Definately doesn't seem to be from the pollen filter area. It's def seems to from above the steering column, just can't get my hand any further up to find where it's coming from.

Fingers crossed we both get somewhere with it.

Thanks again.

Well.... after another 1,300 mile driving week, I've got home today and rather than book it into Fiat (which I should have done), I've part-ex'd it....

Final straw was freezing cold feet despite wearing boots and woolly socks driving through the Lake District this afternoon heading home. Spent loads of time deliberating and not sure fiat would be able to find it let alone fix it.... and I was always going to swap it afer 12 months... just done it 6 months early!

Good luck all trying to get your problems sorted...

Last edited:
I wonder if there is a flap in the heating and vent system that is knackered. I had severe misting problems in ours. Finally diagnosed (by myself) as a broken recirc flap. The heater panel was showing it as open and closed but the flap didnt move. Maybe there is one somewhere that should be closed but isnt....the bad news is that Fiat plugged it in and it didnt show any errors. To fix the recirc flap is a dashboard out job, so I just opened it. Been fine since

I wonder if there is a flap in the heating and vent system that is knackered. I had severe misting problems in ours. Finally diagnosed (by myself) as a broken recirc flap. The heater panel was showing it as open and closed but the flap didnt move. Maybe there is one somewhere that should be closed but isnt....the bad news is that Fiat plugged it in and it didnt show any errors. To fix the recirc flap is a dashboard out job, so I just opened it. Been fine since

Just reading the thread & thinking along similar lines. Usually, the vents pull air in from the outside world & divert this air over the matrix. I wonder if the problem might be something as simple as the vent hose not connected to the matrix - so cold air is pushed at it rather than being forced through it?
(on the rad, the cooling fan is housed in a cowl which is the same size as the rad, if it wasn't for this cowl, the fan would only be half as good?) and what you feel is simply excess air?

I have the very same problem.

I purchased the car in Manchester and drove it back to Wolverhampton. Its a Dynamic, first registered in Sept 09. Shame Guest, Willenhall didn't fix your problem before ditching the old girl.

I located the problem just next to the drivers side footwell. Next to the vent on the left, there is a seam down the side of the centre console. The cold air blows right through it. I spent some time placing thick packaging foam around the vent.

It hasn't solved it.

I think everyone is suffering from the same problem. There is a draft coming through from the front thingy, you know where the engine is. If the temperatures drop again, I'm reaching for the expansion foam.

Okay,
Got an update on it all. First off, turns out mine has a 4th and 5th year extended warranty. Bad news is its as useless as the normal 3rd year cover.

Spoke to fiat customer relations. Point blank their view is they can't agree to fix for free. Until I agree for them to take the dash out, if they then deem it not a warranty issue, which of they'll say it isn't. Then I have to pay.

More diagnosing on my part. It would seem that with fan speed knob set to 0 lots of cold draught. Crank the fan speed knob up to 4. Divert the air anywhere you want then there is almost no draught. So it would seem that when the heating system draws the air for itself, there isn't enough left over for it to seep/leak out of wherever.

The air intake for cabin air is the black grill below the windscreen. There is an open intake right in the middle. I covered the grill with cling film, went for a drive. I tried a multitude of fan speed and directions and there was no cold draught.

This means the leak is between the intake and heater matrix.
Next step for me I think I may remove the grill and feel down the vent, se if I can find anything. I'm guessing it's a waste of time though.

Does anyone here have access to plans or drawing of the design or anything like that. I'm also thinking if there is this many of us with this fault, then it's not a crack or a break, as mentioned maybe more like a flap or diverter of some sort.

I hope everyone's contacted their local fiat dealer about this and contact fiat customer relations, that's the only way they'll start todo anything, is when enough people report it.

Cheers

Aac.

I tried the site link but it keeps coming up as though its been moved.
tried it taking out 7080 as a website, but its all foreign, clicked the eper tab on the left hand side but that had the same result.

Any other thoughts?

so, try to download bravo eLearn cd from torrent or emule sites ...

This is the exact flap that was causing our Bravo to dangerously mist up in cold conditions. You can remove the scuttle panel quite easily (I did it!!), you need to remove the wipers, then about 4 plastic screws dotted about. Also beware of the trim on the side of the windscreen..

Anyway, once off you can see the air intake, which has a flap hinged in the middle. This SHOULD open and close on pressing the air recirc button. Try toggling this and see if it does so....

Back