Technical 2007 Punto not starting.

Currently reading:
Technical 2007 Punto not starting.

Rechonz

Hello guys,
I recently brought my cousins car of him, 2007 Fiat punto 1.2. I passed my test in August and have just waited a little while to gather the money for insurance etc. The car has been stood on my driveway for nearly 3 months and it got started a couple of times but not enough. The battery died out around a month ago, it wouldn't start and it was defiantly the battery. I brought a new battery two days ago and installed it my self and it was fine, the radio works, lights, all the electronics, I went to start the car and it began to smoke from what I could only assume to be the alternator, there was also a screeching noise. I immediately turned the ignition off in a blind panic. Now the car will not start at all. I have tried bumping it, put petrol in etc.
I've been advised it could be the spark plugs or maybe it's something more serious?
Previously to me buying the car, it was doing around 50 miles every single day, it was then sat and not moved for nearly three months, could that be the reason why?

Thanks.

Sounds as though the alternator has seized, the housing can crack on them and water gets at the bearings.

Hello guys,
I recently brought my cousins car of him, 2007 Fiat punto 1.2. I passed my test in August and have just waited a little while to gather the money for insurance etc. The car has been stood on my driveway for nearly 3 months and it got started a couple of times but not enough. The battery died out around a month ago, it wouldn't start and it was defiantly the battery. I brought a new battery two days ago and installed it my self and it was fine, the radio works, lights, all the electronics, I went to start the car and it began to smoke from what I could only assume to be the alternator, there was also a screeching noise. I immediately turned the ignition off in a blind panic. Now the car will not start at all. I have tried bumping it, put petrol in etc.
I've been advised it could be the spark plugs or maybe it's something more serious?
Previously to me buying the car, it was doing around 50 miles every single day, it was then sat and not moved for nearly three months, could that be the reason why?

Thanks.

Hi , and welcome,:)

the alternator is basically an electric motor bolted to the back of the engine,
it's purpose is to be turned by a pulley and BELT - driven by the engine,
generating electric to power the car through it's battery ;)

as a test..you can remove the belt ;

1, see if the alternator spins by hand - SHOULD be quite free turning

2, start the engine with the belt in the boot of the car ( out of the way)

and see if the engine runs o.k. .. battery light will be on - as it's not turning / generating power to recharge the battery.

being your 1st car - you may well need a knowledgable person to double check your work..,;)

use SEARCH , and the GUIDES to help find the correct info ,
and feel free to ask.., :)
Charlie - Oxford

Back