Technical 2007 Panda problem with starter motor

Currently reading:
Technical 2007 Panda problem with starter motor

Esky

Hi all,

I wanted to get some feedback on a problem I have starting my 2007 Panda Dynamic Multijet Diesel. I've had a look through the forums but the posts I found with similar issues didn't answer my question.

The problem is the car occasionally doesn't start after it's run for a while.

- It always starts from cold
- I have to drive for a few klms before I have the issue
- When I go to start the car, nothing happens, or there is a single click which I understand probably indicates it's a starter motor problem
- Eventually it will start. Sometimes after a minute, sometimes up to ten minutes... it's never consistent. Occasionally it vibrates roughly as it turns over when starting.

I took it to my local mechanic who cannot replicate the problem. I expect they don't have time to drive to the next village each day to see if the car doesn't start, so they've just given me a quote to replace the starter motor.

Before I go ahead with that I wanted to check on this forum to see if there are other things that should be checked... appreciate any pointers, thanks.

Hi :)

My 1248 multijet did similar

Perfect Cold.. once warm it either clicked..or crawled over

In time (months..) it didnt crawl over at all.. it just clicked :eek:

Thinking it was the Classic.. the Ground Cable corroding internally..
I tried a booster cable from battery negative to chassis and engine.. ZERO improvement

So ..while the car was in the air..

I looked at the starter... the nut on the Solenoid was really 'crusty' with corrosion

So I disconnected the battery power.. and
Using a 13mm spanner I undid the nut 1 turn.. wriggled the 'braided' copper cable
(Solenoid to Starter body)

And retightened the nut

100% success ...!!

Starts immediately at every attempt

Top pic shows braided cable and the Crusty nut :)

Attachments

• 20210726_180543.jpg
    20210726_180543.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 94
  • 20210721_191535.jpg
    20210721_191535.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 95
Last edited:
I've had the hot starter motor problem. Cable connections were clean but a new starter solved the problem. I could have faffed about with brushes but for £50 it really wasn't much of a decision.

never had the starter motor fail. Have changed a couple because people are sure they are faulty

it is possible without crawling under the car. You can't see one bolt. But can be undone by feel. But Its easier on ramps.

as far as I remember we have had one fail in all the time I have been on this forum.

I have had two ignition switches fail and have a spare starter motor that works fine but has over 200K on it

When its not cranking at all, I would measure the voltage on the small brown cable

This is about the only fault that can be caused by the earth lead on top of the gearbox. I quick test for this would be to bypass it with a jump lead while its failing.

Thanks very much for the responses. I'm going to have a look at the connections to see if anything needs to be cleaned and/or tightened (y)(y)

Having the car on stands at the moment there's no way I'd want to change the starter from the top. You might get the bolts out (maybe), but you'll not reach the wiring connectors.

Having the car on stands at the moment there's no way I'd want to change the starter from the top. You might get the bolts out (maybe), but you'll not reach the wiring connectors.

You can. Its easy Its how I take them off at the breakers. If you include puntos as well as Pandas I have done this 3 times. I fitted one back in a busy car park.

Once the starter is out. Two bolts. you can maneuver it around with the cables still connected so they are facing up

the only tricky bit is flicking the cover off.

I have put one back on ramps. Its is slightly easier.

Back